Saturday Senior

Mojo i would guess wont live that much longer, its a shame he has such a high price tag really. it could lose him that chance of a warm bed for his last year or so.

Mojo is looking fantastic for an older dog and obviously had been shockingly neglected previously. I find it hard to believe that someone who would be inspired to take on an old, big dog knowing the chances of having much more than a year with him to give him all the love and comforts deserved would be put off by a price tag.

He is a rottie, they dont live that long and at 13 he is already pushing it. I would hate to see his chances diminished thats all.

Yes I agree. My local pound back home usually only charge $100 for a senior and that's after they've spent a lot on dentals and whatever else is needed. Like it or not a lot of people will look at a dog that age and that price and will think hhmmmm nope it'll die soon anyway. Sad but true I'm afraid.

Thanks for your comments guys - obviously it's a hard call with senior dogs, but in the case of Mojo he came in with nothing done, and has had:

- microchip

- C5 vaccination

- flea and worming

- heartworm test

- full blood screen

- castration

- full dental

- bilateral entropian surgery

- 2 months+ of boarding, feed and maintenance (while on a weight-gain diet too)

+ council registration fee (legal requirement)

(Total happiness: priceless) :laugh:

His adoption fee of $365 is more than reasonable, I feel. However, we are always happy to consider alternatives for the seniors - if there's a genuinely great home for him whose circumstances might restrict them from paying an upfront adoption fee, by all means they can contact us :)

Edited by carolineh1

I understand what you are saying, and i know the oldies cost a fortune sometimes to get them well enough to adopt out, but i for one wouldn't even consider contacting you when i saw the fee,so others might just sidestep him for fear of asking.

Its not about recouping what was spent sometimes, just a comfy spot to see out their days , has to be more important than being in a kennel.

I understand what you are saying, and i know the oldies cost a fortune sometimes to get them well enough to adopt out, but i for one wouldn't even consider contacting you when i saw the fee,so others might just sidestep him for fear of asking.

Its not about recouping what was spent sometimes, just a comfy spot to see out their days , has to be more important than being in a kennel.

That's how I see it too. Having been in rescue for quite a few years, I was with one large Sydney group whose oldies were as expensive as the younger dogs and they had little or no interest. Sure, every now and then a very special home came forward, prepared to pay the fee but these great homes are few and far between and it's much harder if the dog requires medication or special diets, care etc.

5 years on and I moved to a smaller rescue group (sometimes I rescue the dogs and advertise them through them, sometimes I've fostered the oldies). This group charges a seniors fee and honestly, the dogs don't generally take all that long to find a home although I've just had two exceptions but generally speaking they find great homes within a few weeks/months.

Some groups ask for "donation only", especially for very old dogs. A 13 yr old Rotti is pretty elderly for the breed so perhaps a reduced fee would really help.

Guest crazydoglady99

Mojo from Sydney Dogs and Cats Home is a 13yr old Rotti who's come a looooong way since arriving in care.

ffbu3s.jpg

z7hxe.jpg

bgziog.jpg

241mlqb.jpg

33zb2wy.jpg

Adoption profile here

Oh I love him!!! Just gorgeous! He looks good for 13yrs old!!!

I would pay the adoption fee in a heartbeat (I suspect my 2 bouncy children and active kelpie may be a little too much).

Same animallover :laugh: but I can't imagine my littlies being too happy getting pushed off the sofa.

I understand the adoption fee thing but the other full vetwork pounds have a flat rate $300+ and have been having great results with direct adoptions of senior dogs. :thumbsup:

Guest crazydoglady99

Its a funny thing - adoption fees..

Maybe some people think of it as the cost of the dog? Making it too expensive perhaps?

I see it as vet work.. $300 odd racks up pretty quickly at the vet, so I guess I don't really blink at the adoption fee.

I don't know? I can't speak for anyone else.

i actually prefer older dogs, however, there is senior, and then there is living on borrowed time, and i feel at 13 this rottie is the latter. Priorty must be to get him a home, and i see the price tag putting people off.

i actually prefer older dogs, however, there is senior, and then there is living on borrowed time, and i feel at 13 this rottie is the latter. Priorty must be to get him a home, and i see the price tag putting people off.

I had a look at the prices of the other dogs there and.. :eek:

In somewhat related news.. Grace (our oldy from a few pages back) has gone on trial with a family. No adoption fee (or even request of a donation), I'm just happy for her to have her own home.

In somewhat related news.. Grace (our oldy from a few pages back) has gone on trial with a family. No adoption fee (or even request of a donation), I'm just happy for her to have her own home.

Woo hoo greyt news for Grace Maddy!

Fingers crossed her trial is successful :crossfingers:

Woo hoo greyt news for Grace Maddy!

Fingers crossed her trial is successful :crossfingers:

So far, so good :D The new home already has a couple of greyhound girls and Grace does enjoy hanging out with other ladies so she's settled better than I could have hoped for.

Guest donatella

It's not Saturday but she fits the thread and at 18 it makes me sick if anyone in TAS knows a home for a fluffy old lady Tammy. She's at RSPCA Tasmania

post-41750-14286528632415_thumb.jpg

It's not Saturday but she fits the thread and at 18 it makes me sick if anyone in TAS knows a home for a fluffy old lady Tammy. She's at RSPCA Tasmania

Doesn't have to be a Saturday Don post away for any oldie in need on any day. Gorgeous old sweetheart!!

Hmmm from what I've heard Hobart RSPCA is not the best :/ I could be wrong...Maddy??

Doesn't have to be a Saturday Don post away for any oldie in need on any day. Gorgeous old sweetheart!!

Hmmm from what I've heard Hobart RSPCA is not the best :/ I could be wrong...Maddy??

I think I've seen her posted around.

Hobart is better than the Launceston shelter. From memory, Hobart is "no kill" and they'd be unlikely to PTS a small, easy to sell dog (especially if it looks like a purebred). Although the shelter itself is no place for a dog of that age, the poor old lady.

I think I've seen her posted around.

Hobart is better than the Launceston shelter. From memory, Hobart is "no kill" and they'd be unlikely to PTS a small, easy to sell dog (especially if it looks like a purebred). Although the shelter itself is no place for a dog of that age, the poor old lady.

Oh good thanks Maddy happy to be wrong in this case. Dear old darling I'll share on FB Donatella.