Strange Behaviour

swazzie

My first thought was also a spirit ,the 3 yr old can see as well.One of our dogs in earlier years would never go to a certain area at the top of the stairs,.turned out unbeknown to us someone had jumped from there to the bottom floor.Really terrified me !! Fortunately it was a Reno and we sold it very quickly...Where we live now 4 year old house has a resident spirit..the previous owner died here .Causes no trouble but occasionally turns. On the fan in the kitchen at 3 am , lights on and off. Etc but the house has a really good feel about it , so we don't worry about it. :confused:

My dog is always going off at something...

I'm not that fond of the 3:30am wake up call.

But it usually is something - or her trying to persuade me to let her out the back door to do cat eviction patrol. Cos I used to get her to do that when she was young and both my neighbours had cats that would come in my yard and fight outside my bedroom window.

And she enjoys zooming round the back yard in the middle of the night to make sure there are no cats or other critters. I don't enjoy that so much. So I don't let her out any more.

She did try barking at the freight train too, but at least I can hear that. So I know what that is. She also knows when anyone is walking down the footpath in front of my house or the back lane or the street on the other side of my neighbours. The whole burb is really really quiet at night...

But if I reward her with any kind of attention for waking me up... she does it more. (Argh).

It could be that your dog can hear something that upsets her. Or smell something.

I would try ignoring it, and walking away or calling her past the zone and rewarding with food... practice this eg a stay in the bedroom, walk to the kitchen, call dog, reward with food - about two or three times a week - so she knows this drill and if she gets the "scary hallway" syndrome you can use the routine to get her thinking about something she likes and understands eg stay - call routine = food...

Before my Dad died, I went with Mum to the cemetry as she wanted to show me the plot & how lovely it was. I had Bindi with me & left her in the car under the shade of a tree, while Mum & I walked. After my Dad passed away & I went back to to the cemetry to visit. I left her in the car & only had to go about 20 feet to see Dad's grave. She was not a happy dog....barked & carried on, really stressed out. the next time I visited the grave, I took her out of the car on a lead, & she was still terribly stressed. Didn't bark but kept shaking & panted so heavily :( I amn not sure if she could sense all the "death" around her or if it was just because she could sense that Dad was there. She never had a very close connection to Dad as he was not a "dog" person, but she did spend a lot of time with him before he died.

Have you thought that there might be a resident snake living in your wall. My girl can smell a reptile a mile away & goes all cautious :) But my first thought was a ghost.

My dog is always going off at something...

I'm not that fond of the 3:30am wake up call.

But it usually is something - or her trying to persuade me to let her out the back door to do cat eviction patrol. Cos I used to get her to do that when she was young and both my neighbours had cats that would come in my yard and fight outside my bedroom window.

And she enjoys zooming round the back yard in the middle of the night to make sure there are no cats or other critters. I don't enjoy that so much. So I don't let her out any more.

She did try barking at the freight train too, but at least I can hear that. So I know what that is. She also knows when anyone is walking down the footpath in front of my house or the back lane or the street on the other side of my neighbours. The whole burb is really really quiet at night...

But if I reward her with any kind of attention for waking me up... she does it more. (Argh).

It could be that your dog can hear something that upsets her. Or smell something.

I would try ignoring it, and walking away or calling her past the zone and rewarding with food... practice this eg a stay in the bedroom, walk to the kitchen, call dog, reward with food - about two or three times a week - so she knows this drill and if she gets the "scary hallway" syndrome you can use the routine to get her thinking about something she likes and understands eg stay - call routine = food...

MRB I also have a dog obsesssed with cat eviction patrol. She checks the yard out before she starts her tea. I also agree with the second part of your post as well.

Sorry I don't do ghosts. :swing:

OP I believe there is something there that the dog can smell and it makes it uneasy. Try washing the area with a strong disinfectant

Yeah, I don't "do" ghosts either. :laugh:

I'd guess there is something she can see/hear/smell that you can't (being human and not a dog with better senses) and because it occurs irregularly & because she's sensitive, she reacts.

Could be just about anything- rats, a vibrating electrical noise... if she doesn't know what it is it's more likely to disturb her too.

Dogs can be trained to pick up on earth tremors, seizures etc, their senses are so much sharper than ours.

I did not think about the snake in wall , now I'm stressed about the hallway????????????

She not overly fussed with noises in general ie we have possum galloping across the roof each night and she wouldn't even raise an eyelid - most of the time, aside from these episodes she one step away from slothdom.. Think statue dog.

If she heard the food bin opening though she's be down that stairs like a billet ,ghost / spirit /animal/smell get out of the way.????

But I'm wondering now if she does hear/smell something in walls , even though she's more looking down at floor when she's refusing to come out /in and jumping round .

The weird thing is this all started a few months after we moved in and it started on stairs then moved to top of stairs, which is the problem hallway.

Edited by swazzie

Ok I said to Dh just now about the snake possibility ,as Ive the worst phobia about them.

I got "yeah swazzie a snake move into our brand new house three years ago and it's living on air in there and scaring crazy chloe every few weeks /months!! - no I'm not going to check ????????

Ok then

Ok I said to Dh just now about the snake possibility ,as Ive the worst phobia about them.

I got "yeah swazzie a snake move into our brand new house three years ago and it's living on air in there and scaring crazy chloe every few weeks /months!! - no I'm not going to check ????????

Ok then

If it were a snake, then it would only be a harmless tree snake or a carpet snake. It might just be something simple like a gecko in the wall. Or maybe she hurt herself, ie. pulled a muscle one day going up the stairs & now blames the stairs or the hallway for her pain.

My mum's greyhound does pretty well exactly this. She will walk up the hallway no problem for days on end, and then all of a sudden get to a spot and go "nope, not going any further". We've no idea what causes it either. She will eventually walk 'through' whatever it is that she's got the heebie-jeebies about with lots of encouragement (and food), and then it is if nothing has happened and she's back to walking up the hallway without a problem.

Sorry, can't offer any advice, but just thought it would be nice to know you're not the only one :D

My parents' Alaskan Malamute does this in part of their house. It is old house that they have renovated, and where there is a kitchen now used to be a bedroom. The dog often walks to the door of the room, and then stops and stares. He seems to wait for a while sniffing the air, and then eventually walks through as if nothing is there.

I am sure there are ghosts in that house because I have heard footsteps in the hallway and voices when I've been there by myself. Mali probably sees them!