Mystery Illness

So last thursday my 3 yr old Samoyed, Wolf vomited up his breakfast. For the rest of the day he continued to vomit on and off, eventually it stopped in the evening and he could drink water again without bringing it back up but refused to eat.

We took him into the vet on friday and had x-rays and full blood work done and aside from a very slightly raised white blood cell count and a couple of very small bone fragments (chicken wings from the day before) in his small intestine there was nothing else to indicate a problem, no fever or areas of pain.

The vet kept him for the day, started a course of antibiotics and gave him some pain relief and in the afternoon the nurses were able to get him to eat without vomiting so we brought him home.

That night he had a small dinner of cooked chicken breast and seemed fine, quieter than usual but still bright and happy. He continued eating small, bland meals over Saturday and continued his antibiotics, toileting and drinking normally.

On Sunday he refused to eat at all but continued to drink and toilet normally. He slept for a good deal of the day.

This morning I was able to get him to eat a small handful of cat biscuits and roast chicken (the only things he didn't turn his nose up at) but has been quiet for most of the day, still drinking and toileting normally and hasn't vomited at all since thursday.

We have no clue what is going on with this boy and our vet is stumped. The best we can come up with is a partial blockage but having dealt with many issues like this with our first Samoyed even that seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Does any one have any ideas what this might be? I'm currently waiting to hear back from our vet to see what he wants to do next.

Thanks

Edited by Bjelkier

I would also think blockage ...did he have barium, or whatever it is that is used these days ..or just an xray ?

some things do not show on Xrays - plastic/some leaves..stuff like that .

What a worry . I hope he's fixed soon , poor boy.

So last thursday my 3 yr old Samoyed, Wolf vomited up his breakfast. For the rest of the day he continued to vomit on and off, eventually it stopped in the evening and he could drink water again without bringing it back up but refused to eat.

We took him into the vet on friday and had x-rays and full blood work done and aside from a very slightly raised white blood cell count and a couple of very small bone fragments (chicken wings from the day before) in his small intestine there was nothing else to indicate a problem, no fever or areas of pain.

The vet kept him for the day, started a course of antibiotics and gave him some pain relief and in the afternoon the nurses were able to get him to eat without vomiting so we brought him home.

That night he had a small dinner of cooked chicken breast and seemed fine, quieter than usual but still bright and happy. He continued eating small, bland meals over Saturday and continued his antibiotics, toileting and drinking normally.

On Sunday he refused to eat at all but continued to drink and toilet normally. He slept for a good deal of the day.

This morning I was able to get him to eat a small handful of cat biscuits and roast chicken (the only things he didn't turn his nose up at) but has been quiet for most of the day, still drinking and toileting normally and hasn't vomited at all since thursday.

We have no clue what is going on with this boy and our vet is stumped. The best we can come up with is a partial blockage but having dealt with many issues like this with our first Samoyed even that seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Does any one have any ideas what this might be? I'm currently waiting to hear back from our vet to see what he wants to do next.

Thanks

Hi, has he pooed?? if he has its not a blockage, did he have a Blood Test for Pancreatitis?? a AcpL test is the best & sent away not a in house testing sometimes the in house blood test come back negative when they have Pancreatitis, start feeding low low fat meats like Turkey Breast mince 99% fat free sold at Woolworths meat section, Chicken is high in fat especially baked or BBQ chicken, if you must feed chicken buy chicken breast cut in half then half again & boil just till it starts to bubble up, then remove all the fat & white froth & just stand & removed cooked pieces of chicken cut in half & see if middle is cooked, boil the jug & rinse chicken breast pieces with boiling water, then section into meals & freeze what's not needed, add about 1 spoon boiled pumkin put in a blender & blend then add the pumkin...see how he does on boiled chicken breast or the 99% fat free turkey breast mince, I buy 2x500g packets=1 kilo, I add 1 egg mix all together then make little small balls turkey rissoles put on a baking tray & bake for about 15min or until cooked, they taste beautiful dogs love them & put about 6 little turkey rissoles balls in the blender & add pumkin or boiled sweet potatoes you can also freeze the little bit size turkey rissole & take out of freezer what you need they thaw in about 15mins they are excellent as treats & when they wont eat....sounds like Pancreatitis my boy had the same thing & the blood test came back all good, Ive been keeping him on a low fat diet low fat kibble 10% fat no higher..see how he does on a lower fat diet, he'll need to eat a bit more but he wont get sick again, I hope....also raw meats are higher in fat, when meats are cooked & boiled you boil out the fat..

What was he eating before all this started? My two dogs of different breeds, recently had mystery vomiting illness for 3 days each with the second one starting on the day third day the first dog was ill. I suspect a bad batch of dog food as I had just opened new bags of Blackhawk and Sunday Pets. Both threw up everything for a day and a half then managed to keep down very small bland meals but threw up any dry food. After 3 days each was back to normal without dry food and I still haven't tried them back on either batch of dry food. They are fine though with some A La Carte I had here. Neither seemed really ill, they drank, peed and pooed normally but just could not keep food down.

Sorry for the late update.

After more tests we found that Wolf had a partial obstruction that was extremely difficult to see and with his symptoms, or lack there off, we were all very confused. Turns out it was a silicone cupcake pan. He and his sister had eaten a batch of muffins I had cooling on the stove over a year ago, silicone pans and all and I made them vomit them back up straight away and thought we had them all, turns out we didn't. :mad

Over a year later we see the return of the pink cupcake pan and it's none the worse for wear, can't say the same for poor Wolf. Thankfully he is tough and all internal organs are pink and healthy (amazing after the time period) and he is now on the road to recovery and eating like a horse. :D

Wolf is one tough dog! When my vet called and told me what he found I think I almost deafened the poor man, neither of us could believe the time frame. He'd had no signs of a problem in all that time and after my first Sammy I've had more than my fair share of problems with blockages.

He's a bit of a medical mystery :laugh:

Amazing aren't they. I had Em at my vet for hip/elbow scoring a few months back and asked them to have a look in her ear as it just "didn't smell quite right." Turns out there was a HUGE grass seed and infection and her ear drum was close to perforating! No unusual scratching or head shaking.

:eek: about Wolf, Bjelkier - but so glad that you were persistent, and that it's all ended well.

TSD .. one of the things I teach my puppy class people when we're practising grooming care and checking for ticks, seeds etc. is to sniff the puppies' ears so they know what normal ears smell like - and then their vet will be amazed when they are able to say - the ear smells a bit different,.... could you check it out please. :laugh: