Strange Behaviour

swazzie

One of my dogs has been acting a bit weird on and off over the past couple of years and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar with their dogs

I'd like to start by saying there is nothing medically wrong with her.

So every now and then Chloe will decide she's scared to pass through one corridor in our house. She'll either a) won't come out of bedroom to rest of house as she has to walk through the hallway or b) won't go into the bedroom.

She acts kind of distressed like a high pitched bark( note this dog rarely barks and if she does its playful at the other dog, if he's not into playing , she doesn't bark at people who come to door, out on road etc)

Sometimes it goes on for upto 30-45 mins during which time I sonetimes try and calm her down or coax her out or into room.

Once she's passes the hallway ,it's like she then forgets it's an issue and will happily wander in and out thru same hallway, no issue for rest of day.

The frequency is once every few months.

We've said jokingly that she sees dead people ????☺️

The most recent time my three year old small boy got upset because she was ( they are literally joined at hip) but she seemed to calm a bit when he stood next to her.

Anyone any ideas?

I'm not super worried as it not a frequent thing but I do find it odd..

Also should say her eyesight is fine.

Does this happen at any specific time of the day?

Have you noticed if it happens in certain weather conditions?

Chloe is a lab, right?

I have a friend who lives in a big old Queenslander with corridors like you mentioned. Her gal was spooked by the shadows of the trees hitting the walls in the late afternoon when the wind came in.

It's a new house less than three years old.

She's a lab and is completely unaffected by storms and there is never anything in particular I can pinpoint to weather or noise etc

Eg week before last it was late afternoon and then last weekend it was Sunday morning. Both normal days no storms , wind or anything .

Twice within two weeks is a lot usually we get a longer break.

I'm general she is a calm dog.

Lol I stand there thinking what are you seeing doggie. Meanwhile the other lab is standing there wagging his tail and has a goofy lab smile during the carry on .

In all seriousness she genuinely seems to be afraid and I think sometimes she looking at something and barking .

The small boy doesn't have many words yet and last time while chloe was carrying on , he's pointing at the hallway and then blabbing to chloe.

I'm the biggest skeptic though so do think I'm reading too much into it .

My immediate thought was ghosts...

Me too.

Or, something could have happened to her at that particular spot when you weren't around.

Perhaps get down to her level to see if you can see anything that might scare her. It could be the smallest thing.

I'll try that next time.

DH thinks she has issues from before we got her that resurfaces now and then. She was a rescue, but we have her from 1 yr ,she's 7 this year . For the first couple of years she was a little scared of the laundry and anywhere that she couldn't see an easy way out- we think she spent some time confined in a laundry. She ok with our laundry now though and has no issues in bathrooms etc.

When we got her she was scared of stairs, but Bru taught her she so she's fine now, however every maybe 6 mths or so she'll refuse to either come up or go down the stairs - food does help get her moving though.

It's timber floors throughout

I'm not keen on feeding her in our bedroom or in hallway as they eat downstairs.

So many people say to me that she sees something , I'm not wanting to believe that ,as it give me the shivers ???????? however since it something that only happens on and off and does send her really crazy I'm wondering .

It's a new house though , but we did knock our old house and build a new one.

She is a very observant dog when it come to some things, like for example when I was first pregnant and didn't know she was sniffling my tummy area constantly . Any time baby would kick she'd be over with her nose stuck to me.

If DS is unwell she's super sensitive and protective of him.

Edited by swazzie

I would also suggest there is 'someone' else who visits your house every so often :) Babies can sense them - we recently had visitors who reported their baby 'playing with someone' in the night - arms outstretched , giggling as if he were being tickled ..and 'chatting" away ...

I had a spaniel bitch that used to see ghosts. It was very spooky as she would watch them walk across the room and reach out with her nose to sniff their aura as they passed.

She could also tell you exactly where visitors had been, if they had sat in a chair etc without ever seeing them

She used to freak me out at first but I got used to her in the end and thought that she just had en exceptional nose as she was a super working/hunting dog.

My attitude to ghosts is if they are there they're there, whether I believe/know/worry about them or not so I may as well just get on with things and leave them be. Hopefully if I don't bother them, they won't bother me :)

:) good point . it's different when you know them though ;)

Swazzie, it could also be that there is something in or on the roof sometimes that she hears or smells, a weird noise that she notices but humans don't, a smell... As you said, she's a perceptive, sensitive dog so she could pick up on all sorts of things that worry her coz they're out of the ordinary. Also my "special" middle dog will sometimes randomly become alarmed by something normal that usually doesn't bother him, like a blind he just watched someone pull down "suddenly" being in a different position. Last night it was a top hanging to dry on the curtain rod that had been there for hours, he suddenly spotted it amd froze. Who knows what goes through their minds sometimes.