Help! Border Kennel Issue

02Dogs

I don't know the kennel, perhaps they do. But I would be concerned they think they are not equiped to handle DA dogs and so exclude potentially DA breeds ?

I would need more reassurance.

If their policies concern you, find a place where they'll happily toss the bull breeds in with the SWFs :shrug:

I think it was quite clear that mixing of dogs is something I want to avoid. If a kennel can't keep a DA bull breed away from my dog then they can't keep a DA dog of any breed away from my dog.

A kennel not accepting specific breeds would not make me more likely to leave my dog there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know the kennel, perhaps they do. But I would be concerned they think they are not equiped to handle DA dogs and so exclude potentially DA breeds ?

If their policies concern you, find a place where they'll happily toss the bull breeds in with the SWFs :shrug:

I hardly think that accepting bull breeds as boarders automatically equates to running them loose with small dogs.

I think it was quite clear that mixing of dogs is something I want to avoid. If a kennel can't keep a DA bull breed away from my dog then they can't keep a DA dog of any breed away from my dog.

A kennel not accepting specific breeds would not make me more likely to leave my dog there.

Exactly.

I don't know why you find this concept so hard to grasp :confused:

To quote Maddy...

The kennel is obviously concerned with managing risk by entirely excluding certain breeds that are known to be prone to DA. Recognising that some breeds are higher risk does not mean they assume all other dogs are zero risk. If anything, the fact that they are aware that certain breeds are higher risk suggests to me that dog aggression and its management is something they're experienced in...end quote.

One of my own greyhounds is fear aggressive, 100 times worse since she was attacked by one of the excluded breeds at this kennel, and because of her fear aggression this kennel will not take her during peak or busy times. It was explained to me that although it's impossible for her to escape her run she will disrupt and in some cases scare other boarders, not to mention she may hurt herself*. Something they are not willing to do and I fully understand and accept that.I personally think this is great management, yes my girl is excluded from this facility at peak times but I'm not offended by it nor do I think it's because they have no idea what they're doing, quite the contrary. Safety and comfort of all boarders is their top priority :shrug:

* greyhounds have very thin skin that tears easily often requiring stitches.

Edited by HazyWal

I don't know why you find this concept so hard to grasp :confused:

To quote Maddy...

The kennel is obviously concerned with managing risk by entirely excluding certain breeds that are known to be prone to DA. Recognising that some breeds are higher risk does not mean they assume all other dogs are zero risk. If anything, the fact that they are aware that certain breeds are higher risk suggests to me that dog aggression and its management is something they're experienced in...end quote.

One of my own greyhounds is fear aggressive, 100 times worse since she was attacked by one of the excluded breeds at this kennel, and because of her fear aggression this kennel will not take her during peak or busy times. It was explained to me that although it's impossible for her to escape her run she will disrupt and in some cases scare other boarders, not to mention she may hurt herself*. Something they are not willing to do and I fully understand and accept that.I personally think this is great management, yes my girl is excluded from this facility at peak times but I'm not offended by it nor do I think it's because they have no idea what they're doing, quite the contrary. Safety and comfort of all boarders is their top priority :shrug:

* greyhounds have very thin skin that tears easily often requiring stitches.

Who knows, it seems pretty simple to me :shrug:

If people don't want to board their dogs in kennels with those policies, they don't have to. Personally, I'd prefer a kennel that excluded the higher risk breeds because (here comes the shocker..) owners aren't always going to be honest about their dog's behaviour and a bull breed is more likely to do damage to my greyhound than a westie.

If you (GerogeB, etc) disagree, that's fine. You're not using that boarding kennel anyway so it doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form?

I do understand the concept. I do understand your reasons. I am simply stating the reasons it would not make me more likely to use these kennels over ones that accept all breeds. I would need more information about the kennel. You have more information on the kennels you use so it is a non-issue.

It is in the title, 02dogs names it in the other thread as well and it is the kennel they said they were going to visit when they were looking for a sitter who could keep their dogs apart back in January but then decided to go for a kennel. confused.gif

The title was actually a typo, unfortunately my spelling goes out the window when I'm stressed!

