Weekly Agility Challenge

Are the dogs permitted to move behind the handler after the ffc (with whatever name you want to call the move) or do they have to do a post turn around the upright at 13? I would see the broad being an issue if you had to post turn at 13 and would rather turn my back on the dog and leg it to take that out of the equation.

As the dog is coming out of the tunnel (12)I would be positioned on the take off side of 13 just back a little from where you see '13' I would be cueing my dog that I was going to do a FFC with my hand closest to the jump. With a "FFC with collection" you cue the dog with the hand closest to the jump (similar to a LT but you are more perpendicular to the dogs path) You flick the dog over & walk backwards & either bring the dog around the opposite wing (where you see 4) & either front cross or blind cross to the next obstacle. In this case I would do a blind to bring the dog around the wing & send it straight to the tunnel (14). The broad wouldn't even come into it.

This is a FFC with collection using a Blind

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would be going around the other upright on 13

Yes me too Kavik - call dog out of tunnel on left, Na Na Na for back of jump tight turn around upright closest to tunnel, dog is now on right, send to tunnel. Puts me in a good position as dog will fly through that tunnel.

Loving these Sheena!

Oh good, TSD and Kavik. I think that was what I was thinking. Of course it could be different on the ground, but on paper, that was what I was thinking. (Note to self - keep working on PNU stuff to cement those tight wraps. :laugh:) And yes - thanks again sheena.

Are the dogs permitted to move behind the handler after the ffc (with whatever name you want to call the move) or do they have to do a post turn around the upright at 13? I would see the broad being an issue if you had to post turn at 13 and would rather turn my back on the dog and leg it to take that out of the equation.

As the dog is coming out of the tunnel (12)I would be positioned on the take off side of 13 just back a little from where you see '13' I would be cueing my dog that I was going to do a FFC with my hand closest to the jump. With a "FFC with collection" you cue the dog with the hand closest to the jump (similar to a LT but you are more perpendicular to the dogs path) You flick the dog over & walk backwards & either bring the dog around the opposite wing (where you see 4) & either front cross or blind cross to the next obstacle. In this case I would do a blind to bring the dog around the wing & send it straight to the tunnel (14). The broad wouldn't even come into it.

This is a FFC with collection using a Blind

That is what I wanted to do :) I just know how particular you were with how you wanted these moves done and wasn't sure of your expectations.

For me it would depend on the dog. Shock I would likely wrap the closest upright, I could commit her to it from a fair distance and for her it would be much quicker. She is very tight around an upright and gets into stride quickly. For Whip, the ffc (like in the video) would be the fastest option as his stride is huge and he is much happier slicing a jump than wrapping an upright. I would get a much tighter turn around the far upright and a full stride in before the tunnel. Delta would be better on the near upright but hasn't got the commitment or tightness to make that work quickly so her fastest route would also be the far upright.

The first few runs we did it as a Forced Front Cross with collection to the tunnel, then we all did it as a push behind @ 13 followed by a FC to the tunnel. I think the push behind worked better, but I wanted them to do the former as a training exercise & I think it was probably the better option for the long striding dogs. Surprisingly what they had the most problem with was the exclusion zone. They had all forgotten how to distance handle a back cross :mad I had no problems with Bindi. The only mistake she made was on the first run & she took the tunnel instead of the DW. It was a difficult weave entry for the longer striding dogs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't post one this week as we had our trial, so no training, but this is the one I am putting up for next Monday night's class. It is one we had at the trial & I thought it was a good one for practicing rear crosses & directionals (left & right). Bindi handled it well but because she is a little slower, I struggled in places to do rear crosses. She ran clear but was just over time. I am thinking maybe I should start doing blinds with her instead. Cricket was better with the rear crosses & I tried out his lefts & rights on it & it worked pretty well, except on occasions I called too early & pulled him off. I have to distance handle him as he is way too fast. Usually he distance handles really well, but on the day, he was being a bit of a dick head :laugh:

March%2023rd_zpstkhh7eok.gif

Go ahead. It's going to take a bit of setting up...I hope someone gives me a hand. OH usually sets up for me, but he's going fishing :mad

:rofl: Where are his priorities? ;-)

Exactly...I can't believe he's doing this to me :eek: What is it with men & their fishing mates :confused:

