Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

I have. And people walking greyhounds have been abused.

Just anecdotal, Rebanne, or can you back this up with hard evidence? Unless you can and are just relying on fifth hand reports, you shouldn't be adding fuel to a fire, small, nonexistent or otherwise.

I could back it up but not for you. You are basically calling me a liar and a stir monger. It's not your breed having it's heart torn out. So back off!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geeze :mad

"The Government will also give $3 million to Greyhound Racing Victoria to improve its animal welfare and integrity measures, including surveillance technology to assist with detection and prosecution; and a dedicated steward to inspect and monitor the 15 private trial tracks registered with GRV."

It's like they're being rewarded. They shouldn't need Govt. assistance to improve animal welfare and integrity, it should come from them! And monitoring the 15 private trial track??? They'll just do it somewhere else!! (where's Mr rollyeyes when we need him)

we fostered a beautiful young grey a few years ago, she wouldn't even chase rabbits if they ran past her, to this day I regret letting her go even though she ended up in a fabulous home, I would take her back in a heartbeat.

This is just the kind of information which should follow up the cruelty (true!) blitz. Showing that greyhounds, like any dog breed...& like humans, too!'... don't just fit a stereotype.

'Our' greyhounds were racing greys. The speedy little tibbie boy next door, Brockie, used to run with them, beating them by suddenly changing direction, causing a greyhound pile up. Their trainer used to call that tibbie his co-trainer. The greys' ambition was to beat Brockie, not kill him! It was all play.

Edited by mita

Why are we even talking about the US? We need to concentrate on the shitfight that's happening here and WTF we will do with 1000's of greyhounds discarded if the extremists get their wish because god knows not one of them will put their hand up....they'll just move on to the next cause.

Sorry, it was me who brought up the US, I was just pondering out loud as to how it all panned out over there when racing was banned in various states. I thought perhaps if it was a slightly positive outcome for the dogs, it could be something we could strive for here. I knew that adoption in the US was bigger than here, but I didn't realise it how much bigger it was, therefore probably not a realistic approach here. However I still think it's worth taking notes from other countries, we could learn from their positives and their negatives.

I'm pretty sure that GAPTas is organising/endorsing a small gathering for a walk here on the weekend, though I'm not sure if it was spurred on because of the media attention or whether it was something happening anyway. I do hope that it goes ahead though and that it is a positive experience for those going along.

There was also an article on ABC news site about Greyhound Racing Tas getting on the bandwagon to examine practices down here and cracking down on anything going on that shouldn't be. I sincerely hope that they do and they're not just doing things for appearances sake. They spoke with Emma from Brightside who claims to have anecdotal evidence of live baiting, hoping if it's the case that it's more isolated incidents here than systematically wide spread - I can only hope!

You're going to be very disappointed, trust me.

Geeze :mad

"The Government will also give $3 million to Greyhound Racing Victoria to improve its animal welfare and integrity measures, including surveillance technology to assist with detection and prosecution; and a dedicated steward to inspect and monitor the 15 private trial tracks registered with GRV."

It's like they're being rewarded. They shouldn't need Govt. assistance to improve animal welfare and integrity, it should come from them! And monitoring the 15 private trial track??? They'll just do it somewhere else!! (where's Mr rollyeyes when we need him)

Agree. It's the very opposite to RSPCA Victoria's first sensible recommendation. The self-regulation by Greyhound Racing has failed... so there needs to be a power & processes from outside their industry, to which they are accountable.

This step just seems to be pouring more money into something that they've already not had the will to do properly.

Why are we even talking about the US? We need to concentrate on the shitfight that's happening here and WTF we will do with 1000's of greyhounds discarded if the extremists get their wish because god knows not one of them will put their hand up....they'll just move on to the next cause.

Sorry, it was me who brought up the US, I was just pondering out loud as to how it all panned out over there when racing was banned in various states. I thought perhaps if it was a slightly positive outcome for the dogs, it could be something we could strive for here. I knew that adoption in the US was bigger than here, but I didn't realise it how much bigger it was, therefore probably not a realistic approach here. However I still think it's worth taking notes from other countries, we could learn from their positives and their negatives.

I'm pretty sure that GAPTas is organising/endorsing a small gathering for a walk here on the weekend, though I'm not sure if it was spurred on because of the media attention or whether it was something happening anyway. I do hope that it goes ahead though and that it is a positive experience for those going along.

There was also an article on ABC news site about Greyhound Racing Tas getting on the bandwagon to examine practices down here and cracking down on anything going on that shouldn't be. I sincerely hope that they do and they're not just doing things for appearances sake. They spoke with Emma from Brightside who claims to have anecdotal evidence of live baiting, hoping if it's the case that it's more isolated incidents here than systematically wide spread - I can only hope!

Oh don't get me wrong, whilst I do hope that it happens, I am not under any illusion that it actually will. I hope, but remain cynical *sigh*

Edited by Lillynix

"Make no mistake. This story will be explosive, emotive and extremely damaging to the future of this sport in Australia," Mr Wallish wrote.

"As a group of people that love the greyhound breed we should all be shocked and outraged by the allegations in the story and prepared to fight the small minority that continue to partake in such practices jeopardising the future of the sport and indeed the future of the breed itself."

