Boarding Kennels

My_girls

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I'd like some help.

We have 2 rough collies, one will be 8 months old and the other is 2 years old. The older dog is quite timid and needs the puppy (who is a little more outgoing) to be feel more secure. They are both house dogs when we're home.

I'm looking for a great boarding kennel that will accommodate both personalities for 6 nights.

Thanks in advance. :D

Edited by My_girls

Be very careful, there is a particular place that lets dogs run together - sounds lovely from the blurb but in reality it isn't safe and dogs can escape from the property.

Pick a reputable kennel and ensure that any playtime is properly supervised and numbers are limited to just a few dogs.

I just boarded my dog at my vets where there are boarding kennels, I know he's safe there and is always happy when he comes home. He does not mix with other dogs whilst there and that's how I like it personally. He's great with other dogs but is also an escape artist and is gentle and can be picked on in the wrong situation.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Be very careful, there is a particular place that lets dogs run together - sounds lovely from the blurb but in reality it isn't safe and dogs can escape from the property.

Please let this not be the place I've just booked Ernie into. The place I booked him in, does have foggy playtime but they assured me that they'd assess him and only let him play with like minded dogs.

I'd really recommend Akuna near Maitland. I know it's further away but they do pick up and drop off, and they'll keep your girls together with no interactions with other dogs. That's one of my main concerns these days...

I used to board my two at Pet Resorts in Dural, thinking the two hours of supervised yard play with similar dogs would be ok. One of my two (the timid shrinking violet) came back with scabs on his ears and back legs that were dismissed as probably rough play from my other dog (she never mouthes him).

I then found out they were kennelled with 2 other dogs because it was peak season (so, yes, 4 dogs unknown to each other cooped up together for 22 hours a day). Never again...

Please do not use Meadowmist at Marsden Park. We had a very poor experience with this kennel. I will not go into great detail just to say it has had a lasting effect on our family 12 months on. We are still utterly devastated to say the least. Please be careful where to place your pets.

if all else fails, try pawshake. if you're agreeable, your dogs stay in a home environment for much less than the cost of a boarding kennel. you provide the household with everything your dog requires, your dog in turns gets their undivided attention until you return.

no, i am not affiliated with pawshake but i did use a registered member and my experience was positive.

• Confused 1

I'd really recommend Akuna near Maitland. I know it's further away but they do pick up and drop off, and they'll keep your girls together with no interactions with other dogs. That's one of my main concerns these days...

I used to board my two at Pet Resorts in Dural, thinking the two hours of supervised yard play with similar dogs would be ok. One of my two (the timid shrinking violet) came back with scabs on his ears and back legs that were dismissed as probably rough play from my other dog (she never mouthes him).

I then found out they were kennelled with 2 other dogs because it was peak season (so, yes, 4 dogs unknown to each other cooped up together for 22 hours a day). Never again...

Thanks for that information. I have been told to stay away from Pet Resorts but was never given first hand information. I will definitely be avoiding them.

Please do not use Meadowmist at Marsden Park. We had a very poor experience with this kennel. I will not go into great detail just to say it has had a lasting effect on our family 12 months on. We are still utterly devastated to say the least. Please be careful where to place your pets.

I used Meadowmist years ago and was happy enough with it then. As far as I can see the ownership hasn't changed so I would need more than a single negative review , particularly from a poster who joined in order to publsish the poor review, to not use them.

Tussa - not saying you didn't have a bad experience - just that damning a business without context is a little unfair. I assume from your wording that you lost your pet and if that is the case you do have my utmost sympathy.

I used Meadowmist years ago and was happy enough with it then. As far as I can see the ownership hasn't changed so I would need more than a single negative review , particularly from a poster who joined in order to publsish the poor review, to not use them.

Tussa - not saying you didn't have a bad experience - just that damning a business without context is a little unfair. I assume from your wording that you lost your pet and if that is the case you do have my utmost sympathy.

Sorry but I've heard more than one bad experience with this particular kennel, I've also been there in person and didn't leave my dog there.

Sorry but I've heard more than one bad experience with this particular kennel, I've also been there in person and didn't leave my dog there.

This.

I didn't want to sound overly critical, but HMD perfectly summarised my own experience...

Slightly OT but i find the way they reply to online reviews "interesting"

if all else fails, try pawshake. if you're agreeable, your dogs stay in a home environment for much less than the cost of a boarding kennel. you provide the household with everything your dog requires, your dog in turns gets their undivided attention until you return.

no, i am not affiliated with pawshake but i did use a registered member and my experience was positive.

Thanks so much for mentioning us! I manage the Australian branch of Pawshake and I really believe that finding a perfect pet sitter through our site is a much nicer experience for puppies and parents. The idea of leaving precious babies locked in a kennel in a strange place is sort of upsetting, and whenever I mention my job, people bring up kennel horror stories (:cry:) and are SO glad to hear of a local friendly alternative.

If anyone's still on this thread, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about our service.

• Confused 1

Thanks so much for mentioning us! I manage the Australian branch of Pawshake and I really believe that finding a perfect pet sitter through our site is a much nicer experience for puppies and parents. The idea of leaving precious babies locked in a kennel in a strange place is sort of upsetting, and whenever I mention my job, people bring up kennel horror stories (:cry:) and are SO glad to hear of a local friendly alternative.

If anyone's still on this thread, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about our service.

oh hey, you're welcome and it's good to know you! i said in another thread that i [and my dogs] had a good experience. it was the carer's first time, but she did a good job and for the cost and the time of year, i was so grateful she accepted my reservation :)

i will most certainly use pawshake over a kennel anytime.

• Sad 1