Sa Amstaff Breeder

HeelerLove

Wow, what a piece of work that guy sounds like.

He was raided by police looking for drugs because "people didn't believe he could make the kind of money he does from dogs." He says "I'm not a drug dealer, I'm a dog dealer".

If he's making the kind of money from breeding dogs that people make from dealing drugs something is very amiss :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe that is something for the ANKC to look at - making certain health tests a requirement?

I don't think Amstaffs to require health testing.. Not sure about Ataxia though - is that a standard test that is done? (Hopefully an amstaff breeder will come and answer for us).

I am seeing more and more staffy's (note that most of these are not purebred or from registered breeders) with HD these days.

Hi, Stuart from Runamuk Amstaffs here. I've been breeding the Amstaff for 15 years now and have had 5 litters in that time, not 5 litters a week like some !!

In answer to your Q above NONE of those health issues are compulsory testing for the Amstaff,..but all breeders should be at least testing for Ataxia,Hips and elbows. I was always of the belief as far as health testing and the ANKC go, for a health issue to become compulsory tested in any breed it first must be "proven" that it's an hereditary breed health problem,...I think that's where all the Red tape is coming from before testing can made compulsory,..trying to prove that a problem within a breed is hereditary/genetical?

Maybe that is something for the ANKC to look at - making certain health tests a requirement?

I don't think Amstaffs to require health testing.. Not sure about Ataxia though - is that a standard test that is done? (Hopefully an amstaff breeder will come and answer for us).

I am seeing more and more staffy's (note that most of these are not purebred or from registered breeders) with HD these days.

Hi, Stuart from Runamuk Amstaffs here. I've been breeding the Amstaff for 15 years now and have had 5 litters in that time, not 5 litters a week like some !!

In answer to your Q above NONE of those health issues are compulsory testing for the Amstaff,..but all breeders should be at least testing for Ataxia,Hips and elbows. I was always of the belief as far as health testing and the ANKC go, for a health issue to become compulsory tested in any breed it first must be "proven" that it's an hereditary breed health problem,...I think that's where all the Red tape is coming from before testing can made compulsory,..trying to prove that a problem within a breed is hereditary/genetical?

Thanks for that Stuart.

From my research on ASTs there does seem to be an issue with Ataxia and HD/ED. I wish more people would research and not buy from breeders, who don't do the relevant (albeit not required) health testing on the breeding dogs.

I am having my first experience with hip dysplasia with a rescue dog (staffy cross) - so not really relevant to this conversation but it would be helpful if more people breeding did the health testing so less pups were bred without issues.

Sadly, the back yard breeders or those only in it for the money, will never health test - all we can hope for is to educate the public, so they only buy from health tested parents and good breeders :)

Been thinking about this article all day- I am so disgusted!

I don't know what is worse- the guy himself (honestly what a douchebag!!!!) or news.com.au for having this kind of dribble as 'news' and essentially promoting a shonky breeder that thinks it's ok to put dogs in cages 10m in the air.

I had been sending media releases everyday about a Nationwide Fundraiser for Rescue Animals and they were not interested but this is newsworthy? I have emailed my contact and said that I am cancelling further advertising and that our next catalogue will be done via letterboxes and that I won't be placing any printed ads for the next 3 months. That one article has done damage to the credibility of registered breeders breeding for the betterment of the breed, not their hip pocket and more people breeding for the "bikie" market will pop up now

Been thinking about this article all day- I am so disgusted!

I don't know what is worse- the guy himself (honestly what a douchebag!!!!) or news.com.au for having this kind of dribble as 'news' and essentially promoting a shonky breeder that thinks it's ok to put dogs in cages 10m in the air.

I had been sending media releases everyday about a Nationwide Fundraiser for Rescue Animals and they were not interested but this is newsworthy? I have emailed my contact and said that I am cancelling further advertising and that our next catalogue will be done via letterboxes and that I won't be placing any printed ads for the next 3 months. That one article has done damage to the credibility of registered breeders breeding for the betterment of the breed, not their hip pocket and more people breeding for the "bikie" market will pop up now

This might of been a paid advertisement "by himself" ? It's something he would do to increase Puppy sales !

Surely his claim about putting dogs 10 metres in the air in cages is blatant cruelty, his boasts of them being hunting and fighting dogs must also raise red flags over the welfare of his animals. I hope his publicity ploy will back fire. I rang The Advertiser and complained about the article, although I am sure they thought I was a crazy dog lady, I was calm and pointed out all the positive dog stories that would be more deserving of a two page spread rather than, the editor gave me the name and contact number of the journalist (Elisa Black) if any one would like her number to chat with her please pm me as I am not sure I should post it.

I saw mentioned elsewhere something like 300 puppies registered in less than 12 months at $2000 - $3000 per puppy :(

People could buy a rescue dog for around the tenth of that which probably has as good a pedigree and health check as what he is offering. It is so maddening!

I saw mentioned elsewhere something like 300 puppies registered in less than 12 months at $2000 - $3000 per puppy :(

I've heard of people paying more than that for his dogs. :(

Yes - I think that was a conservative estimate and wouldn't account for the "rare" blue pups.

His dogs are riddled with health problems and he charges a small fortune to those who want a status symbol. When this was released the number of his puppy owners who came forward and complained about the state of their pets was staggering.

Puppy farmer is nowhere near what this guy is.