Boy In Brisbane Attacked By Stafford.

Lhok

FIRST ON 7: A five-year-old Gold Coast boy has had extensive plastic surgery after half of his ear was ripped off in a terrifying dog attack.

His mother was just metres away when the animal launched onto the little boy.

"[i'm] a little bit hurt but I'm okay," Kellen Cormie told 7News.

Animal bones found in search for William Tyrell

Security guards for 54 high-risk schools

Boy's ear ripped off by Irish staffy

He had been heading to the shops, with his mother and twin brother when they went next door to thank the neighbours for mowing his family's lawn.

Then their dog charged at little Kellen.

"He knocked [him] over, launched onto his ear," Kellen's mother Kay said.

The owner came out and ripped the dog's mouth open. His mother could do little.

"You can't have a dog that can kill, and that was what he was trying to do," Kay said.

Half of Kellen's ear was ripped off during the terrifying attack. Photo: First On 7News

"[There was] blood everywhere, he was just screaming and crying."

Much of the boy's left ear was ripped off.

Q: Were you scared [Kellen]?

A: Yes it was a bad dog.

The animal also mauled his side and shoulder.

Kay grabbed her two boys and the ear and rushed to hospital.

Kellen's father was told of the attack over the phone. He feared his son had been killed.

"There was relief involved because I thought the worst," Scott Cormie said.

Kellen endured hours of surgery after being savaged by the Irish staffy. Photo: First On 7News

A team of plastic surgeons spent four hours re-attaching Kellen's ear.

"On a scale of injury this is devastating particularly for a young boy," Dr Justin Perron said. "It's quite a ripped tear of tissue so hard to say if it will work."

Kellen's parents had feared an attack like this could happen.

They have warned both boys many times before, not to go near their neighbour's dog.

"If he wasn't here, I just can't describe it," Kay said.

Here's the link:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/26479044/boys-ear-ripped-off-by-irish-staffy/

--Lhok

In Ireland they call an SBT x Pit Bull an Irish staffy. Not sure why they're using the term here.

Yeah you'd think a simple Staffy X or pit bull X would suffice to satisfy....

But nope call it another thing entirely.

Poor kid. Hope the surgery works and appropriate legal action is taken against the dog's owners.

I wouldn't call that particularly bad journalism: just spurr of the moment collection of impressions from the people involved. Dog folks complain no matter what label they put on a dog. Someone the reporter talked to probably called it an Irish Staffy and the reporter used their words. I don't like the breathles, disjointed style, with short sentence followed by short sentence. But at least the article isn't burdened by a bunch of crap interpretation.

"Irish Staffy" = "Pit bull"

Poor little boy, hope he recovers physically and mentally.

If you take a Staffordshire bull terrier and put it in a pit and match it, does it become an English (pit) bull terrier. The stafford was being matched in England in the pit long before American go their bull terrier. Even said the original dogs that main pit dog breeders like earl Tudor came from Irish pit dogs or Staffordshire.

And that dog that bitten the kid has no fighting dogs in over twenty years, most likely, so how can you call it a pit bull,it's just a bull terrier. It's not a pit dog.