Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

I am overjoyed to report that so far today we have received ten applications for adoption. It seems there is a swell of support for this fabulous breed :D

That's fantastic! I have been enjoying the flood of fabulous greyhound pics on your FB page :thumbsup: I added my two in support of GAPVIC.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am overjoyed to report that so far today we have received ten applications for adoption. It seems there is a swell of support for this fabulous breed :D

That's fantastic! I have been enjoying the flood of fabulous greyhound pics on your FB page :thumbsup: I added my two in support of GAPVIC.

Thanks HW - I actually feel quite overwhelmed with the support we've had for the breed through the facebook page - it's just wonderful :D

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/26326323/stings-target-greyhound-cruelty/

Stings target greyhound cruelty

Covert stings at WA greyhound training facilities will be ramped up after revelations of barbaric east coast practices that have rocked the national sport.

Racing and Wagering WA integrity boss Denis Borovica was adamant yesterday there was no systemic live baiting of greyhounds in this State after revelations by the ABC's Four Corners program on Monday night of the illegal practice in Queensland, NSW and Victoria.

Disturbing footage showed some of the national sport's leading identities cruelly using live piglets, rabbits and possums to blood their greyhounds.

One of them, dual Australian trainer of the year Darren McDonald, won last year's Perth Cup with his greyhound Keybow.

Mr Borovica, who owns a former racing greyhound as a pet, said he was sickened by the vision and he promised to not only increase covert surveillance on WA's main racing facilities at Cannington, Mandurah and Northam, but also at private training tracks. And he promised career-threatening penalties to those who crossed the line on live baiting.

"When you find people, give them the penalties that act as real deterrents to everybody else, to make it clear that this is career-ending stuff for greyhound trainers to get involved with," Mr Borovica said.

"They will get the harshest penalties because it is considered to be the most heinous of offences. As much as we can be confident that we're on top of it and all over it, these things raise everyone's sensitivities and we will obviously be doing even more than we're doing (now).

"The majority of the people in the industry would be ashamed of what's happened."

Mr Borovica said WA had unique rules that prohibited live bait animals to be taken on to a greyhound racing property. He said there were no WA facilities where live baiting could occur that stewards did not watch. In 2008, a WA trainer was disqualified for a year for using a caged rabbit to incite his greyhounds.

WA Greyhounds Breeders, Owners and Trainers Association president Phil Worthington said the issue would be discussed at an official meeting tonight. "We don't condone it or stand for it at all," Mr Worthington said.

"There's nothing like that going on in WA, mate."

WA Racing and Gaming Minister Colin Holt said the activities tarnished the entire industry and he promised to strongly support penalties for cruelty to animals, which had a maximum fine under the Animal Welfare Act of $50,000 and five years jail.

Shadow minister Mick Murray called on the State Government to mount an immediate investigation into the WA industry and its 250 licensed trainers.

Former WA greyhounds administrator Dave Robartson said he was very disturbed by the images but strict policing by the State's stewards meant it was almost impossible to repeat in WA.

I cant help thinking when they make big loud statements of increasing surveillance, naming all the tracks they'll do it at they're just talking in code saying go somewhere else to do it so we wont catch you.

Unless they can work out how to get onto private property and become one of the crowd, they have no chance of catching anyone in their own back yard and on private property.

They sure as hell aren't going to catch our local trainers at the end of a dirt road, private property, one way in and out.

I'm worried about the calls to ban everything.

Not only does that displace thousands of dogs, but it drives the whole thing further underground. Much the same concerns I have about banned 'puppy farms' etc, they're untouchable if you can't find them, same goes withdog dfighting etc. I'd hate for such gentle dogs to be further abused.

I don't have the answer though, its all so horrible.

I am overjoyed to report .... a swell of support ....

Lovely news - as we hoped - and word of mouth from those ten to their friends, etc etc.

Edit to add: well over 100,000 signatures now on the Animals Australia petition - and a good plug there for adopting an OTT greyhound - that's a lot of people now aware of the possibility.

Edited by PossumCorner

I've been thinking about this some more and they could start by imposing the rule that no animal dead or alive is to be used on a lure, drag, flirt pole or as a training aid of any kind. All drags, lures etc can only have synthetic components.

Take the dead bunnies off the tracks on trial days.

I have. And people walking greyhounds have been abused.

Just anecdotal, Rebanne, or can you back this up with hard evidence? Unless you can and are just relying on fifth hand reports, you shouldn't be adding fuel to a fire, small, nonexistent or otherwise.

I could back it up but not for you. You are basically calling me a liar and a stir monger. It's not your breed having it's heart torn out. So back off!

No, I am not calling you a liar or being a stir monger. You are categorically stating that people walking greyhounds have been abused. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to have hard evidence.

And my breed (small fluffies and toy mixed and not mixed) have received more bad press consistently over the years on this board than greyhounds have.

DDD rebanne isn't talking about her breed being abused on a small little forum in cyberspace, she's talking about ppl getting verbal abuse in the real world so your comparison of owning small toy breeds is moot.

I'd be scared of walking a greyhound around atm, surely the mere fact people generally haven't enquired about adoptable greys since the program aired demonstrates the public's current distaste?

In any case I was in Fitzroy North today and witnessed someone being berated for allowing his killer dog off lead in a park. As it was a greyhound it shouldn't have been off lead anyway but it was perfectly calm and well behaved, something I pointed out to the dogless hipster who said the horrible things.

I think greyhound racing shouldn't be legal in Australia, as it isn't in many parts of the world.

DDD rebanne isn't talking about her breed being abused on a small little forum in cyberspace, she's talking about ppl getting verbal abuse in the real world so your comparison of owning small toy breeds is moot.

I'd be scared of walking a greyhound around atm, surely the mere fact people generally haven't enquired about adoptable greys since the program aired demonstrates the public's current distaste?

In any case I was in Fitzroy North today and witnessed someone being berated for allowing his killer dog off lead in a park. As it was a greyhound it shouldn't have been off lead anyway but it was perfectly calm and well behaved, something I pointed out to the dogless hipster who said the horrible things.

I think greyhound racing shouldn't be legal in Australia, as it isn't in many parts of the world.

Thankyou Mackiemad, I couldn't be bothered answering someone like DDD

I've been thinking about this some more and they could start by imposing the rule that no animal dead or alive is to be used on a lure, drag, flirt pole or as a training aid of any kind. All drags, lures etc can only have synthetic components.

Take the dead bunnies off the tracks on trial days.

this has been the law for about 5 years here in Vic for that very reason and it didn't work. Tooradin didn't even try to hide it, there were always bits of dead rabbit just laying around the perimeter of the track and I know within the last 3 year one was photographed on the lure because I saw it and warned the photographer that it was against the law.