Any Advice On Handling A 16 Yr Pointer (English)

blonde

Im hoping I am in the correct section of the forums-apologies if I am not.

My little boy Thomas who is 16 (anyone else out there with a 16 year old pointer- and is it rare?) lost his 15 & a half year old sister last year (not from the same litter though)... but now he is 16 is is suffering from something I think the vet terms as spinal degradation and makes his back legs unsteady and painful. Last week he had a cyst removed- it was a difficult operation as they didn't want to put him completely under due to his age, but all went well. In the last 2 days though we have found him floundering on the floor when we have come home unable to get up- unable to grip the floor properly with both front and back legs , which then leads him to exhaustion... We literally have to pick him up from the back and put his feet flat on the ground. He walks around our property daily- several times.... one of our neighbours said we should put him down.. but Thomas still wags his tails- eats like a horse and seems happy doing his own thing-he has the will, but not the means... his sister Mary was very much the same-but in the end her heart stopped.

I guess I am wondering what other dog owners do with large old dogs, that are difficult to manoeuvre -as opposed to a small doggie. His legs are so long, they often get caught up in eachother..

its such an awful thing to experience... although having said that I have my 11 year old cocker spaniel who suffers dilated cardiomyopathy , is very hard of hearing, and had late onset PRA and is now completely blind.. lucky I am home every day for them..

post-21972-0-34332600-1424796334_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-63216600-1424796412_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-45752600-1424796444_thumb.jpg

First of all they are beautiful photos.

Second I think you are a wonderful, caring owner.

My oldest dog is currently a 13 year old lab.

Do you have carpet or rugs in the house? I have quite a few rugs around the house as my boy can also find it difficult sometimes to get up.

I also trim the hair between his pads as it Can grow quite long.

Maybe his walks around your property can be a little restricted, so he has a bit more energy to get up during the day?

I also don't allow my old fellow to jump (in the car, on the lounge) and give both my dogs joint guard and fish oil tablets every day.

Please give Thomas (and your cocker) a gentle pat from me!

He is gorgeous!

I'm not sure if it would be of any use in his situation, but my rescue boy, who is only 6 suffers from arthritis and wobbly back end. I started giving him turmeric paste and he definitely is more while now. Maybe worth looking into? henry also gets fish oil smile.gif

There are quite a large number of special harnesses and slings on the market for helping to lift and manoeuvre older large breed dogs. Some support the whole dog and some just the hindquarters. Vets/nurses often 'towel walk' large dogs recovering from surgery - just loop a towel under his stomach near his hind limbs and use that to lift and support him (with a normal harness, two crossed leads or collar at the front, depending on what works for you). I agree about using rugs and mats around him to help him stay steady on his feet - you may need to confine him to a safe area when you aren't there. Keep him warm and comfy, supportive bedding is great. He might be ready for some daily pain relief too.

Hi,

Our 13 year old Dane went in the rear, it's pretty common occurrence in elderly big dogs. If it's a nerve function problems sadly there is little that can be done apart from making their remaining time as nice as possible.

We tried a harness but she didn't like it, I would just help her when she needed it, thankfully I work from home and that was do-able.

I do Myofunctional and Thermal Therapy in Seven Hills if you wanted to give it a try.

Edited by sas

You guys are so sweet-thank you...

Yes we have rugs and have bought massive amount of towels for his accidents inside but also for grip where there may not be carpet... and yes we will try the towel walking thing- its a great idea.

Poor little boy has become so thin- I have been feeding him 4 times a day because the vet said small meals frequently but he is eating a large scotch fillet steak at every meal- cut up in bite sized pieces and hand fed lol- and chicken breast too- I know I am spoiling him by this food but why not- he deserves it- he has given me a lifetime of happiness..

post-21972-0-89842700-1424857733_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-33882600-1424857780_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-05659800-1424857827_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-17033400-1424857868_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-74315900-1424858036_thumb.jpg

post-21972-0-59661200-1424858074_thumb.jpg

We moved into a house with floor boards in December. We've got a few yoga mats in selected areas for traction. They're cheap, easy to find and can be washed. They really helped when Scotts confidence was getting a bit bruised with lots of slips and falls

I usually have elderly dogs and have bought rubber mats from Bunnings - quite inexpensive but they provide the secure grip that helps the dogs stay upright.

Offcuts of carpets with non-slip backing will also help.

I've lost 2 dogs over the years whose back legs just gave way and nothing could be done, it came on over a period of months during which time the mats etc helped.

Good luck, alternative therapies are certainly worth a look at these times.

First of all they are beautiful photos.

Second I think you are a wonderful, caring owner.

My oldest dog is currently a 13 year old lab.

Do you have carpet or rugs in the house? I have quite a few rugs around the house as my boy can also find it difficult sometimes to get up.

I also trim the hair between his pads as it Can grow quite long.

Maybe his walks around your property can be a little restricted, so he has a bit more energy to get up during the day?

I also don't allow my old fellow to jump (in the car, on the lounge) and give both my dogs joint guard and fish oil tablets every day.

Please give Thomas (and your cocker) a gentle pat from me!

Your post, blonde, and this one reduced me to tears.

I also echo what Persephone has said re feeding him things to keep his weight up.

If you have to go out, maybe put him in a smaller room or an enclosure of some description where, if he does have difficulty getting up, he has something firm and gripable under his feet and doesn't struggle to get up so he can go walkabout?

Have a look at two websites I've been recommended lately with regard to natural goodies and supplements for dogs with or without health problems:

BM Animals in Melbourne

Loyalty Pets in Brisbane