Odd Swelling On Neck

Just after some guesses and/or ideas of what this could be before I take him back to the vet. As a background I took him to the vet yesterday because of a related (or I'd think so?) reasonably solid lump on his neck. The vet was fairly certain it was scar tissue and we're monitoring it for a couple of weeks before taking a biopsy, or if it is scar tissue as suspected, it should be gone by then. Anyway, the same night I noticed his neck skin on the same side feeling thicker and like there was fluid underneath. I didn't see any obvious fluid buildups at the time but this morning it was very obvious and he's got a rather large, soft lump on his chest now too.

Thing is though, it really feels like there's even more now and half his neck skin is very droopy and odd. It goes from his chest to his throat and the asymmetry between the two sides is obvious. To me it really does feel like fluid underneath the skin and it is definitely separate from muscles or anything else beneath, just under the skin. I didn't find any bite or other marks on him either that would explain it.

The initial, more solid lump is somewhat visible in the third picture near the top, just to give you an idea where it is and whether it could be related.

13731991.t.jpg

13731992.t.jpg

13731993.t.jpg

Not a grass seed, I'm overseas and it's winter. I'll be calling the vet again tomorrow (10 pm over here), but currently it's not bothering him at all, not itchy or painful to the touch. He was palpated thoroughly yesterday though, lymph nodes included so this is very strange and sudden.

I think you need to go back to the vet. The palpitation yesterday may have caused a reaction either from the original lump or from the lymph nodes.

Update! I just had another look and the swelling has gone down considerably. It's still there, but nowhere near as bad. Not too sure what originally triggered it but I'm hoping there won't be much left by tomorrow morning. The time frame for all this has been strangely fast and it went from top picture to the ones below in a few hours.

13732103.t.jpg

13732104.t.jpg

That will be done next if it is still there in a week or two or starts to change in any way. The vet said normally with these kind of lumps by the time the results are back confirming it as scar tissue the lump is already gone. Trust me I'm keeping a very close eye on it. If this had happened next month I would've probably gone for the biopsy straight away but sadly I'm on a very strict budget this month.

When Sally first got sick, it was a big neck lump that came up out of nowhere and went away again before our vet appointment (~48 hours). Because it was gone by the time we got there and hadn't been weeping, oozing or doing anything else worrying, the vet told us to just keep an eye on the area in case it came back. When it did come back, it was cancer, incredibly aggressive and by the time I noticed the new small lump on her neck (in a different spot), it had already spread into the major veins and arteries there, meaning we only had two options- let the cancer kill her or have her put to sleep.

Sally also had the weird loose skin, there's a picture in the thread about it on here somewhere.

I'm not saying it's the same thing for your dog but with that area, I think it pays to be much more cautious.