Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

Having watched the 4 Corners episode, 3 questions came to mind:

1. If the investigation is to be focussed the greyhound industry, are the low lifes that actually trap and supply the bait animals going to get off scot free?

2. I imagine the piglets were wild caught? Are their litter mates being used to blood pig hunting pups?

3. How are the revelations going to affect the willingness of people to adopt retired greyhounds - given the hysteria about the risk to children every time a dog mauls a cat or another dog?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the tip of the iceberg. The practice has been common knowledge for years and condoned by the money makers.

I wish they had spoken more of what happens when greyhounds don't make the grade as racers, but that's another story.

When it opened with the woman with 70 greyhounds as "pets", I knew we were going to be told a bunch of lies by the trainers/owners. The greyhound industry is the biggest puppy farm in the country.

Sick, cruel people. I hope they do enforce the two years in jail, but won't hold my breath.

The ABC did do a story last year on greyhound wastage, people were outraged at the death of thousands of greyhounds for about 5 minutes and then it was business as usual :shrug:

Yes, but this time there are names attached to those who are doing this and indisputable evidence available. It is up to every one of us to make sure it isn't just business as usual - now we all know the truth.

Well said clap.gif

Do your research there are plenty of names of trainers all over this country that take greys in to be euthed at greyhound vets every single day. Not one or two half a dozen at a time, that's how got my Maddie. So what's your plan of attack? I'm not being smart it's a genuine question to both of you.

This.

It's the same thing every time- "The public must act, we'll stop [whatever] from happening" and then Tony Abbott says something stupid again and everyone forgets and nothing changes.

What I've noticed (and this is probably going to sound a bit cynical but whatever) is that people get all outraged- because it's no real effort- and then as soon as there's any actual work to be done, like a pack of meerkats who have noticed the shadow of an eagle hovering above them, they disappear in the blink of an eye. It really is quite a magic trick.

I can remember that big thing that came up over the destruction of greyhounds- masses of people were horrified by the sheer numbers, the methods used and the cruelty involved when there was an alternative- rehoming. Here was a great opportunity for the public to get behind rescue and make real changes to the lives of real dogs. But curiously.. yeahno. Speaking from my own experience, no increase in donations, adoptions or even interest. Outrage is free, actually helping is not. I've all but given up rescuing because trying to raise enough money to keep going was backbreaking work (for those of us who have ethics, anyway) and yet here are all these people who could make a difference but would rather just talk about it. At the end of the day, it seems like a lot of people just enjoy the communal back-patting and moral superiority that comes along with the outrage so yeah.. I see stuff like this and I can't help but roll my eyes.

Maddy, what makes you think that people like me aren't making a difference already. I personally spend a great deal of my time and money doing just that, and have for years. I do understand what you are saying and people do jump up and down without doing anything to help but many people help in all sorts of different ways. Even talking about it on a forum spotlights it.

Just the tip of the iceberg. The practice has been common knowledge for years and condoned by the money makers.

I wish they had spoken more of what happens when greyhounds don't make the grade as racers, but that's another story.

When it opened with the woman with 70 greyhounds as "pets", I knew we were going to be told a bunch of lies by the trainers/owners. The greyhound industry is the biggest puppy farm in the country.

Sick, cruel people. I hope they do enforce the two years in jail, but won't hold my breath.

The ABC did do a story last year on greyhound wastage, people were outraged at the death of thousands of greyhounds for about 5 minutes and then it was business as usual :shrug:

Yes, but this time there are names attached to those who are doing this and indisputable evidence available. It is up to every one of us to make sure it isn't just business as usual - now we all know the truth.

Well said clap.gif

Do your research there are plenty of names of trainers all over this country that take greys in to be euthed at greyhound vets every single day. Not one or two half a dozen at a time, that's how got my Maddie. So what's your plan of attack? I'm not being smart it's a genuine question to both of you.

Hazy you're right. About 20,000 greyhound puppies are born each year in Australia. A fraction of those are racing, and less than 500 make it into greyhound rescue and overall about 2000 end their lives in loving homes. No prizes for guessing what happens to the rest.frown.gif Your question is a good one I need to think about... adopting a grey and promoting their adoption after Mac falls off his twig would be a start...

Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm well aware of the statistics, I have been involved in greyhound rescue for a while now. In actual fact GAPVIC rehomed 538 greys last year alone so add to that the many other groups and there were far more than 500 rehomed. The rehoming stats have been steadily increasing each year as more people become aware of what wonderful pets they do make.

1. If the investigation is to be focussed the greyhound industry, are the low lifes that actually trap and supply the bait animals going to get off scot free?

2. I imagine the piglets were wild caught? Are their litter mates being used to blood pig hunting pups?

3. How are the revelations going to affect the willingness of people to adopt retired greyhounds - given the hysteria about the risk to children every time a dog mauls a cat or another dog?

One would hope that the low life supplying the bait will be caught as well. No doubt pig dogs are being blooded as well and yes I can see greyhound adoption dropping right off for some time.

