Weekly Agility Challenge

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havn't done one for a while, but have just made up the one that my class will be doing tomorrow night....lucky guys :D Part of it, 9 through to 13 (AF to Tunnel) is from an Open Agility course that we ran at a trial on the weekend. Out of 70 dogs entered, only three finished clear & one of them was me with Bindi..2nd place with 18 seconds to spare. No-one was more surprised than me :laugh: We attempted a German turn on 10, 11 & 12 & it paid off. For those who are wondering what a GT is, it is basically a push to the back followed by a blind cross on the landing side at the far wing..in this case bringing the dog over 11. Jumps 10 & 11 were quite close together.

May%2025th%202015_zpssmog7lmr.gif

Does it matter which end of tunnel (no 13) you go into? Is it leftish end or right ish end looking at the picture.

Also 11 to 12 looks like straight ahead into the tunnel and then round the back to get from the tunnel to 14...?

Looks like a challenging course. I think I would not get the exclusion zone, especially asking my dog to do stuff from the other side of that tunnel (7).

Does it matter which end of tunnel (no 13) you go into? Is it leftish end or right ish end looking at the picture.

Also 11 to 12 looks like straight ahead into the tunnel and then round the back to get from the tunnel to 14...?

Looks like a challenging course. I think I would not get the exclusion zone, especially asking my dog to do stuff from the other side of that tunnel (7).

When the number is in the middle of the tunnel, it means you can decide to take it from either end. The trap a lot fell into, was when & if they got 10 & 11 right, the dogs headed straight for the end of the tunnel, without taking 12.

Hi Sheena

I've seen a few courses from OS where it's handlers choice which way they take an obstacle, but not so many locally. Ok none but I haven't walked many masters courses recently and I'm not the one deciding if they got the course right. I have walked a few opens and there's been on "your choice" on tunnel ends (or jump directions).

I think I'd want to push the dog around the back on the "left" side of 10 so she was pointing in the direction of 11 and then it could be a sort of a threadle and then straight to 12 so I'd want to get between 10 and 11 - go straight from 11 to 12 to the left end of the tunnel so I could supervise around the back for 14... not sure how I'd get her to the weaves without getting in the way - she still doesn't have the best independent entry but I could see how this course would be great fun for someone with a good round the back (lala?) and independent weave (not to mention the distance handling stuff around the back then into the tunnel at 7)

I guess if someone didn't have their shoulders set right they could send their dog to the tunnel - which must have looked more tempting set up on the field than it does on the map.

I don't use la la etc, I just keep it simple & have trained my dog to go to the back of the jump with a simple verbal "push". What I did was a push behind on RHS at 10, followed by a blind cross on the landing side close to the left upright, picking my dog up with my left as she landed, then put her over 11 on my left rotating my shoulders (& calling) to go over 12, then send into lower end of tunnel, while I got into position behind 14 & out from the wing near the 12, picking my dog up with my right hand & flicking it over 14 with my right hand then putting it into the weaves with my left. This last bit is called a "forced front cross". The first bit is a German Turn, except that normally a GT would bring the dog around the wing after the Blind cross. In this case I extended after the blind & put her over the jump, with my shoulders continuing to rotate, so she would go over 12. I did have to call though, as a lot of dogs were not taking 12, but running straight to the tunnel.

With the exclusion bit, its not any easy one, but I never make things easy for my class :laugh: I did a similiar one on the weekend but where the tunnel is, there were the weave poles instead. It wasn't an exclusion zone, but I was running my fast dog & there was no way I could have kept up with him running around the arc, so I took a chance & layered him with the weaves between us & we did it :thumbsup: I just kept my arm up & telling him to get out till I wanted him to turn back to me.

It's a very Rick Charlesworth (Hockey) thing (and Herb Elliot's running coach was the same) - make training really really hard that competition seems easy by comparison...

The blind cross around a jump wing - I think we were calling them Katcher turns or KTs. My dog loves a blind cross. Must be a way I can use that so I don't have to keep twisting my (busted) knee with front crosses in awkward places.

I'm not really good at saying "lalala" either. She's got a really good understanding of "go round" at the moment but she takes that literally - ie goes around - all the way around without taking the obstacle - which might be useful but isn't always going to be what I want.

Just a little one this week as we have been trialing for the last three days & only a couple of us are going to be turning up for training tonight. Biggest challenge will be distance handling the whole speed circle from just the square in the middle, disregarding numbers...just a full circle starting wherever you wish :)

1st%20June.%202015_zpsa8edkgqr.gif

• 2 months later...

