Help With Breed Decision

Ashling

I'm looking at possible breeds for a second dog who can match play time with a Labrador but who is smaller than a Lab. Play is bitey faces and chasies.

Does anyone have advice on these breeds with a large dog?

English Cocker Spaniel

Lagotto Romagnolo

West Highland White Terrier

Australian Shepherd (do they like this style of play?)

Also love Havanese and Bichon Frise but would imagine they are just too small in this case?

Are there any other breeds that might be suitable?

I am kind of set on a second Lab or a Golden but just would really like a smaller breed. Might also end up rescuing but wanted to hear views on pure breeds.

My Lab can be sensitive but very playful so preferably match this too. I am thinking terriers might be able to hold their own but might be a bit too much for his sensitivity?

My Pembroke Corgi boy seeks out Labradors to play with; they have a really compatible playing style and he loves bigger dogs. Pembrokes are playful, smart, loving and energetic but also happy to laze about. They shed but having a Lab you're probably used to having hair everywhere.

I have a Havanese and a Labrador (and 5 Samoyeds) and my Hav is fine with all of them, he plays chase, bitey face and everything. Havanese are tough little buggers :laugh:

If you want one I'd say go for it.

BeFunky_IMG_5546jpg_zps242a352f.jpg

Edited by Bjelkier

Really? That is so cool. I really, really want a Havanese but don't want my big Lab to accidentally hurt the little one and I also really want a dog who can play lots with my Lab. Great pic :)

If you are keen on a second Lab but want something smaller, why don't you look for a smaller female Lab and I mean smaller than the norm. At one of the dog parks we go, there are a couple of small female labs that play with my boys and they are just adorably cute, particularly the little black girl who I have fallen in love with and I would take in an instant if her family ever decided they didn't want her. She is a little pocket rocket and obsessed with playing fetch and my boys just love her and the other little choccy girl. Both my Lab boys are actually really good with the little ones as my youngest (5) has been going to dog parks since he was approx 6monts old so has played a lot with the littlies and my other boy who I adopted had a younger little breed brother.

My Pembroke Corgi boy seeks out Labradors to play with; they have a really compatible playing style and he loves bigger dogs. Pembrokes are playful, smart, loving and energetic but also happy to laze about.

That sounds very cute and would be lovely to see. :thumbsup: Have a real soft spot for the Corgis as my mum adopted one years ago and she was just the most beautiful dog and we all adored her.

Cool, adopting a smaller Lab is a high possibility. I guess unless parents are both smaller it would be hard to know you are getting a smaller Lab as a puppy.

I like so many breeds… very hard decisions.

My Aussie Shepherd loves wrestley, bitey face type play, as well as chasing but the chase will generally end in a shoulder barge if she has her way :laugh: She holds her own well with dogs bigger than her but adjusts her style to play much more gently/carefully with my Sheltie (he is 7kg vs her 20kg). They still play "rough" but she is much more careful where she puts her feet and lands etc with him.

She doesn't really play with my 6kg poodle x malt although she likes to chase and pounce on him (he doesn't love it tho)