Maddy, what makes you think that people like me aren't making a difference already. I personally spend a great deal of my time and money doing just that, and have for years. I do understand what you are saying and people do jump up and down without doing anything to help but many people help in all sorts of different ways. Even talking about it on a forum spotlights it.

Wasn't referring to you specifically but broadly speaking. If everyone who expressed outrage over that issue on FB or wherever had actually tossed in a bit of money (or better still, adopted), countless lives could have been saved. But saving lives never really seems to be the point of these things and that's what bothers me.

The little piglet was a pink domestic farm type piglet - yes just like Babe. Maybe runt of the litter given to the creep by a farmer or maybe he breeds his own - who knows. Possums (native animals) wouldn't be too hard to catch during the day if you know where their drey is or burrow if it's a brush tail. I gladly know nothing about the industry but to an outsider merely watching last night, it appears to be full of very unsavoury types and bogans short on the grey matter.

Edited by Ripley

a friend of mine came up with a good idea. She said the trainers should be banned for life as should the dogs in their care at the time and then we thought and their progeny should never be allowed to race either. It might hurt more than just copping a bit of a suspension anyway.

a friend of mine came up with a good idea. She said the trainers should be banned for life as should the dogs in their care at the time and then we thought and their progeny should never be allowed to race either. It might hurt more than just copping a bit of a suspension anyway.

except plenty of innocent people will own those dogs and their progeny.

I assume Kirislin means any progeny bred after the date of suspension. Simply put.. its progeny couldn't be registered as it was no longer a registered dog, which I think is actually quite a good idea.

I think your friend's idea is a good one, someone who has actually thought about it sensibly instead of the usual screaming in capslock I've seen all day BAN IT NOW!!

In answer to point 3 - I have been receiving, on average, between 4 and 10 applications to adopt per day. Today? NONE. This is the affect the story has had on the public's willingness to adopt a greyhound. :(

In answer to point 3 - I have been receiving, on average, between 4 and 10 applications to adopt per day. Today? NONE. This is the affect the story has had on the public's willingness to adopt a greyhound. :(

I feared this would happen as well, which is why in the face of all the people screaming 'TRAVESTY! BAN IT NOW!', I've been using social media to remind people that Greys are amazing pets and have been linking to all the Grey adoption pages I could think of in each state.

It's sad that in the face of such horrors coming to the public eye of the masses, the dogs desperately needing loving homes are going to cop the fall out. I can only hope that it is short lived and that the rescues experiencing a drop off in interest are not dealing with the fall out for too long :(

I so wish I was in the position to adopt a grey at the moment. I've fallen completely head over heels for them :love:. I will be contacting you one day soon :)

I hope it picks back up and this isn't a lasting effect.

And see while the likes of GRDBOT and G2K are rubbing there equally grubby little hands together behind their keyboards the fallout doesn't actually interest them, it's all about adding more disciples to the cult :(

Edited by HazyWal

I was talking with our neighbours about the 4 Corners program. Our homes shared a long fenceline with the decent greyhound breeder/trainer (who's since retired interstate).

They were horrified by the program but said there should be balance to show what decent trainers do. Otherwise this reporting is throwing the greyhound breed back to the awful judgment that was once made of them. All they can do, is horribly kill small animals.

That's what we all thought before the greyhound man moved in well over 20 years ago... & boy did he educate us. He loved his dogs.... he actually loved animals generally... no need for any of the horrors of live baiting. So we saw what comes out of the other side of raising greyhounds like that.

His dogs became champions & yet they were as sweet as any pet. He believed firmly that there was no need to make greys 'savage' in some way, so they'd get the keenness to race. I remember his saying once, in horror, that some trainers believed in keeping their dogs hungry. His secret was that his greys loved eating bananas! Lots of potassium.

He'd laugh when race commentators said that his state sprint champion, Harry, had the killer instinct as he raced. That same Harry would hide behind his legs, when our tiny tibbie, bossed him around.

Not only must the authorities go after the creeps who believe cruelty & privation are necessary to train greyhounds... & ban them for life from the sport. They must also clearly show how greys can be raised and managed so they have a decent life like any other dog.

Edited by mita

I assume Kirislin means any progeny bred after the date of suspension. Simply put.. its progeny couldn't be registered as it was no longer a registered dog, which I think is actually quite a good idea.

yes. :)

http://www.grv.org.au/news/2015/02/17/get-all-the-latest-news/

Tuesday 17 February

GRV moves to suspend greyhounds

On the advice of the Racing Integrity Commissioner, the board of Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) has resolved to suspend any greyhound trained and/or owned by the ten persons suspended by the board, on Friday 13 February, in relation to live baiting. This suspension will continue until the Racing Integrity Commissioner and GRV have concluded their investigations into these serious allegations.

I'd like to know if animal lib, animals Australia and the RSPCA have their way and the industry is shut down, even for a short period of time (some are saying suspend racing for a month) what will happen to the thousand upon thousand of dogs. Those that are in it for the money aren't going to pay to feed , house and provide vet care.