Most Of This Diet Stuff Is Bull Dust

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put my hand up and say I prefer feeding dry food. Much easier, takes up less time, less space, no worrying about whether I got the balance right, and I can use them (or dog rolls) as training treats as well.

Diesel gets fed a homemade diet after he bloated a couple of years ago and had his spleen removed. He also can't have bones for the same reason (stomach tacked to abdominal wall). While I am now in a good routine for him, occasionally I forget to make the vege mix or rice at the right time (2 little kids don't help!) or we run out of his supplement and the pet shop can take ages ordering it in for me. I can't even start to imagine how to do training treats while feeding raw!

after feeding dogs for around 36 years now I can totally agree that most of this diet stuff is bull. I have fed pure raw, pure dry, mixed, the cheapest of foods to the most expensive and honestly none of it made any difference to my dogs. My dog with the most health problems was mainly fed pure raw, the dog with the least amount of problems was fed some of the cheapest food going including huge amounts of rolled oats.

I agree that dogs seem to do very well on a whole range of diets. I'd love to hear more about what people think regarding feline nutrition but perhaps this isn't the right forum :laugh:

One of the problems I increasingly come across is people that are interested in feeding their dogs the best possible food (to be commended) but then find that they just can't exercise their dogs enough to cope with the high protein and fat content in some of the grain-free dry foods. The portions get cut right back and I often think the dog would be happier and do just as well on a lower energy food that may contain grains.

I think we have a lot to learn about many of the popular supplements, both for human and animal usage. For example, turmeric has obviously been shown to have some very positive health effects but several studies have also shown that it can cause ulcers and inflammation of the stomach in rats and mice, as well as increased risk of hepatic cancer. I worry about the lack of scientific information about appropriate dosing and possible side effects in dogs. I do think we will continue to see exciting research in the future about the whole 'food as medicine' concept though.

It's easy to feel overwhelmed! I just feed a good quality dry food plus RMBs and lots of treats (egg, chicken, cheese, 4-Legs, tinned salmon etc). Zig is on Artemis and a bit of Pro Plan plus chicken frames because I think it is the best food for Dalmatians who all require a low purine diet. Em eats and does well on just about any dry food - but corn makes her itch like crazy - plus chicken frames, lamb necks, turkey wings etc.

Cats - the biggest issue is dry food. It's complicated but cats generally don't drink sufficient water to counteract the lack of moisture in their diet. Mine get 1/8th cup Artemis dry in the morning. Dinner is a chunk of human grade raw meat (chicken, beef or lamb for Dizzy and chicken only for Lilly due to an established food allergy), Eagle Pack tinned (particular flavours only due to Lilly) mixed with water plus lysine for Dizzy and paraffin for Lilly. Supper is a chicken neck with a little water. Since I've started adding extra water to their diet UTIs have reduced to zero.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What is even more confusing is that there is no one-size-fits-all "best" diet.

There are dogs that having been fed raw all their lives, have developed protein allergies that now make their owners' lives a living hell. There are dogs that cannot tolerate grain, or develop intolerances to it. There are dogs that seem to do brilliantly on poorly and cheaply produced supermarket kibble plus a few table scraps. Others may thrive on one brand of food, but do poorly on another when the food seems to be of comparable quality.

For hundreds of years, my ancestors fed their herding dogs a bowl of porridge a day and the unwanted parts of the sheep when one was slaughtered every month or so. They wrote how well the dogs did on this diet, but didn't think to mention that the dogs also caught and ate rabbits and other small game several times a week, which made a substantial portion of their diet!

So what is my take? Base your dog's diet on what they do best on, but be sure to frequently include small amounts of other types of food to keep their system up to the challenge of other foods. If you do this in their youth and middle age, then hopefully you won't get dietary intolerances in their senior years, even if there is a family history of it in their lines.

So my dogs are fed mostly raw, but they do get a grain based kibble for about 20% of their diet. I try to vary the raw a fair bit, both between red and white meat and fish and high-fat meat and lean meat. They get the odd whole raw egg, shell and all, too. Pureed fresh green veges with cooked pumpkin and my few beloved supplements of kelp, apple cider, coconut oil and parsley. The odd bit of fruit and some storebought treats in moderation. And occasionally they might even get "take-away" in the form of Nature's Gift canned food which is in the pantry for emergencies.

On the whole, they eat much better than I do! :)

I tend to agree. Most robust dogs are equipped to deal with a variety of food sources. Dogs are not wolves and I think it's fair to suggest their digestion has probably developed slightly differently from when they began to diverge from wolves.

I like the idea of a raw diet but I have better things to do with my time than running around getting offal and blending vegetables. I have tried it and I just found it was taking too much time and effort.

