Old Dogs

nelsona

My old Lab still enjoys his walks, in fact he bounces around like a puppy (he regrets it later though) when we first go. Can't say anyone has ever said anything about him but he tends to get ignored especially when the Samoyeds or Havanese (he's in full coat) are with us. I don't take it as an insult or get upset about it, Labs are common, Samoyeds and Havanese aren't.

I do love seeing the veterans sweepies at shows though. They're so sweet getting out there again and showing their hearts out. It's gorgeous.

Edited by Bjelkier

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it brings me inner peace to know that my home isn't being ripped apart, the neighbours disturbed by constant barking or garden dug up whilst I'm at work ...

I recently moved house and yesterday I discovered Loki had spent the day digging himself a burrow in the new garden bed. :o He has been living in it all day.. first hole he has dug in a decade! :laugh:

Life in the old boy yet, obviously.

I would imagine that most people would only make comments if they thought that the old dog was in pain or reluctant to walk however I have never had a negative experience.

Years ago I had an old poodle that had severe arthritis who couldn't walk much however not wanting her to miss out I made a pushchair from a wire shopping basket on wheel by cutting a viewing panel out of the front & sitting her in it on a cushion, we didn't have the doggy prams back then, so pushing her along the footpath at the beach with another dog or 2 on leads she got so much fuss & attention & absolutely loved it.

Some people are very ignorant though & all you can do is ignore them & enjoy your walk.

Hank was very sore towards the end but would bark and do the "Hanky dance" at the door anytime I went to the bathroom after 4pm. It would take an hour to amble 800m to the dog park, hang out and watch the action and then amble home. Yes some people did comment once his rear end started looking wobbly and wasted. It's tough growing old but if people are squeamish they got a big shock coming their way.

Jake just started his cartrophen and arthritis treatments. Seems too soon for me.

My 14 year old girl BC before passing was still having 2 walks a day and reasonable length walks and out walking my young girl :laugh:. In fact 2 days before she died was about the only time she slowed down.

I love the oldies too but I do get concerned about the dogs I see that are struggling to walk and clearly in pain. DOLers tend to be well educated in general but much of the dog owning public have little idea that their dog is suffering and that pain killers etc wouldn't go astray. I started a conversation with a guy a few days ago - lovely old Boxer clearly enjoying a sniff at the oval but in a lot of pain - arthritis, hips. I'm pretty good at gently guiding a chat without judgement and the owner told me the dog was not on any pain relief. I just remarked how stoic dogs were in general and how veterinary science has come so far blah blah and by the end he said he was going to take the old dog to the vet for a check up :)

I have an old girl who will be 14 in May and has been partially paralysed since she was 18 months old. She has no feeling in her back legs and finds it hard to balance herself when she is stationary but she still keeps plodding on and is an inspiration to everyone who knows her.

Here she is with her family - daughter, grand-daughter and great-grand-daughter taken just 6 months ago

post-40354-0-50281100-1426035800_thumb.jpg

I was training my 9yr old Labrador this morning for a trial we have on the weekend and during the sit stay the thought of "he is looking old" came across my mind. He still loves to work and even though he doesn't work for as long as he used to, he still loves it and has a few years left in him. He is starting to get that old dog look though, greying face, the body starts to change. Did make me wonder if anyone is going to comment on the weekend. I have pulled him out of retirement for this trial :laugh:

My old Stafford is 13 1/2, deaf, nearly blind & very arthritic (on Meloxicam now), but still expects his morning walk come hell or high water.

It is impossible to get my whippets out the door without him as he plants himself right in front of it. So now the routine is that we all go out for his little slow amble & sniffing session, I bring him home & then take the younger ones for their more energetic walk.

He doesn't go far, but since we walk near the local school, his fan club is generally there to say hello & give him the obligatory pats. Occasionally somebody will comment on how old he looks & ask his age, but generally in a nice way.

Today he decided to go twice as far as usual. His call. Yes, something special about the oldies.

I keep a close eye on Benny to make sure he's still fine. Given he's out in front for most of our walks, I think he is, but we alternate long walks with short ones each day now to keep everyone comfortable. The time will come that he'll get a special walk with one of the others and we walk at his pace.

I've been known to pull my car over in peak hour traffic just to tell someone that I loved seeing their senior standard poodle out for his stroll. Moving slowly, but clearly happy and very loved.

I adore old dogs. My old man dog is getting on (he's at least 11 from what we can figure), and although it breaks my heart to see him gradually becoming worn down and broken, he is very special to me in a way the younger ones aren't.

I always make a fuss of old dogs when I'm out and about (if appropriate), usually telling their human what a lovely puppy they have, because all dogs are puppies :)

I loved having the Old Chook around. Baylee got most upset if she did not get to go for her walk when the young ones did. So I would take the younger two for their fast paced walks and then Baylee and I would do a cool down walk up to the shops and back.

She was even more boisterous if she did not get to do some obedience work when I was training Dee and Zeph. You could hear her barking from the sidelines as I was praising the younger dogs.

