Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually watched it last night, but looked away when they strapped animals to the lure.

Two of the tracks are five minutes from me.

I heard on the radio yesterday the RSPCA saying prosecution would be hard, WTF are they talking about! they have footage , know names, how much more do they need?

Its clear this industry needs an outside body to regulate it.EXcuses that the places it goes on on out of the way is crap, they are huge properties, the two near me are easy to get to, less than an hour from Sydney CBD!

I wont hold my breath for anyone getting jail time over this, and the big trainers can cop huge fines with no problem, and they will just transfer dog ownership to family members and carry on.

While I was disgusted by what I saw in regards to the live baiting, my feelings about greyhounds as a breed (positive) didn't change after watching the program.

It's unfortunate that some people are allowing the actions of scum like these trainers to influence their opinion on the breed itself. While they are not a breed I would personally own, the ones I have met have all been lovely dogs. I do wonder how many members of the public will see this program, and believe that a dog that kills a rabbit or possum is just as capable of attacking or harming a human :(

Why are we even talking about the US? We need to concentrate on the shitfight that's happening here and WTF we will do with 1000's of greyhounds discarded if the extremists get their wish because god knows not one of them will put their hand up....they'll just move on to the next cause.

Sorry, it was me who brought up the US, I was just pondering out loud as to how it all panned out over there when racing was banned in various states. I thought perhaps if it was a slightly positive outcome for the dogs, it could be something we could strive for here. I knew that adoption in the US was bigger than here, but I didn't realise it how much bigger it was, therefore probably not a realistic approach here. However I still think it's worth taking notes from other countries, we could learn from their positives and their negatives.

I'm pretty sure that GAPTas is organising/endorsing a small gathering for a walk here on the weekend, though I'm not sure if it was spurred on because of the media attention or whether it was something happening anyway. I do hope that it goes ahead though and that it is a positive experience for those going along.

There was also an article on ABC news site about Greyhound Racing Tas getting on the bandwagon to examine practices down here and cracking down on anything going on that shouldn't be. I sincerely hope that they do and they're not just doing things for appearances sake. They spoke with Emma from Brightside who claims to have anecdotal evidence of live baiting, hoping if it's the case that it's more isolated incidents here than systematically wide spread - I can only hope!

Edited by Lillynix

While I was disgusted by what I saw in regards to the live baiting, my feelings about greyhounds as a breed (positive) didn't change after watching the program.

It's unfortunate that some people are allowing the actions of scum like these trainers to influence their opinion on the breed itself. While they are not a breed I would personally own, the ones I have met have all been lovely dogs. I do wonder how many members of the public will see this program, and believe that a dog that kills a rabbit or possum is just as capable of attacking or harming a human :(

Because, sadly, that is the way people's minds work. They will see all greyhounds as coming from situations where they "have been taught to kill and rip apart" small animals and hence nothing is safe around them. :mad

As I typed this I recalled a situation from not all that long ago. An acquaintance of mine had a little Maltese puppy who wasn't well. I told him to try her with chicken. "Oh no," he said. "Once she is fed that she will chase birds." :eek:

Gapvic why did you delete your post?

I met a guy who adopted a grey from you guys and he is so loved and so docile. How can people make such ignorant comments!

Thanks Malakita. I was upset when I wrote that post. I feel so very sad. We have spent the last 17 years doing everything we can to promote greyhounds as pets. We fear that so much of that was undone in an hour on Monday night. :(:(

Edited by gapvic

Funnily enough the type of people who are inclined to write off an entire breed of dog based on one negative story in the media probably aren't the kind of people who you'd want as new homes for your amazing Greyhounds gapvic...

Once the dust has settled on this "expose", the numbers of people applying for your Greyhounds will go up again... mark my words!

T.

.... So much of that was undone in an hour on Monday night. ....

I don't think so Gapvic, I believe all the negative concern in the thread and elsewhere about how this will affect public opinion of the dogs is way over-stated, people are not stupid (no matter what the dol fraternity's general attitude to the non-dog/dol fraternity).

There is a strong minority of less interested and less thinking people, and as tdx said, they are not the homes you seek for the greys, as they simply wouldn't have been in the first place. There is just as likely to be a backlash in support of the dogs, because more thought will be given to the overall issues - not just the issues specific to the dogs as in the coverage a couple of years ago.

I've been following the RSPCA page pretty closely and am yet to see negative comments regarding greyhounds themselves. The anger seems to be directed at the right place - the people involved in this medieval practice. I only heard about this program because my friends who have greyhounds as pets asked people to sign the petitions. There's a lot of anger also directed toward the RSPCA, but as far as I can see they're only calling for the industry to be independently reviewed. Some people do believe things like horse racing, greyhound racing, etc have no place in a modern society - I am one of those people. I believe there should be ways to gradually outlaw these practices, as we've seen with dog fighting and other inhumane 'sports' but have them reviewed in the meantime.

.... So much of that was undone in an hour on Monday night. ....

I don't think so Gapvic, I believe all the negative concern in the thread and elsewhere about how this will affect public opinion of the dogs is way over-stated, people are not stupid (no matter what the dol fraternity's general attitude to the non-dog/dol fraternity).

There is a strong minority of less interested and less thinking people, and as tdx said, they are not the homes you seek for the greys, as they simply wouldn't have been in the first place. There is just as likely to be a backlash in support of the dogs, because more thought will be given to the overall issues - not just the issues specific to the dogs as in the coverage a couple of years ago.

