Crufts 2015 Dog Poisoning

Lhok

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on TV last night :(

Just so very sad for all concerned. It is one of the most agonizingly painful ways to die. How anyone could intentionally inflict such a torturess death on such a beautiful dog is way beyond me....

My thoughts are with poor Jaggers owner's. Apparently Jagger & their 3 year old son were inseparable. Heartbreaking really.

Hope karma has it's way with the extremely sick individual who committed such sadistic cruelty.

:( Doesn't surprise me at all unfortunately. Competition makes people do nasty things.

I have no first hand experience, just from reading here and other places over the years. It sounds just awful.

Look at Pharlap

But fortunes rest on horse racing outcomes . . . and that was a long time ago.

Doesn't have to be fortunes - two words: Greyhound Racing.

I'm a little surprised that some people are so quick to assume it is another show person that has done this. Has anyone seen the amount of general public that trapse through the halls at Crufts? It could easily have been someone with a grudge against show dogs. In this case, I wouldn't be so quick to assume a show person. JMO

Seems like another dog has died. A Shih Tzu and another couple might have been poisoned. A Westie and an Afghan.

Makes me think it isn't a rival competitor and some random public nutjob.

--Lhok

I'm a little surprised that some people are so quick to assume it is another show person that has done this. Has anyone seen the amount of general public that trapse through the halls at Crufts? It could easily have been someone with a grudge against show dogs. In this case, I wouldn't be so quick to assume a show person. JMO

This was my first thought too, but then why just that one dog? surely they would have targeted more than just the one. :shrug:

Seems like another dog has died. A Shih Tzu and another couple might have been poisoned. A Westie and an Afghan.

Makes me think it isn't a rival competitor and some random public nutjob.

--Lhok

Missed your post Lhok embarrass.gif

Yes, makes me think the same.

From the Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/10/crufts-organisers-say-no-evidence-dogs-were-poisoned

Crufts organisers say no evidence dogs were poisoned

• Kennel Club insists allegations of mass poisoning are 'rumour and speculation'

• Says not yet 'any definitive proof 'as to the cause of death for Irish setter Jagger

7c7422b0-6a07-4ed8-bbdd-af6a935f195c-620x372.jpeg

Following the news about Jagger, other breeders have come forward to say their dogs fell ill at the show. Photograph: Darren Staples/Reuters Peter Walker

The organisers of Crufts have said there is no evidence to suggest several dogs were poisoned at this year's show, following reports that as many as six animals fell ill after appearing at the event.

The Kennel Club said allegations of mass poisoning were "rumour and speculation", and there was not yet any definitive proof as to the cause of death for Jagger, an Irish setter who died less than 48 hours after leaving Crufts.

Jagger's owners, Aleksandra Lauwers, Dee Milligan-Bott and Jeremy Bott , say they believe the three-year-old dog was fed cubes of poisoned meat during the show at Birmingham's NEC.

Crufts mystery: dog world asks whodunnit over death of Irish Setter

Bott said a vet who examined Jagger in Belgium after the dog died found cubes of meat containing what appeared to be slug killer and other industrial poisons. They said the death appeared to be "a random act" rather than a fellow competitor targeting them.

Following the news other breeders came forward to say their dogs had fallen ill at the show. Animals allegedly involved included a shetland sheepdog, a west highland white terrier, an Afghan hound and a shih tzu.

However, the secretary of the Kennel Club, Caroline Kisko, said that while the claims were deeply distressing, "we must make it absolutely clear that there is currently no evidence that any dog has been poisoned at Crufts".

She said: "The facts surrounding Jagger the Irish Setter's tragic death some 26 hours after leaving Crufts are still being established, and whilst there are suspicions about poisoning, the veterinary surgeon who carried out the postmortem has told the Kennel Club that she cannot comment on where, when and indeed if poisoning has taken place until the results of the toxicology report are available. The Kennel Club is talking to and supporting the owner at this difficult time.

Advertisement"Whilst reports surrounding the welfare of dogs at Crufts are taken with the utmost of seriousness a number of the reports in the news about dogs becoming sick after leaving the show have been from anonymous sources, who have not reported the allegations to us or the police, and we cannot look into claims about which we have no direct information. We urge these people and anybody else who may have similar concerns to come forward and report them to the Kennel Club."

Kisko added: "There have been reports about a few dogs who were unwell whilst at the show who were taken to one of the show vets and we can confirm that the vets at Crufts established no connection between sickness and poisoning.

"Whilst there is a great deal of rumour and speculation and currently no evidence of any poisoning taking place at Crufts we are very clear that anyone caught attempting to deliberately sabotage another competitor's performance, particularly if a dog's welfare is put at risk, will face severe disciplinary action, which could include a ban on competing at all Kennel Club licensed events. Furthermore anyone who puts a dog's welfare at risk could face prosecution under the Animal Welfare Act."

A spokeswoman for the club added that there were "any number of reasons why a dog may display symptoms such as sickness" at Crufts.

West Midlands police said that while it was working with the NEC and Crufts to preserve any possible evidence, it had not as yet received any complaints or been asked to investigate any suspected poisonings.

Edited by Boronia

Its really time for them to upgrade security at all major dog shows world wide. Even here in sleepy old Adelaide a dog was stolen.

Who knows what really happened, we will have to wait for more news but there seem to be more nutcases around now regarding animals than there ever was.

Its all quite disturbing.

