Weekly Agility Challenge

Sheena can you explain the Lap Turn please?

I could easily be on the take off side of obstacle 6 (threadle cue) but that would put me behind which is not ideal in this handling system.

I've done a PDF File up on how to train the Lap Turn but you would need to PM me your email address, so I could send it to you. But basically, as the dog is coming out of the tunnel, you are behind the jump & left of the wing closest to the tunnel facing your dog. You cue him to come to your right hand as if holding a treat bringing him around the wing, then you flip your hand over & that puts him over the jump. All the time you are facing forward ready to race to the next jump. It does require a bit of training, but if you can do Lap Turns, then you don't have to run so far :laugh:

Can I get that too please? I'll PM you :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think it depends whether you have a really independent verbal AND whether you can out run them.

No you don't have to out run them...by the time the dog is performing the jump, you are already heading towards 7 by the time he lands. It's more hand & eye cue than verbal. Some people put a verbal on it, but by the time you say it the dog is already performing the obstacle because of your strong hand & eye cue.

Yes I think it depends whether you have a really independent verbal AND whether you can out run them.

No you don't have to out run them...by the time the dog is performing the jump, you are already heading towards 7 by the time he lands. It's more hand & eye cue than verbal. Some people put a verbal on it, but by the time you say it the dog is already performing the obstacle because of your strong hand & eye cue.

Yep makes sense. My system relies heavily on independent verbal cues so it becomes critical. But that's what's great about agility - soooo many ways to run a course!!!

OMDog :eek: you guys...I have to go & put a baked dinner on :laugh: Any one who wants the notes, send me a PM :) With a bit of practice, I could just about distance handle both my dogs on this, & not move past 6. :laugh:

Sheena, do you have any video? I'm having a hard time seeing how a lap turn would be the best handling option for this scenario.

I would also either front cross or blind cross the tunnel exit to have the dog on the right, then send to backside of the jump and get ahead to blind cross as dog went around the back - this would put dog back on my left so wouldn't need a rear before weaves plus would put me much further ahead (and I don't run 360 but still want to be ahead, lol)

LisaCC - a little depends on your handling system and your dog's stride length. With H360 we aim to be ahead of our dogs as much as possible so I would probably approach it like this:

4: Jump cue (ie take it in full extension; dog on left)

5: Send to the tunnel and get out of there (don't baby sit); blind cross on tunnel exit

6: Na Na Na cue (ie take the back of the jump and wrap the upright tightly)

7: Jump cue; front cross to indicate turn

8: Sprinkler cue (ie collect and turn)

Hope that helps :)

That is how i would have approached it also.

Me too, except I'd probably lalala blind at 6 rather than front. :)

I've got no idea what a lalala blind is but I think this suggestion is the same as what I said ???? Maybe ?????? LOL - the different names for everything do my head in :laugh:

Sheena, do you have any video? I'm having a hard time seeing how a lap turn would be the best handling option for this scenario.

I would also either front cross or blind cross the tunnel exit to have the dog on the right, then send to backside of the jump and get ahead to blind cross as dog went around the back - this would put dog back on my left so wouldn't need a rear before weaves plus would put me much further ahead (and I don't run 360 but still want to be ahead, lol)

There are very short videos included on the PDF File that I have made up. I don't have an actual video of me running the course. I did however, make EVERYONE in class do a Lap Turn there, just for practice. :D

LisaCC - a little depends on your handling system and your dog's stride length. With H360 we aim to be ahead of our dogs as much as possible so I would probably approach it like this:

5: Send to the tunnel and get out of there (don't baby sit); blind cross on tunnel exit

Yep. Like that option too. You could really send and leave with that. kelpiechick - think you are speaking the same language :D

Yep. Like that option too. You could really send and leave with that. kelpiechick - think you are speaking the same language :D

:laugh: All this funny talk....you could call it 'firetrucks' if you wanted...as long as the dog knows the cue. I just taught my dogs that a push behind was just simply "push", & a tight wrap from the front is a "Go Round". Whatever comes natural to me is the cue that I teach them. La la la & Na na na, just dont' come to mind with me :laugh: When you are all finished with this one, I will put up the one that I have done for this Monday night :)

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this up and sparking a great discussion, sheena. I'm doing H360 too ... but not quite up to course work. Gotta say I'm loving the verbals, and coming to grips with blinds.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this up and sparking a great discussion, sheena. I'm doing H360 too ... but not quite up to course work. Gotta say I'm loving the verbals, and coming to grips with blinds.

Yay! Tassie you must post some videos - I would love to see your progress!

Yay! Tassie you must post some videos - I would love to see your progress!

Yes...me too... :thumbsup:

Ok....so we all got over that. Here is the one that I am putting up for the class tonight. Same map as last week, but I have reversed the numbers. Obstacles 12, 13 & 14 I am wanting the class to practice a Forced Front Cross with collection to the tunnel. There are other ways of doing it & I would value your input, but for my class, they will be doing a FFC @13. :) Have fun :D

March%209th_zpshycvikbq.gif

Are the dogs permitted to move behind the handler after the ffc (with whatever name you want to call the move) or do they have to do a post turn around the upright at 13? I would see the broad being an issue if you had to post turn at 13 and would rather turn my back on the dog and leg it to take that out of the equation.

Edited by DeltaCharlie