Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

may be worth watching and commenting on afterwards.

Greyhound racing: Live baiting revelations on Four Corners to be 'extremely damaging' to industry

Four Corners By Caro Meldrum-Hanna Posted about an hour ago

Mon 16 Feb 2015, 5:08am

3784724-3x2-340x227.jpg

Photo: Australians are now wagering a staggering $4 billion on greyhound racing each year (AFP: Robyn Beck, file photo) Related Story: Live rabbits allegedly used as lures at Victorian greyhound racing track Map: Australia Australia's greyhound racing industry is in turmoil ahead of an explosive Four Corners report, set to air tonight, that reveals conclusive evidence of live baiting.

Live baiting is the practice of using small live animals in secret greyhound training sessions.

It has been banned and criminalised for decades, but trainers and owners across the country have been using the illegal training method in the belief that it will improve a dog's performance.

Live baiting carries substantial financial penalties and sentences of up to five years' imprisonment. The evidence that will be broadcast tonight on the ABC could have a massive impact on the industry.

The RSPCA, in conjunction with police in NSW, Victoria and Queensland raided five properties on Wednesday last week after the Four Corners program, in conjunction with Animals Australia and Animal Liberation Queensland, confidentially handed over the results of its investigation into the sport to the state-based RSPCAs more than a fortnight ago.

Tonight in its exclusive report, Four Corners will reveal how trainers and owners across the country, working in concert with licensed trial track operators, are training their dogs using banned methods and engaging in illegal activity.

Make no mistake. This story will be explosive, emotive and extremely damaging to the future of this sport in Australia.

Greyhound Racing Victoria CEO Adam Wallish

This behaviour constitutes cheating under the laws of greyhound racing.

Tracking dogs and their trainers from private training facilities and on to official race meets and using undercover investigators to infiltrate the industry, the program has discovered the integrity of potentially thousands of races and millions of dollars in prize money is now in question.

Aware that the Four Corners program was set to air, Greyhound Racing NSW, Greyhound Racing Victoria, and Racing Queensland, the sport's statutory regulators, moved to suspend more than 20 trainers, owners and trial track operators late last week.

In another attempt to pre-empt the program, on Sunday, Racing Queensland announced a $1 million taskforce to combat live baiting and other allegations of cruelty.

But the regulator's attempts to act raise further serious questions about their ability to fulfil obligations and adequately police the sport in addition to carrying out their dual role as the sport's promoter. Australians are now wagering a staggering $4 billion on the sport annually.

It is also revealed the illegal activities have remained undetected by the regulators, and makes it clear self-regulation has been a failure. At the same time, the evidence could prompt governments to reconsider their support and endorsement of the sport.

'This story will be explosive'

In an internal memo written by Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) and obtained by Four Corners over the weekend, GRV's chief executive officer Adam Wallish encouraged trainers and owners to start strategising and preparing to react publically after the Four Corners program airs tonight.

"Make no mistake. This story will be explosive, emotive and extremely damaging to the future of this sport in Australia," Mr Wallish wrote.

"As a group of people that love the greyhound breed we should all be shocked and outraged by the allegations in the story and prepared to fight the small minority that continue to partake in such practices jeopardising the future of the sport and indeed the future of the breed itself."

Mr Wallish also urged the greyhound racing community to focus their anger on the wrongdoers in their sport, rather than the messenger.

"You will be emotional, you might be angry. Don't be angry at those that attack us, regardless of their position. Be angry at those within the sport that are doing the wrong thing and undermining the values for which we stand," he wrote.

"This time is a testing one for all of us in the industry and we need to stay resolute in our desire to exceed social standards and public expectations.

"The future of the sport and the wonderful greyhound breed necessitates it."

Greyhound Racing Victoria has also set up a counselling telephone hotline to support those affected emotionally by the allegations. The hotline is contactable on (03) 8329 1100 and will be available from 7:30am on Tuesday morning.

The program, Making a Killing, will broadcast tonight on ABC1 at 8:30pm. Anyone with further information can contact Four Corners here.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the cruelty that goes on regarding the mass slaughter & disposal of greyhounds of no use or past their use by date in this so called sport it is no suprise that live bait is being used. When huge sums of money are involved ethics & scruples often go out the window.

I wish they would ban the sport but it will never happen. Multi billion dollar industry.

(from the article) - " ....working in concert with licensed trial track operators .... serious questions about their ability to fulfil obligations and adequately police the sport in addition to carrying out their dual role as the sport's promoter. .... and prepared to fight the small minority that continue to partake in such practices .... "

Huh, working with the track operators - some small minority!!

The old saying you can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds comes to mind eh - how can a non-independent body possible claim to be trying to keep things clean? Yes for sure Christina, the money comes first every time.

Wow Tooradin's been closed down. That's where I used to go whippet racing. I knew they had live bunnies kept in a securely locked shed. Penny and Kibah could tell too and would stick their noses against the door and breathe in the smells. You'd always see bits of dead bunny laying around there and occasionally there'd still be one on the lure when I arrived. It was gruesome, but at the time it wasn't illegal to put a freshly killed rabbit on the lure. In fairly recent years that did become illegal though.

The anti's vs the pro's...same sh*t different day.

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me :( I think I will suck out whatever remaining braincells I have by watching MKR instead :laugh:

I'm with ya dude :)

I doubt it'll be anything that's news to most people involved. Like the dog found with theobromine in its system. The trainer will say the dog got some chocolate ice cream or something as a treat, the AR people will say it was given chocolate for the caffeine content to cheat, the racing industry will say they're investigating and none of those things will make any difference to the actual dogs because for various reasons, we still can't have an adult conversation about the best way to solve the problems in the sport.

I don't live bait my Greys but I know they were all broken in with live kills. I don't know a trainer that doesn't use rabbits.

What's the difference between my Whippet coursing a hare or a rabbit ( which I allow her to do ) and catching them and a race dog doing the same ? (apart from the legalities with the race dogs)

Edited by WreckitWhippet

Ugh, just typed a reply and then accidentally closed the tab.

Anyways.. to answer the question..

What's the difference between my Whippet coursing a hare or a rabbit ( which I allow her to do ) and catching them and a race dog doing the same ? (apart from the legalities with the race dogs)

There is allowing your dogs to chase other animals, which is still regulated against in the companion animal act (for NSW, section 16-17) unless the animal is vermin and then there is coursing, which legally is defined as.. "causes, procures, permits or encourages an activity in which an animal is released from confinement for the purpose of its being chased, caught or confined by a dog" (sect 21 Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act) and is illegal.

If you allow your whippets to chase rabbits in your paddock, legally, you're probably okay. But keeping rabbits for the purpose of releasing them for dogs to chase is another thing entirely.

I don't need watch it as my dad grew up in a racing greyhound family. I have heard all about how they are trained & how live bait is used. Rabbits,possums minus their nails etc etc. Do I agree with it,NO... but it is like any other form of racing when money comes into it. Nothing is sacred...

I've had to turn it off after watching a baby possum and then a tiny pink piglet ripped apart. Cackling like a hyena at the tiny baby ringtail was strapped up. These cruel, fat old men and their lust for the money.

Edited by Ripley