Saluki(S?) And Foxhounds

I'm planning on heading to the Show a couple of days this year to talk to breeders as I'm planning my third puppy sometime in the future. Just wondering if any DOLers are planning on going and we could catch up. :)

Edit: not sure if Salukis is the correct pluralisation :o

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Oh, yeah I mean the Sydney Royal. I've always just called it the Easter Show like most others :laugh:

I really can't wait because I've been promising myself for years that I'll eventually go to see the Aussie Terriers on parade but have never made it. Not this year though!!

I went to the show once to see a breed that is fairly rare. I found it hard to find a competitor available to tell me if the breed was present that day. Some competitors I approached in the small dog section just stared at me and then turned away. I was a bit surprised but i did ask again and a more helpful person told me the dogs of that breed had not shown up. Bummer.

I compete at Erskine park a bit and have had some lovely chats with people there while I go for a meal. So just wondering if the royal is a great place to go to talk to breeders? By all means go to enjoy the dogs on show but I think some others shows would give u a better chance to talk to breeders. Specially if u go to a breed specific show. One day before I decide on my next agility dog I must go to a poodle speciality show.

I find it hard to decide what breed I would like to see more at the royal. Decisions, decisions.

However Salukis are a beautiful dog and would love one. Maybe not as my next agility dog. Shame we can't have all our fave breeds.sigh!

As an exhibitor the royal is pretty frikkig intense.

We do chat to the public pretty much constantly but it's so loud and busy that any real conversation can be difficult. I don't know that I would recommend it as the show to really get to know a breeder personally. I can only speak for myself and those I know but we're either flat out grooming, making sure the dogs are cool and comfortable or fielding a myriad of questions (whuch are the same all day long) and getting the dogs to pose for photos. I barely have time for lunch and I never remember anyone I speak to on the day.

Certainly go along, watch the dogs, get business cards but if you really want to start building a relationship with a breeder I'd be more inclined to find out if they will be attending one of the specalties held around the same time and chat to them there.

Others may well be different but this is how it is for me.

The royal is brilliant so I hope you have a great time.

I have found that the best shows to approach breeders at are the breed specific ones. They are smaller shows. Seems everyone is a little more relaxed. I usually try & approach breeders when they don't seem quite as busy. Lunch time perhaps. I always do my homework first. I know the bloodlines I'm after so that narrows down whom I need to speak with. Not wasting folks time then.

Oh of course. I couldn't imagine really wanting to pester anyone on show day -- mostly I'm there to look. I've never really been to a show before so was planning on watching the judging and walking around the set-up/stalls area.

Sydney always is a major stress event just due to its sheer size. Most of the time is avoid going just because of the crowds :laugh:

I'm planning on heading to the Show a couple of days this year to talk to breeders as I'm planning my third puppy sometime in the future. Just wondering if any DOLers are planning on going and we could catch up. :)

For Salukis the day you need to go is April 1st. There are 3 Saluki events on that day but as Bjelkier says, it is going to be seriously intense so exhibitors probably won't be able to sit and have a good chat. We have the Royal judging, a Speciality Show and an Exhibition Match all on that one day. What I would do is head over to the Easter Show on the Wednesday and sit in the stands and watch - you will get to see a UK judge, a US judge and a gentleman from the UAE judge the Salukis. Then on the following Saturday at Castle Hill Showgrounds there is another Saluki Speciality and a Sighthound Show. That will be a lot more relaxed and quiet, and there will be more opportunity to chat to breeders (including me). So I'd go to that show armed with questions. I will be there with Salukis and my partner's cream Afghan and our IW (should be easy enough to spot - LOL!)

It's silgh, not Saluki, and silgaan for plural. As it's called in native home middle east and north Africa

It's silgh, not Saluki, and silgaan for plural. As it's called in native home middle east and north Africa

What's your source for that?