She was 11.5 years old when she passed away in November 2013, but even though she had arthritis and heart failure she was still going for walks, swimming and chasing bubbles. She would take a break to rest and have a graze during our walks, but she would never miss a chance to be out and about.

Watching Dee and Zeph in the bakyard.

IMGP4417_zpsaadae63a.jpg

Resting during one of our walks.

10092013293_zps5ed559b9.jpg

Resting out the front on the day that she passed away.

IMGP6197_zps541d3cd7.jpg

The weekend before she passed away, chasing bubbles with Dee and Zeph

IMGP6075_zps6a7ca1d5.jpg

IMGP6013_zpsbf1093d9.jpg

Her spirit and love of life was so very strong, but her body would not keep up. Miss you Gorgeous Girl.

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing older dogs getting out and enjoying a walk.

I've personally never experienced anyone commenting though as the cushings disease had Indy so weak that walks weren't an option for him and Kira just doesn't look her age (11) as her facial hair is white so it's impossible to tell if she is going grey so we still just get comments o now pretty she is.

I love my dog dearly and want him to have a good quality of life.

My question is : "how do people on this forum react to seeing an old dog?

Many thanks

Without fail, I get a dopey than usual smile on my face. I get the OK to speak to the Sugarface ( as I call older dogs), If it is OK, I always have a treat to share with the dog and ALWAYS have time for speaking to their owners. Most I met are thrilled someone takes a moment for their dog.

My own dogs all made over 12 years of age. My dear Tibor proudly made 15 years 2 months 3 weeks 4 days before going to the Rainbowbridge.

He was cherished and adored from the day I first saw him, and in turn gave us total LOVE and devotion.

I was so lucky with our Vet(s) that we all had an understanding of the expectations of what should happen when that 'time' loomed.

Tibor never had pain. Only that gradual slowing down. But his love was there until the last.

On his last weekend, he did this fab jig & dance to beat the ever so bold puppy to two pieces of dried liver. It was his act of being Boss.

If you are sure there is no pain, if you KNOW there is quality of life, then I always feel the dog should be treasured until the time comes.

:love:

Without fail, I get a dopey than usual smile on my face
me too, VM. I love to see the seniors out and about ... When it's appropriate, I usually speak to the owner about how well their senior citizen is doing .. having checked in advance that the dog is indeed a senior LOL.

grumpette, those pictures are just beautiful ... I love the one of Baylee lying in the grass looking thoughtfully off into the distance ... what a lovely looking girl she was. And oh yes - I do know the screaming tantrum of the older one (in my case, Kirra is just 13, and only just retired from competitive agility) when she wants to join in the training. :rofl: Of course she does get to join in, or at least get her turn.

The first time I left (tried) my old girl home to take the young 'un training, I bawled all the way up the road because of the crushed look on her face. I spun that car around, picked her up and didn't leave her behind again. Even if all we did was trot out on the field and did a short routine, she got out.

We recently worked out Dory to be about 8 or 9-ish...when did that happen??? She's starting to go grey around the eyes and cheeks and has a grey beard now. She's a bit grumpier than she was, less tolerant of dogs sniffing her butt (not that she was ever that tolerant anyway). And she loves her 'jarmies' when it starts getting a bit cool. So far she's still agile, doesn't really look 'that' old, so it's easy to forget and think she's still 5 or 6.

She's recently taken an interest in chasing balls...something she has never really done...and actually picking them up and carrying them around! Lot's of spoils happen then, it's great to see her still growing everyday.

I love seeing old dogs out and about (when they aren't in obvious pain of course)

I take my 12 year old on walks by himself as he can't go as far as the other two and he adores it, prances along having a wonderful time sniffing.

Only now though is he really starting to look old, going a bit grey in the face, still hears and sees well but is looking his age now.....though he never ever acts it!

My german shepherd is 12 and half year old.

His head is grey in parts and he can't hear anymore.

He is a cancer survivor, has stiff hind legs (degenerative myelopathy) but still walks.

He walks very slowly, in fact we stop and walk, stop and walk. He dictates the pace;

however he loves his walks, sniffing around and looking at other dogs.

Whenever wherever I walk with him he is the centre of attention due to his.... age.

I keep hearing: "what an old dog", parents point him to their children again due to his age.

This morning a man walking his dog said as if disgusted: "He is sooo old, is he all right?"

Sometimes (not often) I hear "What a beautiful oldie"

I almost feel like I am not supposed to walk such an "old dog" or perhaps he has no right to live anymore(?)

I love my dog dearly and want him to have a good quality of life.

My question is : "how do people on this forum react to seeing an old dog?

Many thanks

Go0d On You Man!

In our small town is only on proper German Shepherd with proper owner. The dog is about 8 years old and the owner is in his respectful ages. Every time i see them working along I stop my car and watch. Oh, boy, those two do step together with a great pride. And it is such a pleasure to watch.

My answer to your question. Seen a old dog outside with an owner means a lots!

Edited by Aleksandr