Barking Dog - Help!

Willowlane

So I have tried many things including giving the dog time to adjust to her new surroundings, soft muzzles, bones, toys and training but nothing is stopping the barking so I am moving onto anti bark collars and just wondering what works and what doesnt?

I found this

PetSafe Deluxe Outdoor Ultrasonic Dog Anti Bark Control - it works with ultra sonic waves but im sceptical if it would actually work?

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/bark-control/petsafe-deluxe-outdoor-ultrasonic-dog-anti-bark-control.html#sthash.Bt0CIEcA.dpuf

Then there is the anti shock or citronella spray collars.

Has anyone used any of these before with sucess?

What breed?

- Cocker Spaniel and a very talkative one :)

How old?

18months old

Inside/outside?

Both

What does her day consist of ?

2 walks a day 45mins each

Then inside except for when I am out or when its time to go out to go to the toilet although I have been putting her outside for longer periods of time recently to add more separation between us

How long since you moved?

1 month

Did she start barking straight away?

Yes

What training did you do ?

We are doing obedience training and along with that I have tried suggestions from the trainers along with bones, toys, feeding when leaving, putting a covering over the gate so she cant look out through the gate onto the road (shes eaten the wood on this). I have also tried leaving by the side gate so she has physically seen me leave like she use to at my old home. Also ignoring the behavious, rewarding when being good, trying to extend the period of time she is good etc.

We leave our three with indoor/outdoor access when we're at work. They have a dog door into our tiled lounge & this seems to help with reducing the barking. Also removing vision through fences & gates.

They all get a chew when I leave for work & race for beds. I used to give their breakfast in Kong Wobblers before we moved & this kept them entertained for ages. Sand pits and hidden treats in the yard are also good to entertain if you have just one.

As a fellow spaniel owner, I know what you mean re talkative. When mine bark outside when we are home, they are called back in and rewarded for not barking. We are working hard on their barking, the cats across the road have taken to taunting them. Lots of rewards for not barking and things to do.

Guest crazydoglady99

Consider a pheromone collar in conjuction with the distractions/ ttraining etc?? (Also known as DAP collar & Adaptil collar)

If you leave them inside aren't you worried about little presents?

We cant give them access to inside and outside without leaving the back door open, not advised in our neighbourhood unfortunately.

what about getting her a dog house?

Do the DAP collars really work?

Ours have a dog door so can come in & out as they please.. We lock the screen door that has the dog door & push the sliding glass door across and shove a piece of wood in to jamb it into place.

You could provide her with a kennel yes. We have always given ours access to somewhere inside. Our new place is low set so the lounge. Old place was a double storey so they had all underneath the house (garage & storage area). Both with dog door access.

If you use a kennel, just watch where its positioned so if it rains it doesn't blow into the kennel. I'd put something in it that smells like you & get her used to going in & out of it.

I don't have experience with the DAP collars. I have been putting lavender & peppermint oil drops on my oldest's collars to help calm (for other issues) but it seems to help.

I had trouble with my youngest westie barking at the house-sit last year and breaking their week up with doggy day care (I work full-time). I also used Adaptil Spray on their beds on non-doggy daycare days and that helped a lot. I'd be careful with citronella collars - I've seen dogs completely depressed and shut-down with their use.