I'm with Gapvic, there has been huge damage done to the reputation of greyhounds. I truly fear the possibility of the laws being reversed on muzzling. All those countless hours people and their dogs have done over many years promoting greyhounds as pets pretty well down the drain. I feel sick.

I've been following the RSPCA page pretty closely and am yet to see negative comments regarding greyhounds themselves. The anger seems to be directed at the right place - the people involved in this medieval practice. I only heard about this program because my friends who have greyhounds as pets asked people to sign the petitions. There's a lot of anger also directed toward the RSPCA, but as far as I can see they're only calling for the industry to be independently reviewed. Some people do believe things like horse racing, greyhound racing, etc have no place in a modern society - I am one of those people. I believe there should be ways to gradually outlaw these practices, as we've seen with dog fighting and other inhumane 'sports' but have them reviewed in the meantime.

I have. And people walking greyhounds have been abused.

Really Rebanne? People have been abused when walking greys? That's terrible :( but it is one of the things I was worried about. It's bad enough walking a muzzled foster anyway.

Am so sorry Gapvic, it's such an awful situation and I think you and Rebanne are right, a lot of damage has been done to the breed's reputation. And after all the hard work that's been done over the years to reverse the idea that greys are savage, it was really starting to pay off and then this happens. It's always the dogs who lose :(

I have. And people walking greyhounds have been abused.

On the RSPCA page. I think it will die down pretty quickly, people are understandably shocked and very upset by this. But we live in times of apathy and I have no doubt in a month or so things will die down and go back to normal. When I look at the attitudes that surround other breeds such as staffordshire bull terriers, they are still among the most popular breeds and most people are free to go about their daily lives in peace despite the horrible things that have been done with and to the breed.

I've seen a few Facebook posts re-iterating how good these dogs are as family pets and that greyhounds are as much victims of the industry as the piglets, possums and I hope these go viral, too.

Funnily enough the type of people who are inclined to write off an entire breed of dog based on one negative story in the media probably aren't the kind of people who you'd want as new homes for your amazing Greyhounds gapvic...

T.

When I'd had no up close, informed contact with greyhounds, I thought that the breed was just hard-wired to kill any small animal in sight. So I'd have fitted your profile of the kind of person that Grapvic wouldn't want to rehome a dog with, anyway.

It was the 'education' given by a fine greyhound owner/trainer living next door that taught me it was the same for any dog. It's what humans do. And when a human does the right thing in raising greyhounds, this breed is one of the treasures of the dog world.

I became a person who happily provided my precious little tibbie to be the small dog tester for the GAP program. My only quibble when asked, was if it would be a fair test. She already loved the racing greyhounds next door. GAP said no problem... & she finished up loving every magnificent, sensible, good natured GAP grey she tested. So did I.... I cannot recommend too highly these lovely creatures as companion pets.

So, may the proactive begin. End the self-regulation in the greyhound 'industry', cheer on RSPCAs like Qld where they & the police said criminal charges are likely for the perps of this cruelty. Both have already conducted raids (the police have the same powers as RSPCA re animal welfare in Qld law). And get information to the general public about the best greys can be as racing dogs & as companions with not the slightest need to try to make them 'savage'. Quite the opposite. Oh... & get it called a 'dog sport', & not an 'industry' which turns the dogs into 'economic units'.

Gapvic, of course you are upset and saddened. And very understandably so. I feel so much for you at this time :(. But a few others have rightly said that if people are going to be so judgemental based on what they 'think' they know about Greyhounds, then they do not deserve to own one.

I am so sorry you are going through this. All the Greyhounds I have seen are so well behaved. Not interested in other dogs. I even saw one today walking with a small fluffy.

I felt bad for the owner though. We kept looking at her not because she has a grey but because we were wanting to keep some distance between us. My girl isn't terribly friendly.

if people are going to be so judgemental based on what they 'think' they know about Greyhounds, then they do not deserve to own one.

As I said, that would once have fitted me. What greyhounds deserve is for far better & more information to be got to the general public. Which is what I've tried to do, since learning what really applies to these sensible, sweet natured dogs.

Who can blame people for having negative ideas when the only information that hits the public arena in a media bombshell, is horrendous footage which seems to confirm worst fears?

Bless the greyhound rescues... I have only admiration for how proactive they've been in promoting the best these lovely dogs can be. There ought to be a follow-up program that highlights them! They don't have the resources to buy media time & space.

This is a greyhound 'industry failure'... it's their job to protect the welfare of racing greys, set & police standards... & do PR for this lovely breed, which in such large numbers need rehoming as companion dogs. So it's vital to get true information into the public arena.

Edited by mita

Once the dust has settled on this "expose", the numbers of people applying for your Greyhounds will go up again... mark my words!

T.

Hmm, that is just silly. Not everyone who turns out to be a good dog owner starts off being an expert. In fact, over the years, I have seen quite the opposite happen.

I do tend feel that your second comment might be the case, though. Because there are more and more greyhounds appearing just being walked around the streets and obviously just pets, people will be more inclined to take notice and hopefully ask questions.

I am stunned and feel numb after watching the footage but not at all surprised, every time I see such cruelty and neglect I want to remove myself more and more from society.

These people should be locked up, anyone capable of torturing a living creature to that extent is a public danger and as for the excuse that it was all recorded illegally, that's nothing but a cop out.

I feel sorry for everyone that has worked so hard hard to promote the breed for what they truly are, we fostered a beautiful young grey a few years ago, she wouldn't even chase rabbits if they ran past her, to this day I regret letting her go even though she ended up in a fabulous home, I would take her back in a heartbeat.