Raw Meat From Pet Shop

wire

The local pet food shop near me sells all sorts of cooked and raw meat meals for dogs. He tells me he gets all the raw from butchers when the use by date has passed. That's ok, I believe him and the shop is spotless and they seem dedicated, hard workers and are proud of their successful business.

I get chunky diced beef from them and the other day when I over defrosted it and it started cooking a bright green colour appeared on the top layer of the beef.

When I asked about it he explained that health regulations (SA) require him to spray an invisible green dye on the meat that will appear if the raw is cooked. This is to make it clear the meat is no longer suitable for human consumption. He said he hates doing it but the health department do check up on it.

Anyone else hear of this?

Edited by wire

Wow, that is interesting and something I have never heard of before. I suppose it makes sense, and probably okay, but I don't think I would like to use meat that old. I do buy lots of meat when its on its last day at the supermarket and that saves me a lot of money. I would expect the stuff beyond use by to be very very cheap to make it worthwhile?

Once I bought some cheap chicken wings from a supermarket with a day to go on the expiry and took them home and they smelled foul (not fowl :laugh: ) - so in the bin they went.

Yeah Yonjur, it really surprised me too. He said it wouldnt harm the dog and they get it from a specific supplier for this purpose but I don't really want to give it to them any more with the added dye. The meat still looks and feels fresh (unfrozen ones) so it's not a slime bucket - he wouldn't get any business if it was.

Their prices are less than the butcher prices and it's very clear it's for dogs. They've got huge T-bone steaks with a decent amount of meat left on them, might get one and zap it to see what happens. The dye doesn't go on things like chicken necks but the diced beef I get looks just like the supermarket rump, chopped up for stews but of corse for dogs. Maybe he only needs to do it on meat that could end up being confused as a human meal. "Honey I cooked us a beef curry tonight, oh, that green stuff is just the kafari leaves that got stuck on the beef - enjoy"!

I buy Coles stuff too, and more than once those packed chicken wings were rank. Buy them loose now and bag them up so I know they're fresh.

And now I think of it, I have never seen a butcher shop put any food out cheaper because of expiry dates....the only logical thing I can think they do with those leftovers is sell them off to the dog shops for on selling.

Edited by wire

Just a tip about supermarket meat... if there has been any issues with refrigeration, they will mark in-date meat down for quick sale... usually fine for dogs, but I wouldn't eat it...

T.

Ouch. As a single mum on disability, I confess to having bought marked down meat for that night's dinner. I'm feeling a bit sick now just thinking about it.

Yes the dye is normally used for pet meat & has been for as many years as I can remember.

Usually you only see a blob of it now & then on an odd piece if you see it at all.

If you are getting a green layer on the top maybe he is a little too enthusiastic in his use of it.

I agree with others the dye is normal.

I too often buy marked down meat for us humans, never had an issue and often I buy it and freeze it, sometimes for several weeks.

From what Wire describes I would have no qualms about feeding my dogs meat from this place.

It is a regulations that dog meat has this dye put on it. It is not anything harmful to your animals. :)

It is their in the hope people will not buy dog meat to consume for themselves hence the colour green.

The green is to deter people purchasing it for themselves. Remember we have many people from some other countries whom may see this dog meat as a source of good food.

Thanks all, you're all pretty spot on. And thanks for the reassurance that it's harmless, as the store guy had assured me.

I'm going to stock up with the fresh meat again and hope I don't accidentally use it in our curry, it could happen.....I've got menopausal brains happening :rofl:

Thanks all, you're all pretty spot on. And thanks for the reassurance that it's harmless, as the store guy had assured me.

I'm going to stock up with the fresh meat again and hope I don't accidentally use it in our curry, it could happen.....I've got menopausal brains happening :rofl:

Just do a Thai green curry :D

Just do a Thai green curry :D

Snap!

:rofl:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Says who? Would you eat a meat that had dye in it?

Don't take other peoples word for things, look into what is actually in the dye and do your own research.

Sas, your question on whether I'd eat food with dye in it was a reality slap (in the nicest way). :hitself:

Of corse I wouldn't and I love my 2 Wheaten terrorists way too much to even take a small risk with their health.

Just a quick google of these food dyes, green & blue can cause allergies and who knows what else with long term use, that and my initial instinct when I discovered it in the beef.....your question above......they're not getting it anymore.

Back to supermarket beef for them and i won't have to think twice about it.

Thanks