Topical Heartworm Prevention?

I have been using Interceptor on my lot for many years and it has been great but now I am looking for one that is more suitable for my old girl with IBD and an easily upset gut.

It seems that Interceptor is irritating her a little and it has been such hard work to get her gut settled, I don't want to aggravate things any more than I have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions...I am thinking topical (spot on) type heartworm prevention?

Fleas, mites etc. are not an issue here and I don't want to give her anything based on Ivermectin.

I was contemplating giving her the yearly heartworm injection until I discovered it is Ivermectin which is not a nice chemical.

I think advocate covers heartworm and other worms except tapeworm. It's a monthly spot on.

Advocate is a multi-purpose medication that combines Imidacloprid (the active ingredient in Advantage) with Moxidectin. It treats fleas, as well as prevents heartworm, hookworm and roundworm in dogs and cats, plus whipworm in dogs. It also controls other external parasites such as lice and ear mites in cats, and mange mites and lice in dogs. Application is monthly to the skin at the back of the neck. Advocate does not treat ticks or tapeworm. It is recommended to worm with a tapewormer tablet once every 3 months.
Edited by aliwake

Advocate is suitable for use in ivermectin sensitive collies.

Moxidectin is not ivermectin

It is also safe to use in dogs that have had the SR12 HEARTWORM injection

There is no need to test prior to use of advocate .

Cover all intestinal worms and larval stages (4)

HEARTWORM

Fleas, ear mites, sarcopties and démodéctic mange mites, and much more

Not tapeworm as most tapeworm occur due to fleas and advocate treats fleas and all,larvals so they cannot evolve into tapeworms.

Hope this helps

• 5 months later...