Puppy Loves Eating Paper/tissue

LuccatheLagotto

My puppy loves eating paper and tissues!

This is causing a bit of a problem when we go on walks as he will want to eat every bit of paper/tissue that is left on the ground. If I see some paper, I will divert his attention or cross the road etc so that he doesn’t see it but this isn’t always possible or I am not quick enough.

Other than that, he walks fine on a leash - with some encouragement and a pocketful full of treats.

Does anyone’s dog do this and how can I train him not to do it?

If only I had a $1 for every bit of paper that he finds. Maybe I can teach him to find bank notes instead…

Oh yeah, Ronin was a shocker for this and still is to a certain extent. Drives me bonkers and never realised how many tissues and serviettes are left on the sidewalk.

What we did was train him inside, by putting a tissue or serviette on the floor with a bit of white vinegar on it, pop him on lead - walk past and say leave it. We started with a wide berth and gradually got closer. We would reward each successful 'leave it' If you don't have much room you can have a second person near the item with foot ready to cover it if he goes for it.

We also did the same with tissue/serviette on the coffee table. After success we would stop putting the vinegar on it. We have success 8/10 times these days but he will on occasions take his opportunity if it presents and I haven't seen it. Strange thing is he is more likely to leave a chicken bone on the pavement than a serviette!

Shorten the leash, encourage him forward and keep walking?

He can't eat what he can't reach.. don't let him reach it. He can buck and whine and carry on but keep going and praise him when he continues on and the leash can loosen again.

No need to overthink this stuff. Just decide who gets to determine where the pair of you walk. That should be you!

It won't just be paper or tissues. People drop all kinds of things dogs want to investigate. The rule you want to establish is he keeps the leash loose in what ever directiom and and what pace you determine you are going.

Edited by Haredown Whippets