Toy Poodle 20 Months & No Seasons ?

Christina

A few months ago I got a 15 month old female for breeding. Gorgeous little girl & happy with her in every way however the breeder said she had not had a heat cycle at all & this line often have their 1st season at around 2.

Never experienced this as this breed normally come in by around 10 months.

Have to say she is very puppy like & silly & my male is more interested in her than any of my other dogs, playing, rough & tumbling with her, play mounting & both dancing up on back legs but this is not recent he has been like this with her since day 1.

Vaccination due soon so I will get her checked but what can they say about it ?

I don't want to go the hormone route I have heard about as I believe if the dog doesn't breed naturally I would rather not breed from it.

Has anyone else experienced this with toy breeds & did the dog cycle normally after the first season ?

Not applicable to larger breeds as I know they often take longer to mature but toy breeds are different in that respect.

Not a toy breed and also not a large breed but my girls seem to have late first seasons. I decide with Cinna if she wasn't in by 2 I would get her checked. She came in at about 20 months. Her Mum was about 16 months with her first season and both of them seemed to take forever coming in - their behaviour indicated they were imminent for several months prior and boys reacted differently to them as well. I was sure with Cinna in February that she was coming in, June rolled in and we were still waiting! Her appearance and behaviour remained very puppy like - I pulled her out of the show ring as she looked like a minor puppy in intermediate. 4 weeks after a season her behaviour and shape and changed quite a bit.

Give her time - I was told it is a fairly heritable trait so if the breeder says it is normal for her lines I wouldn't be worried yet.

• 2 months later...

My bitch (papillon) didn't come into season until 10-11 months. I got her when she was 8 months. Now I know it isn't as long as your girl but my bitch now cycles every 8 months. I bred her and she had two daughters, at 1 year old now no season. I had one small girl desexed at 11 months and her sister is entire to be my goal for a future litter. 20 months is a long time but I wouldn't worry yet, she might have had a silent season who knows.

Have you got any other bitches that could 'help' bring her in? Quite often they can cycle together

2 girls have come into season, one has a 6 week old litter & the other is 5 weeks pregnant. She didn't come into season with them. No silent season, she has played with the stud male daily & he would know for sure. He has been play mounting her since I got her but certainly not with serious intent. It is a bit strange.

• 1 month later...

A few months ago I got a 15 month old female for breeding. Gorgeous little girl & happy with her in every way however the breeder said she had not had a heat cycle at all & this line often have their 1st season at around 2.

Have to say she is very puppy like & silly & my male is more interested in her than any of my other dogs, playing, rough & tumbling with her, play mounting & both dancing up on back legs but this is not recent he has been like this with her since day 1.

I don't want to go the hormone route I have heard about as I believe if the dog doesn't breed naturally I would rather not breed from it.

Has anyone else experienced this with toy breeds & did the dog cycle normally after the first season ?

Not applicable to larger breeds as I know they often take longer to mature but toy breeds are different in that respect.

a friend of mine has an IG that was well over 2 before she had her first season. My own whippet Feather (not a toy, I know) was over 2 years old before she had her first season while her litter sister was only 13 months when she first came in. Hopefully your little one is healthy, just a late developer.

Edited by Kirislin

a friend of mine has an IG that was well over 2 before she had her first season. My own whippet Feather (not a toy, I know) was over 2 years old before she had her first season while her litter sister was only 13 months when she first came in. Hopefully your little one is healthy, just a late developer.

Did they have seasons regularly after the 1st one & did you breed from them ?

Is she otherwise healthy and normal? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if they are late maturing lines. Our lines tend to come in about 14-16months but can be longer. The only exception is one bitch who tested as severely hypothyroid, she was desexed close to her 2nd birthday and the vet said there was nothing to indicate she would have ever had a season, it was like desexing a very young puppy inside. She had a myriad of other symptoms though so if your girl seems otherwise healthy I would just let nature take its course.

Did they have seasons regularly after the 1st one & did you breed from them ?

Feather's seasons were regular once she started, I never bred from her though. As to the IG, I'm not sure if she's had another season, her first was just around Christmas last year so she might be due around now depending on her cycle.