So here were only a couple of us at training yesterday, but we put that course out, and had fun with it. Thanks again, sheena. It ran really nicely - the dogs (2 BCs and a Chinese Crested) really enjoyed the flowing lines, and the couple of technical bits gave us a nice training opportunity. Weaves into tunnel is always an interesting test - both mine failed first up - pulled out at 10. :laugh:

Glad you had fun with it. I am not sure if I am going to put that one up tonight. It will all depend on how many people turn up early to help with it & it looks a little like rain. So I have a smaller course as a back up. I can make them up on paper....but I am hopeless at setting them out on the ground :laugh:

I designed this week's course mainly so we could practice back crosses. I wanted them to start with the dog on their right & back cross @ 3,4 & 13. I had no trouble running Bindi, but the couple of faster, longer striding dogs had trouble getting over 4, even without attempting a back cross @4. They were going from 3 & heading straight for the weaves. I fixed that by getting them to do their BC at 3 ... crossing further behind the dog (handler almost crossing where the number 13 is)...does that make sense ??? Backside of the tunnel was no problem...I should have made it harder :laugh: We had the jumps spread out a little further than what is in the map.

Later on in the night I reversed the course...will put that one up later :)

March%2030th%20Back%20Crosses_zps24frppiz.gif

Edited by sheena

I designed this week's course mainly so we could practice back crosses. I wanted them to start with the dog on their right & back cross @ 3,4 & 13. I had no trouble running Bindi, but the couple of faster, longer striding dogs had trouble getting over 4, even without attempting a back cross @4. They were going from 3 & heading straight for the weaves. I fixed that by getting them to do their BC at 3 ... crossing further behind the dog (handler almost crossing where the number 13 is)...does that make sense ??? Backside of the tunnel was no problem...I should have made it harder :laugh: We had the jumps spread out a little further than what is in the map.

March%2030th%20Back%20Crosses_zpsqcdr6wsn.gif

Do you have video? I'm having a blonde moment and struggling to get the rear cross at #4 part :) I can see the rear cross at #3 if you are starting with the dog on your right, but wouldn't you then be rear crossing them at #5? Might have to set that part up and have a fiddle with it. Sorry, but I wouldn't run the rest of it though, I'm not keen on having my dogs do a pull through off a tyre and would withdraw from any course that had that in it as I see it as a major safety issue.

March%2030th%20Back%20Crosses_zps24frppiz.gif

Do you have video? I'm having a blonde moment and struggling to get the rear cross at #4 part :) I can see the rear cross at #3 if you are starting with the dog on your right, but wouldn't you then be rear crossing them at #5? Might have to set that part up and have a fiddle with it. Sorry, but I wouldn't run the rest of it though, I'm not keen on having my dogs do a pull through off a tyre and would withdraw from any course that had that in it as I see it as a major safety issue.

Whoops....I just had a look at my original plan...9 & 10 are on opposite sides....I will upload again :) I had it scribbled out on the plan I used last night....Have amended it ..is that better :)

Edited by sheena

I stillwould have concerns with the approach from 7 tunnel to the 8 tire, I think. Would probably have to look at it on the ground, but I'm pretty picky about angles of entry an exit with tyres.

Surprisingly ..no-one had any problems with that & just handled it as a serpentine.

I think that's always a dilemma - how far do you go to set a safe flowing course, and how much do you expect people to train their dogs to work out a safe approach or entry for themselves...

Last week the mini courses we were working on all had the finish and the start being the same obstacle - which slowed down the transition from one handler to the next because you couldn't line up and start while the other person was gathering their dog. Note this was a beginnerish level class - and some of us were better at that stuff than others. But even masters competitors have varying levels of skill about finishing and moving off the course.

I stillwould have concerns with the approach from 7 tunnel to the 8 tire, I think. Would probably have to look at it on the ground, but I'm pretty picky about angles of entry an exit with tyres.

Me too Tassie. Some organisations would not allow that angle on a tyre. Easy enough to make a bit safer by rotating the tyre so that the approach is straight on. I'd never ask a dog to perform a tyre as part of a serp.

I love the rest of the challenges - they'd be a great test of the puppy's understanding. There are some very lucky people in your classes to have an instructor spend so much time and mental energy putting things together for them. :)