Mr Wallish also urged the greyhound racing community to focus their anger on the wrongdoers in their sport, rather than the messenger.

"You will be emotional, you might be angry. Don't be angry at those that attack us, regardless of their position. Be angry at those within the sport that are doing the wrong thing and undermining the values for which we stand," he wrote.

"This time is a testing one for all of us in the industry and we need to stay resolute in our desire to exceed social standards and public expectations.

"The future of the sport and the wonderful greyhound breed necessitates it."

I think GRV's chief exec puts it nicely when he says don't shoot the messenger. Being angry with Animals Australia or the RSPCA, or even the general public, for wanting standards and laws to be upheld isn't the problem, the problem lies with the people involved in these callous acts. I guess we could liken it to pit bull fighting - once accepted as a sport, and a lot of people have a general fear of the breed as a result. Rather than arguing that facts and footage about the dark side of the 'sport' should be hidden from public view, pit bull supporters tend to try to sway people to believing the problem is a human problem, rather than a dog problem and they vehemently oppose rather than excuse any cruelty committed by pit bull owners.

Oh don't get me wrong, whilst I do hope that it happens, I am not under any illusion that it actually will. I hope, but remain cynical *sigh*

My experience with the board was that their biggest concern was public perception because it could potentially lose them money. Their second biggest concern was how to spend the least amount of money for the most result with regards to their first concern. Basically, just money.

One person did seem to have a genuine interest in modernising but when you're voting against a board of good old boys, it's never going to happen.

A family friend who used to be married to a greyhound trainer has posted on a fb page saying yes it's cruel but greyhounds shouldn't be saved. She just keeps giving me reasons to dislike her, and this is the boiling point.

I had two things happen this morning on our walk that could've seen me end up being abused but the exact opposite happened. Firstly a cat came flying out from under a gate to attack my two...yes to attack. It was hissing and running at us while my two went absolutely mental and a man sitting at the bus stop right in front of us jumped up and started shooing it away. When it finally went back under the gate he turned to me and said "bloody cats, I wish people would lock them up" The other was a lady with a Jack Russell who came out of the bushes on the bay trail, scared the crap out of me and as Maddie in not small dog friendly she went off her nut lunging and growling as she does but the lady apologised for scaring us and said what beautiful dogs I have. So no I haven't copped any abuse so far in relation to this report but I was expecting it in both instances this morning.

Prey drive, live baiting and a-hole trainers are one issue, the second is that the general public require assurance that any Greyhound( or any dog for that matter ) that passes through rescue and is rehomed has been properly assessed and it is appropriate to do so.

I have no idea about the number of dogs that would enter rescue from trainers who have live baited. I feel that those who do are unlikely to rehome and would probably take the simple option of disposing of them. But that said, I do know of a couple that have had live kills and have gone through the process. They were assessed as small dog and cat friendly and are living happily in their new homes. They went through a reputable rescue and foster care.

A-holes and cowboys on both sides.

GRA can hand out bans and the RSPCA can prosecute, reputable rescue can continue to ensure they adequately test all animals and rehome responsibly.

I personally don't see the industry shutting down any time soon. really I think a few people will be made example of and life for the trainers will continue as normal and many will do as they have always done, be it law abiding or not.

I have. And people walking greyhounds have been abused.

Just anecdotal, Rebanne, or can you back this up with hard evidence? Unless you can and are just relying on fifth hand reports, you shouldn't be adding fuel to a fire, small, nonexistent or otherwise.

Certainly not 'non-existent' - I've also heard about someone being taunted by an idiot when walking their grey yesterday :mad

I had two things happen this morning on our walk that could've seen me end up being abused but the exact opposite happened. Firstly a cat came flying out from under a gate to attack my two...yes to attack. It was hissing and running at us while my two went absolutely mental and a man sitting at the bus stop right in front of us jumped up and started shooing it away. When it finally went back under the gate he turned to me and said "bloody cats, I wish people would lock them up" The other was a lady with a Jack Russell who came out of the bushes on the bay trail, scared the crap out of me and as Maddie in not small dog friendly she went off her nut lunging and growling as she does but the lady apologised for scaring us and said what beautiful dogs I have. So no I haven't copped any abuse so far in relation to this report but I was expecting it in both instances this morning.

That is really lovely to hear that you've continued to have positive interactions in the aftermath! I have been anticipating the worst as well, even though our our rescue is a Grey x Whippet, so obviously never raced, but the general public see her and think she is an ex-racer based on size/looks. I've been confronted over her lack of muzzle (when obviously she's not required to have one - nor does she need it) in the past and when taking her to the off-lead area this morning was hoping that the other lady who was there with her dogs (GSD and Foxy) wouldn't confront me on anything given how people have apparently been reacting on the issue. She didn't, rather came to me, asking about her, commented on how lovely she was and told me about the local dog walking group that she's on the council of and invited me to come along whenever I wanted.

I am overjoyed to report that so far today we have received ten applications for adoption. It seems there is a swell of support for this fabulous breed :D

That's wonderful news, gapvic! :D

Edited by Lillynix

I am overjoyed to report that so far today we have received ten applications for adoption. It seems there is a swell of support for this fabulous breed :D

gapvic, what wonderful kind people. Love and respect to them all. :heart: Wished - I wasn't so old, with a sick husband, and a fragile dog with HD. Such a shame. :(