Crufts 2015 Dog Poisoning

Lhok

This is absolutely horrid. You would think that at a dog show dogs would be relatively safe.

AN Irish Setter has died after being poisoned at Crufts, his co-owner believes.

Three-year-old Thendara Satisfaction (Jagger), bred by Dee Milligan-Bott and co-owned by her and Alexandra Lauwers, collapsed after returning to Belgium the following day.

An post-mortem examination has revealed various poisons had been put in cubes of meat. A full toxicology report is awaited.

The police in Belgium are investigating and CCTV footage from the National Exhibition Centre is to be examined.

Jagger was one of several dogs bought to Crufts by Mrs Milligan-Bott and Ms Lauwers, and they were benched together, although it is understood the dogs changed places after one became agitated about being near a bitch in season. Jagger, who has one CC, was second in limit; Mrs Milligan-Bott’s Sh Ch Thendara Pot Noodle won best of breed.

Nothing appeared untoward until dogs and owners had returned to Mrs Milligan-Bott’s home on Friday.

"All the dogs were all running and playing together and Jagger seemed a bit tired, unable to keep up with the others,” she said. "Three or four hours later after getting back to Belgium he collapsed and by the time the vet arrived he was dead.

"The post-mortem showed that two or three different poisons were used and that it is likely it was administered on Thursday morning; we’re now waiting for exact toxicology reports. Whoever did this knew what they were doing, trying to get exactly the right type of poison with a slow release.

"They take this kind of thing far more seriously in Belgium and the police and RSPCA searched Alex’s house and took blood from all the other dogs."

Mrs Milligan-Bott believes another of her dogs was the more obvious target. She did not name the dog but it is likely she was referring to Pot Noodle.

"I’m not sure which bench Jagger would have been on when this happened, but he would have moved bench. We had three dogs one side and two the other. There was a bit of a muddle. But you become paranoid after a while."

Another unusual occurrence was that the BOB and CC cards had been taken from the benches.

"This may not have been connected, but it makes you wonder,” Mrs Milligan-Bott said. "And at Richmond last year someone let one of my dogs off its bench and he went missing, before being found on someone else’s bench.

"There would have been windows of opportunity for someone to feed Jagger something at Crufts. It’s been suggested that someone’s really got it in for us, and to not let it get to us. There do seem to be too many coincidences. You go to shows trying to win, and one of our dogs is on a roll at the moment, and our kennel had a good day at Crufts on Thursday. We’re very proud of our record and maybe some people aren’t happy.

"But there’s no excuse for this. Sometimes you can’t prove anything but you know in your gut what has happened and that something very untoward is going on.”

Now Mrs Milligan-Bott, who also has Afghan Hounds, feels she will be unable to continue showing.

"It’s turning into such a nasty sport,” she said. "This has devastated me - I lost another couple of dogs recently and it’s so difficult to get over, even when they’re oldies. I’ll let the dust settle but I don’t think I’ll feel differently.

"I went back to Crufts on Saturday but I was like a zombie - I just thought ‘I don’t want to do this any more’. You can’t go around being too scared to leave your dog if you need to go to the loo or something - you can’t live like that.

"I want to warn people about what happened, as I wouldn’t wish it on anybody."

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/132258/

--Lhok

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the incident of rat poison and shrapnel laced feed at Melbourne royal (in the horses) quite a few years ago.

I get competition can make ppl nasty, but taking it out on the animals when you're there for the love of the animals in the first place is incomprehensible to me.

How absolutely horrible.

Seems strange that only one dog was poisoned. If it was a crazy with something against Crufts, you'd think many dogs would have been done.

I hate to think it's just nasty competition. Will people stoop that low?

Reminds me of the incident of rat poison and shrapnel laced feed at Melbourne royal (in the horses) quite a few years ago.

I get competition can make ppl nasty, but taking it out on the animals when you're there for the love of the animals in the first place is incomprehensible to me.

Some are not there for the love of the animals but to WIN. At what price the ribbon? :mad

I lost interest in showing my dogs before the pup even came home from the breeders because I went to a few shows with a breeder to get a feel for showing. The bitching, snarking and criticism I heard from people who had seemingly forgotten the dogs were living beings put me off ever wanting to be involved in showing my dog/s.

I hope they find the person who poisoned that dog and that her/his name is revealed to those involved in showing their dogs.

1425858028[/url]' post='6660924']

Such a sick world we are turning into :(

Wonder was it a jealous showy / breeder or was it a radical anti dog show ,anti pure bred dog hater that poisoned the dog .

I had the same thoughts. It's happened before by some AR nutters hasn't it?

Who ever it was its disgusting. That poor dog and its owners :(

1425858028[/url]' post='6660924']

Such a sick world we are turning into :(

Wonder was it a jealous showy / breeder or was it a radical anti dog show ,anti pure bred dog hater that poisoned the dog .

I had the same thoughts. It's happened before by some AR nutters hasn't it?

Who ever it was its disgusting. That poor dog and its owners :(

http://blog.peta.org.uk/2015/03/activist-flies-the-flag-for-mutts-at-crufts-best-in-show/

That would be an avenue I would be looking heavily into, TBH.

How absolutely horrible.

Seems strange that only one dog was poisoned. If it was a crazy with something against Crufts, you'd think many dogs would have been done.

I hate to think it's just nasty competition. Will people stoop that low?

I believe there were more. One other dog died, two were saved is what I have read