Coat Type Crossing In Dachshunds?

Cougar

So for various reasons I've been researching dachsies as a future pet. A few of the breeders I've looked at in the US are breeding long coats to short coats and I wondered if that was the done thing, as my limited research here in Aus suggests that the coat types are kept a bit more separate?

So it's just a curiosity thing I suppose as it's a breed and country that I have no contacts in! And not having any contacts makes me nervier about finding an ethical breeder, when the time comes. So any thoughts and discussion would be appreciated :)

Although I can't comment on whether Aus breeders are doing it, I can tell you that the breeders in the U.S do it to get a much softer smooth coat or a thinner long coat in the puppies. I'm living in California right now with a 14 year old female, red, smooth, mini Doxie with the softest coat I've ever felt (she was from a long coat x short coat breeding). I'll be getting another puppy in the next few weeks from a similar breeding :)

My sister recently purchased a pup from a breeder whom had done the same thing, crossed a long with a short. They were told the coat won't be as long as a long coat and the coat as a pup was soft with longish hair. Will be interesting to see how it grows.

Umm... I'm gonna wander in here to ask a Dachshund question....

There is a dog getting about around my area who looks like a long haired piebald dachshund. Is this a thing? It's a beautiful dog, but I have no idea if it's a cross or a real colour/coat? :o

There are dapples, to me they are mottled like a merle, not so much piebald.

This dog, look (to me) like a papillon dog colour (white with big black blotches) but on the body of a dachy. The papillon bit is probably because I think of that breed and it makes me think that this dog looks similaar because of it's feathering.

This dog looks like a long coated piebald dachshund. It's probably a pug cross afghan.... :o

So for various reasons I've been researching dachsies as a future pet. A few of the breeders I've looked at in the US are breeding long coats to short coats and I wondered if that was the done thing, as my limited research here in Aus suggests that the coat types are kept a bit more separate?

So it's just a curiosity thing I suppose as it's a breed and country that I have no contacts in! And not having any contacts makes me nervier about finding an ethical breeder, when the time comes. So any thoughts and discussion would be appreciated :)

You are talking about a cross breed here, they are two different breeds as far as purebred ANKC registered dogs go....................if breeders are breeding for coat alone, what do you know of the background and the health status of the forebears? Ethical?????

The ANKC regs here (9.9) prohibit inter variety breeding of Dachshunds. That means no breeding of two different sizes or coat types.

Sadly these dogs are currently one of the profit breeders' chosen breeds and there are a lot of non ANKC breeders churning them out. They don't give a toss about regulations or indeed anything but $$$$

"Rare" colours are as popular with such breeders as ever and they are quite prepared to crossbreed to get them. White or brindle "Pug" or black and tan "French Bulldog" anyone? :mad:

If you want a Dachsie of any variety, do your homework and go through a breed club. If you need a contact, PM me and I'll hook you up with a decent Vic breeder. I know a couple.

Any piebald "Dachshund" you saw could be a crossbred or would be considered an unacceptable colour. Dapple breeding throws up the same potential health breeding as merle to merle breeding and my guess is this is why white was and is considered unacceptable.

If you want something a little unusual in a Dachsie consider a Wire Hair! Not very common and certainly deserve to be more popular.

wire-haired.jpg

Edited by Haredown Whippets

That's pretty much what I was wondering Haredown, I thought it might be a sign of an unethical breeder type. Thanks for the ANKC regs link, i'll have a look later on.

If we were staying here in Aus, then I'd be ok with sussing out breeders, it's just that we might be moving to the US so was just starting some preliminary research. Also researching to see if we really want one, they're very different to all the other breeds we've had so far.

I'd love a wire coat but also like the black and tan smooth coats, it's a tough one! The wires are supposed to be quite fun, or so I've heard :)

It's nice to hear good things about them too :) we normally have big dogs, rottis, a dane and a greyhound so it's quite a departure in dog type for us. So I'll be doing a lot of research first to make sure we'll all be cool. I do love the look of the wires, a beardy eyebrowed face is awesome! I've heard they're the clowns of the coat types, so that is also appealing :)

Remember that the smooth coats will need just a bath and nail trim, the longs will need a bath, good brush/ comb, and a trim of the feet and tidy up any straggly hairs, and nail trim, but the wire coats dontbjust grow in that pattern....they need to be hand stripped, preferably, to maintain the pattern, as well as coat colour and texture. The coat can be clipped into pattern but over time will soften and lighten from the clipping. I groom a mini wire who is now 15 yrs old and still looks pretty sharp, although clippered now for ease of grooming. Your breeder should be able to guide you on the grooming requirements forthe type you choose, just be aware that the wire needs a bit more than the others.

Dachshunds have a reputation for longevity. I have known a couple of mini long make it to 17, and the 15 yo mini wire I groom is going strong for his age, and have heard of many other oldies!