I havn't put one up for a while. We have been practicing reverse spins & flips, so I am putting this one up Monday night as there are three places here where we can put what we have been learning into practice.

24th%20August%202015_zpslefoqiit.gif

Ooh that's a tricky one.

I wish my "independent weaves" were a lot more independent but even if they were, I don't know how I'd tell her to go to the far end of the weaves without being at the end of the scramble (do I have an independent scramble - sort of, she will go up and down it without me - contact - sometimes). Cos where I'd really like to be going as an H is towards 14 for that loop.

Not sure what you mean by reverse spins and flips

We know spin and twist (spin the other way), don't know what a flip is. We can do "roll over" but I don't want to see that on an agility course. I know what a flick (away) is.

Ooh that's a tricky one.

I wish my "independent weaves" were a lot more independent but even if they were, I don't know how I'd tell her to go to the far end of the weaves without being at the end of the scramble (do I have an independent scramble - sort of, she will go up and down it without me - contact - sometimes). Cos where I'd really like to be going as an H is towards 14 for that loop.

Not sure what you mean by reverse spins and flips

We know spin and twist (spin the other way), don't know what a flip is. We can do "roll over" but I don't want to see that on an agility course. I know what a flick (away) is.

Probably the same thing but with a different name. A reverse spin is eg. you are ahead of the dog who is on your right, as you get to the take off point you turn into the dog & cue him over the jump with your right arm, then continue to pivot while the dog takes the jump & pick him back up with the same arm (your right) but with a head change (blind cross). It is handy for pulling the dog off an off course obstacle & is tighter than simply doing a shoulder pull...Here is a reverse spin

It looks very similiar to a flip, but with a flip you maintain eye contact with the dog for longer, till the dog lands, then do your blind cross further along the line of the dogs path. It is a tighter turn around the wing than a reverse spin. Here is a Flip

( I am trying to put up the Flip video but it keeps reverting to the RS :( )

I agree...a rollover would not go over very well in the middle of a run :laugh:

Edited by sheena

Ok that first one I call a check check check... (Susan Garrett's cue for it)

The second one... I think is a check check with a Katcher? blind cross around the wing. I'd have to say "out" (move out from me) to get her over the other jump on the way back. Hmm not really changing arms tho if you've used the same arm to send the dog over, but all the shoulder plane stuff is different.

I think Susan uses Lalala if she wants her dog to go around the back of the jump and jump back towards her... We don't have that one yet.

what ever way I run - I don't want to be doing pirouettes on my dodgy knee which a lot of front cross stuff does to me. My dog loves to rear cross me (blind cross) and I'm still trying to figure out how I can use that to change arms. Should be easy. I just run where I want to go and put the arm up on the side I want her to be. And hope she doesn't trip me up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably do both with a tight cue.

For me the first one is just a K Turn.

The second one I think is overly complicated. It could be done with the same K turn as the first, but then with a wit wit/here here whatever to bring them around that jump. The way she does it in the video is a bit messy for me.

That's the cool thing though - everyone is trying different stuff. :)

We set it up at training last night & we did it :thumbsup: 5 to 6, 9 to 10 & 14 to 15, though some of us, myself included had trouble keeping the dog off the weaves. I have made a note to myself to keep my eye on my dog. No trouble with sending our dogs to the weaves from the AF while we got into position at 14. We broke it into three sections & then put it all together. It was fun & I was surprised to see how much distance the dogs saved by doing the reverse spins/flips at those spots. :)

As we are just one week out from our trial, this Monday we are going to be doing Strategic Pairs, & if we get through that in plenty of time I will change the numbers & make it an advanced agility course (see course 2)

Strategic%20Pairs%2014th%20Sept%202015_zpsvgz6hbxi.gif

Second course

Course%202-%2014th%20Sept%202015_zps56qbtxmz.gif

• 2 months later...

Next Monday will be our second last night of training for 2015, so I am putting up an Advanced Jumping Course, followed by a Novice Jumping Course that I will work through with my 2015 Beginners Class, possibly back-chaining till they can put it all together :)

Advanced%20Jumping%2023rd%20November%202015_zpsb3nh4bfd.gif

Novice%20Jumping%2023rd%20Nov%202015_zpsmqt4aqly.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks sheena. We haven't put a full course out at Club, but we've tried a few sequences. It's always interesting to look at courses and figure out how you'd run them.

I set them up every week for the Advanced class & try to incorporate something that we have been learning. We then break it down into 3 segments, usually working on any difficult part first & will often backchain, till finally they are running the whole course. Sometimes we start off with just a speed run around the outside to loosen up.