More news

"There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog lovers who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible and it is highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger's death. "We have had confirmation, including from independent toxicologists, that the poisons identified in the toxicology report - carbofuran and aldicarb - are fast acting. Severe clinical symptoms would usually occur within half an hour to three hours. "Considering we are told that Jagger showed the first clinical signs usually associated with these two poisons shortly before his death in Belgium, late on Friday 6thMarch night, leading to the immediate call for veterinary attention, we must conclude that it is inconceivable that he could have been poisoned at Crufts on Thursday 5thMarch, some 28 to 36 hours earlier. "Furthermore, the poison is thought to have been given on a piece of beef that was still largely undigested when the autopsy was performed on Saturday 7thMarch morning, and food is usually absorbed in dogs within six hours. - See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/press-releases/2015/march/kennel-club-statement-about-jagger%27s-death/#sthash.k6Zdc2pI.dpuf'>http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/press-releases/2015/march/kennel-club-statement-about-jagger%27s-death/#sthash.k6Zdc2pI.dpuf

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/press-releases/2015/march/kennel-club-statement-about-jagger%27s-death/

Edited by Florise

Did anyone see the article and footage of a BC being beaten by its owner outside behind cars at crufts? :(

I hope someone on site saw this and took appropriate action. The action I would have taken had I seen it would not be seen to be appropriate.

What is dog showing coming to? People like this don't love dogs. They show their dogs only to boost their own pitiful lack of self esteem. I hope someone saw this person and that they will now face charges for animal cruelty.

Reminds me of the incident of rat poison and shrapnel laced feed at Melbourne royal (in the horses) quite a few years ago.

I get competition can make ppl nasty, but taking it out on the animals when you're there for the love of the animals in the first place is incomprehensible to me.

Some are not there for the love of the animals but to WIN. At what price the ribbon? :mad

I lost interest in showing my dogs before the pup even came home from the breeders because I went to a few shows with a breeder to get a feel for showing. The bitching, snarking and criticism I heard from people who had seemingly forgotten the dogs were living beings put me off ever wanting to be involved in showing my dog/s.

I hope they find the person who poisoned that dog and that her/his name is revealed to those involved in showing their dogs.

Agreed so sad. It is obviously all for their own ego boost rather than a love for a breed or even just dogs in general. No one who would call themselves an animal lover could ever be so cruel :(

Edited by german_shep_fan

Reminds me of the incident of rat poison and shrapnel laced feed at Melbourne royal (in the horses) quite a few years ago.

I get competition can make ppl nasty, but taking it out on the animals when you're there for the love of the animals in the first place is incomprehensible to me.

Some are not there for the love of the animals but to WIN. At what price the ribbon? :mad

I lost interest in showing my dogs before the pup even came home from the breeders because I went to a few shows with a breeder to get a feel for showing. The bitching, snarking and criticism I heard from people who had seemingly forgotten the dogs were living beings put me off ever wanting to be involved in showing my dog/s.

I hope they find the person who poisoned that dog and that her/his name is revealed to those involved in showing their dogs.

Agreed so sad. It is obviously all for their own ego boost rather than a love for a breed or even just dogs in general. No one who would call themselves an animal lover could ever be so cruel :(

And yet, so many people who show dogs DO love the breed, do behave appropriately and are animal lovers. And without them, most breeds wouldn't be around any more. Who do you think run most breed rescues?? Who is out there all day at the Pet Expos, Breed days etc??

Frankly I am utterly tired of these kinds of generalisations. If you want to know why so many experienced breed people are no longer here, on a forum based on a site promoted to purebred dogs, look no further. The sniping is wearing in the extreme.. at their hobby, at the fact that they breed dogs, at any advice that isn't glowing and supportive... expecially of people who rushed into dog ownership with no idea what they were buying, bought from BYBs and suddenly find themselves having issues.

If you are looking for the negativity in any hobby, you can find it. Ifyou are a negative person, you will be drawn to it. However the experience of many people who enjoy that hobby is just as valid.

The fact that a lot of the criticism comes from people who have never set foot in the ring or who were there for less than a heartbeat is telling to me. They have limited or no real experience in the fancy.

The fact that people abuse their pets doesn't make every pet owner a scumbag does it?

The dog wasn't poisoned at Crufts. It wasn't done by another exhibitor as far as anyone can tell. However inconvienient that may be for people who want to write off those who show their dogs, those are the facts. I won't hold my breath for an apology from those who were so quick to put the boot into exhibitors.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My comment was not a generalisation, I spoke only of my own experience. Like it or not, that is what happened.

Here's a generalisation for you. The statement I made was " Some are not there for the love of the animals but to WIN. At what price the ribbon"? Note: I did not say all.

Who do I think runs breed rescue? I could not find a breeder to assist when I was rescuing a particular breed of dog. Fellow pet owners were the ones to put their hand up to help when a dog urgently needed rescue or it would be euthanized.

Of course most show people are dog lovers, so are most pet owners who choose have dogs. I'm a dog owner but I don't claim to be an all encompassing animal lover. There are animals I would not choose to own under any circumstances.

Sure some breeders are no longer on DOL. Even more pet owners have chosen to leave or discontinue posting. That happens on forums. Sniping at breeders is not to blame for a breeder exodus as it rarely happens on here and if someone comes along slamming a breeder they are very quickly shown the error of their ways, mainly by we pet owners whose dogs are from ethical breeders and if that fails Troy steps in.

Anyone who abuses their pet is a scumbag and that includes the person, presumably a show person, who was beating up on their dog in the car park following a show at Crufts.

I think the jury is still out on precisely who poisoned the dogs. We don't know if it was a fellow exhibitor or some mentally challenged oddball. I believe more than one dog was poisoned.

People are entitled to their opinion and they have voiced it here. Not every breeder or exhibitor at shows is above criticism. No apology is warranted for holding an opinion.

edited: Hit enter in the middle of my post.

Edited by cavNrott