Itchy Spot

For the last 2 weeks nala has been scratching the spot where her tail meets her back. She will go under a chair and rock back and forth all day pretty much. I cant get her to stop. She doesn't have fleas and I haven't changed their food or shampoo... any suggestions? The sounds she makes are horrible and I feel so bad for her.

Thanks

I'd like a dollar for every time I have found fleas, or evidence of fleas, on dogs that come in with a " oh he doesn't have fleas! ". Also, a dog that is truly allergic to fleas can itch incessantly from ONE flea bite for up to 3 weeks. You may never even see the culprit. It sounds like classic flea itch so don't discount that and remain vigilant for fleas, or signs of 'flea dirt' which is flea faeces in the form of tiny black crumbs in the coat. If you think you have found flea dirt, put it on a wet tissue and see if it runs red, which will confirm it is flea dirt/poop.

Is she actually on flea prevention? If not do it as you need to be 100% to rule it out. The other reason I've seen distress in that spot is from anal glands. If she is that distressed she sounds like a visit to the vet would help as they can give her something to relieve the itch.