Fox Red Labrador Breeders In Australia

sammaj

Hello everyone, i am hoping someone here in australia can help me by directing me to a breeder that has Fox red labradors. they are a darker version of a golden labrador and are very common in the U.S, Canada and even now in Britain, but am having problems getting onto someone her in australia.

I have a hotmail mail address too if this helps. it is [email protected]

Thank you regards Sam

About fifteen years ago I visited a kennel around the Plainlands area in QLD and saw with my own eyes, several Fox Red Labradors. They were magnificent dogs. I believe they had been imported via the UK. The beautiful colour threw my at first and I had to look at them for a moment until the penny dropped what I was seeing!

Someone here may remember the kennel name.

ETA.... a quick search of 'boarding kennels Plainlands QLD' and i found this link

CLICK HERE If you open the link, and then click on the link for pictures, that is definitely the property I visited. I cannot tell how old the advertisement is, but that is the best lead I have.

Edited by GrufLife

Thank you for the previous forum to look at. they mention the fox red and or dark golden are about, but no contacts to get in touch with. i'll just keep looking here and hopefully somebody out there in australia may know of someone

Regards sam

Thank you for the previous forum to look at. they mention the fox red and or dark golden are about, but no contacts to get in touch with. i'll just keep looking here and hopefully somebody out there in australia may know of someone

Regards sam

I guess my point in the other thread was that the darker colours do pop up occasionally in imported field-bred dogs but you will not find any of the decent breeders breeding for colour. A good dog is never a bad colour - I do know of a darker dog in Vic that is very successful in the field and has been used at stud but I imagine the chances of getting a darker pup from him would be pretty slim. A lot of the local dogs are black for a start and pups will go to homes that are more interested in working ability, hip and eye scores rather than colour. They are a lot of dog and not for the faint hearted either.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

i appreciate your input. i had a fox red in the usa and would like another. ultimately it is about there nature that i am attracted to with labs and if i can get a lab in fox red or even a dark golden, then that would be ideal.

thank you once again

sam

Regards sam

I guess my point in the other thread was that the darker colours do pop up occasionally in imported field-bred dogs but you will not find any of the decent breeders breeding for colour. A good dog is never a bad colour - I do know of a darker dog in Vic that is very successful in the field and has been used at stud but I imagine the chances of getting a darker pup from him would be pretty slim. A lot of the local dogs are black for a start and pups will go to homes that are more interested in working ability, hip and eye scores rather than colour. They are a lot of dog and not for the faint hearted either.

I know nothing about red fox labs, had never heard the term before reading this thread but I have to agree with TSD in saying no decent breeder breeds for colour. I would liken breeding to get red fox labs a bit like breeding for blue staffys. Are we going to see this repeated?

I know nothing about red fox labs, had never heard the term before reading this thread but I have to agree with TSD in saying no decent breeder breeds for colour. I would liken breeding to get red fox labs a bit like breeding for blue staffys. Are we going to see this repeated?

If this is true, why are there so many yellow Labs (with the shade of yellow seeming to get ever lighter)? A century ago almost all Labs were black. Black is dominant. Without breeding for color this would never have happened.

Look at how strongly goldens are moving to cream. In WA I remember shows where dozens of goldies were entered . . . not a single one dark.

Look at the rapid increase in number and quality of chocolate Labs in Australia. Ten years ago chocos were a rarity and seldom did well in the ring. After a lot of importing of top lines, this has changed greatly.

Yes, many breeders breed for color to get a premium price, and some (many?) do it indiscriminately. But others bend over backwards, importing new lines and doing a lot of AI, to develop excellent lines carrying uncommon colors.

That said, I wouldn't look for a red fox Lab in Oz. There are probably a few around, but you're narrowing your options so much it isn't worth it.

have you tried doing a google search for

Fox Red Labradore + australia

I did that & came up with a few dog studs based in aus & web pages which mention the term..

for those that talk about do or do not breed for colour, there is scientific research which shows that just breeding for temperament will actually change/modify/control the colour of a chosen breed.

I did that & came up with a few dog studs based in aus & web pages which mention the term..

for those that talk about do or do not breed for colour, there is scientific research which shows that just breeding for temperament will actually change/modify/control the colour of a chosen breed.

For sure - but that doesn't mean selecting for "Red Fox" will get you the dog you want in terms of temperament and health. It may also limit your gene pool.

For sure - but that doesn't mean selecting for "Red Fox" will get you the dog you want in terms of temperament and health. It may also limit your gene pool.

I didn't say that breeding for colour would change the temperament, just that breeding for temperament also has a factor on coat, nor that breeding for temperament would get you the chosen colour.

I would be very wary of anyone who selects predominately for colour, of course this is a factor but where it is the highest priority factor I would run a mile.

It is possible to do a good job of breeding for color, but it either takes decades of work looking for chance appearances of the desired color in quality dogs, or tens of thousands of dollars importing quality genetic material (AI is cheaper than importing studs, but takes longer).

It's VERY easy to tell whether a breeder is doing a good job . . . or indiscriminately breeding for color. Just ask them about temperament and health of sire/grandsire and grand-dam, etc. If they can't answer, there's a problem.

I like red fox Labs. When I lived in Oz and was breeding Labs, I briefly considered going for red and concluded it was beyond my means and lifespan to make it work. Could be done. Would take 20 or 30 years . . . and perhaps $50k.

Edited by sandgrubber