Trust Worthy Rescue ?

Seriously how many rescued dogs cost a rescue group $8000? :)

Nutmeg and Smudge cost us (out of our own pockets) more than $4,000 on vet fees because they had parvo. We elected to cover the costs ourselves because I wanted to control their treatment instead of moving them to a cheaper vet that didn't have overnight care. Vet fees, all of the bedding/toys/bowls etc that we had to replace several times over plus the bleach, F10 plus all the cleaning - they were expensive pups. They were adopted out for the same adoption fee. I know a lot of people would have euthanised but I'm glad we didn't. Nutmeg is a beloved pet and Smudge has become an AMAZING flyball dog with many titles.

I'm with RADAR now and I've noticed that this group almost never asks for donations even after copping massive bills for parvo dogs, transport etc. It really seems to vary between rescues!

RADAR Do an awesome job of fundraising but a lot goes on in the background where its not openly seen to be begging.

It comes from hard work getting local businesses on board and fundraising by volunteers that doesn't necessarily involve an obvious ask for help with specific dogs. This type of fundraising is more sustainable as its a constant income stream and increases naturally over time as long as you look after those who are on board .When you ask for donations for a specific dog or situation is a quick couple of bucks but it has to be a constant battle just to cover the basics.

I did ask them and unfortunately they deleted my comment and then blocked me :(

That would be a red flag for me...

There's your answer. I hate to say it but I know of one "rescue groups" out there deliberately making puppies to sell .... there was another but they stopped.

If you want a very open and honest rescue group to help - that really does need help - I could recommend PAWS, Greyhound Rescue and Save Our Strays. All have absolutely enormous vet bills and/or overheads which the adoption fees don't make up for. They are all registered charities that get audited etc.

VIC has it's own share of equally fantastic groups.

Greyhound rescue have money thrown at them left right and centre, there are plenty of other rescues that struggle.

I was also just concerned as every Facebook post is about money and fundraising not so much dogs. For example most weekends they do a Bunnings bbq or something along that line. I do think it's great they are out there making money to support the rescue. But as I mentioned they are a very small rescue ( around 6 dogs ) and would be nice to hear about the rescue work they are doing not how much money they are making.

Thank- you all for your feedback . It was great to hear it from people who are involved with rescue.

:) Maybe the people who run the page are also the volunteers doing the fundraising and are a bit pleased with themselves.

But to block you ... as long as you were being polite and not snarky then that's just plain odd. It's very possible that they've had a few comments already and now just give people the flick rather than engage.

I had one pup with parvo who cost me almost $2500. If I'd had a sick litter that would have easily hit $8000.

I have a litter of puppies I'm planning on charging a bit more for because I really need to recoup some costs just to stay sustainable - I fund the rescue myself and don't ask for donations. I'm with Steve on this one,

However, not answering your questions and blocking you are probably not a good sign. I suppose it depends on how you asked the question though. The problem can be with social media that if you are narky, that can sometimes trigger the trolls and a simple question becomes a hate thread.

It might not be anything sinister, if could just be a case of galloping self-righteousness. There's a bit of a tendency for rescue groups to be pretty good at the animal part, but totally pants at the other bits such as communication and marketing. So the group you are talking about might be above-board in their rescuing but are playing the hero card and cracking the sads about being questioned.

And I'm totally with Steve on this one, rescues should be more business-like.

http://blackhobyah.net/five-vital-skills-for-rescuers/

Its not necessarily part of the criteria for running a successful rescue for the people involved to be poverty stricken indefinitely and only ever work voluntarily.

Personally I think the sooner the key person running it can take at least a small wage and devote all of their time to it - running it as a viable business with a view to longevity the better.

Usually those who are the founders of a rescue group sink massive amounts of their own money and resources in and that's very difficult to sustain especially if you are also responsible for feeding a family because people still have to eat and live. Being a non profit simply means any profits which are left after expenses doesn't go into the pocket of the board or anyone else and are used to grow the non profit business but legitimately expenses are a lot more than the actual money spent on the dogs, The current view that people involved in rescue should not be able to have their own expenses covered or draw a salary if they need to in order to continue what they have started and what they do in my opinion cripples the future of the group, limiting it to what it can achieve and has a high risk of those people who are at the core burning out.

I do also think that the whole fundraising thing and public relations needs to be re assessed with innovative methods utilised so those who are supporting them dont get over cooked on it .

So what they actually do with their money for me isnt the issue as long as they are covering the ethical issues and doing what they set out to do - I would much prefer constant legitimate fundraising requests than some of the other things which go on under the banner of rescue where donations are used to finance puppy farmers who stay under the radar because they call themselves rescue.

i also dont understand why - if they can get that sort of money for their puppies that they shouldn't ask that .If some people are prepared to pay for it

why should they not take it . Prices should surely be set at supply and demand the puppies are worth what ever people will pay and just because I wouldnt doesnt mean that others wont .Would be completely different if they had a litter of puppies now 6 months old with no homes because they are too pricey.

I say good on them.

They shouldnt have shut you up - bad PR. If they had bothered to answer you they may have been able to keep a supporter and gain more.