I believe on minimizing processed foods for both myself and my dog- but I don't cut them out altogether.

My dogs diet currently is based on chicken frames, table scraps, fresh mince, sardines, frozen Veges (as a filler only- these usually come out the other end whole!) and a small amount of kibble (usually free samples from work or prizes from trials). She also gets the vets all natural mix a few times a week.

I'm thinking of giving K9 natural a try after hearing good reports from other people.

Edited by aussielover

Having fed my Afghans and Ibizan Hounds the diet of Juliette de Bairacli Levy for going on 35 years now an old fashioned diet but a good one and one I love to feed my dogs and they have all done well on it. They have rolled oats on a morning with yoghurt,fruit sometimes and a bit of honey, and raw meat offal and bones on a night veggies and fish once or twice a week plus a few suppliments.Juliettes book The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat. is well worth a read,but again this diet is not for every one,so just feed what you are comfortable withand what your dogs do well on.

I've fed a range of diets. Like many other posters I can't see that it made that much difference to the dogs' condition or health.

I feed a premium kibble, raw meaty bones and supplement the kibble with some kind of mince or fish. That works for me. What works for others will be different.

I think most of this bull dust is human generated. The day people drop the idea that dogs can only do really well on one diet and grasp that putting a ton of time and effort into preparing your dogs' food doesn't make you a better, more caring owner, I'll be thrilled. It's helicopter dog ownership and the dogs don't profit from it one bit.

Much of the hype comes follows the human health fads with "grain free" leading the current push. And some owners think they are more caring if they follow this stuff. The standard "coconut oil" answer to any dog dietary or health issue is another fad.

There are some basics that need to be satisfied for good canine health. But dogs have been eating grain since we first starting farming it and their dietary systems show adaptions for it. I can't recall dogs eating coconuts before very recently and certainly not in the wild.

Frankly, any dog that cannot do well on a quality common dog diet has no business being bred IMO. I suspect much of the REAL dietary sensitivity we see in dogs has a genetic base.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've been avoiding checking into this thread. Opinionated stuff I post when I'm a little tipsy often gets me in trouble and I'm embarrassed by having to fess up to the stuff I get flamed for. Good to hear I'm not alone in impressions about dog food marketing.

Not sure dog food marketing can be blamed for it. We are doing it ourselves! I don't see too many adverts for Artemis, BARF etc.

I was pretty snobby about dog food until I had to feed Amber what I considered to be the worst dog food ever. Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

I honestly don't think the dog's preference is a very good indicator as quite like us humans, they'll go for good flavours first and have no knowledge of what is "best" for them. Mine would happily eat all the chocolate and lollies if given the chance, he'd probably even choose them over raw meat. Sugars and fats are rich in energy and an opportunistic carnivore will jump the chance to eat anything containing high levels of them. Plus smell is a huge factor too.

Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

I honestly don't think the dog's preference is a very good indicator as quite like us humans, they'll go for good flavours first and have no knowledge of what is "best" for them. Mine would happily eat all the chocolate and lollies if given the chance, he'd probably even choose them over raw meat. Sugars and fats are rich in energy and an opportunistic carnivore will jump the chance to eat anything containing high levels of them. Plus smell is a huge factor too.

+1

If I put a tray of McDonalds in front of my daughter and a piece of steamed fish... I know what would be eaten first :laugh:

+1

If I put a tray of McDonalds in front of my daughter and a piece of steamed fish... I know what would be eaten first :laugh:

Steamed fish is of the devil. :vomit

+1

Steamed fish is of the devil. :vomit

:rofl: yep, give it to me in greasy batter please? For Ronin he has his raw and whole :laugh:

I've fed a range of diets. Like many other posters I can't see that it made that much difference to the dogs' condition or health.

I feed a premium kibble, raw meaty bones and supplement the kibble with some kind of mince or fish. That works for me. What works for others will be different.

I think most of this bull dust is human generated. The day people drop the idea that dogs can only do really well on one diet and grasp that putting a ton of time and effort into preparing your dogs' food doesn't make you a better, more caring owner, I'll be thrilled. It's helicopter dog ownership and the dogs don't profit from it one bit.

Much of the hype comes follows the human health fads with "grain free" leading the current push. And some owners think they are more caring if they follow this stuff. The standard "coconut oil" answer to any dog dietary or health issue is another fad.

There are some basics that need to be satisfied for good canine health. But dogs have been eating grain since we first starting farming it and their dietary systems show adaptions for it. I can't recall dogs eating coconuts before very recently and certainly not in the wild.

Frankly, any dog that cannot do well on a quality common dog diet has no business being bred IMO. I suspect much of the REAL dietary sensitivity we see in dogs has a genetic base.

All of this!