I finally have home internet so I've attached a pic of the yard gate my dog 'rammed' open and a couple of injuries. It is black and white so the injuries aren't too graphic. Unfortunately, we weren't given the rest of her antibiotics :-(

post-53010-0-01935100-1427279115_thumb.jpg

Also important to remember that when working with animals, sometimes shit happens.... that is life... No kennel would purposely put dogs together that are an issue, however if the kennel is a big kennel there could be many different staff and perhaps one of the workers was not so careful, because after all, the dogs are from the same family and hence us kennel operators would not expect them to be such a problem.

As you say you inspected the kennel and gave instructions (in writing?) in which case it would seem fair that the kennel should either - refund you the cost of boarding the dogs or refund you the cost of the vet bill.

I don't believe it was on purpose, but I don't buy the "shit happens" excuse when it leads to my animals being badly injured, especially when it was preventable. If there were different workers coming in they could of simply put a note on the front of the kennel (I checked there were no notes)

I noted yes to dog aggression on their form and had several very LONG conversations about the importance in keep them apart. I explained their history, injuries AND that I was working with a trainer. I also said "They will try to KILL EACH OTHER if they are put together" numerous times. I was very straight forward and I was assured the kennel would keep them separate and they were experienced with sibling fighting. If only :-(

If the roles were reserved I would of refunded the boarding, vet bill and apologised but I won't be holding my breath.

One thing is for sure, I'll never be putting them in the same facility again.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to attach the pic o_O

Edited by 02Dogs

One thing we should remember is we only have one side to the story... hence I would be very careful about naming the kennel online.

Also important to remember that when working with animals, sometimes shit happens.... that is life... No kennel would purposely put dogs together that are an issue, however if the kennel is a big kennel there could be many different staff and perhaps one of the workers was not so careful, because after all, the dogs are from the same family and hence us kennel operators would not expect them to be such a problem.

As you say you inspected the kennel and gave instructions (in writing?) in which case it would seem fair that the kennel should either - refund you the cost of boarding the dogs or refund you the cost of the vet bill.

Personally as a kennel owner... if a client came with two dogs and gave instructions that the dog is not to even be in visual of each other.... I would not take that client on... I am a small kennel and if the dogs that live together are that much of an issue I don't need that headache.

Re your last para: you are obviously a responsible kennel owner who recognises your limitations for the good of your business and your clients and that is an excellent way to operate.

From all the stories posted here over the years, there are some that don't understand that and, as well, any industry has its good and bad players.

Yes this. Alpha bet, I think it's much more professional to do as you do and say up front that is not something we deal with than to say yes we will do that then not do it.

Having said that, I certainly know that when dealing with both animals and humans sh*t happens and things go wrong. However I get the impression from this situation that the kennel should have taken some financial responsibility for what happened here.

The only time I've boarded two of my dogs together I specifically wanted them to be housed and run together for the comfort to each other, and correct me if I'm wrong kennel owners but suspect I'm not alone in that, so if an owner specified they wanted their dogs kept separately I think I would take it seriously and would do everything I could to make sure they were kept separate.

Yes kennel owners take such things seriously. It would also be nice if owners told you that sometimes their dogs have "small" spats over things at home so that when they say yes to them being together in a boarding situation you are a little more prepared for the potential warfare and fall out.

I hardly think that accepting bull breeds as boarders automatically equates to running them loose with small dogs.

Exactly.

Interestingly just a day after reading the original post I had a person ask to board their three dogs with a two are to be together and the other must be away from each other as they hate each other and have tried to kill each other in the past. The first time this has happened to be honest. With this thread firmly in mind I made a note and asked that the owner make sure she tells us again on drop off.. All cages have cage cards attached with anything that needs to be noted highlighted in pink.

Yes shit does sometimes happen, exactly what happened in the OP post I don't know I wasn't there. I know as a kennel owner all the dogs in my care I treat as my own and I would be extremely upset if a dog was injured in any way, never mind a significant way whilst in my care.

Not all kennel owners are numpty idiots and a vast majority care very much about they dogs they care for.

I hope your dog is okay and heals quickly. I know you were working towards trying to get them together again with a trainer but I would imagine even without this incident that would have been extremely doubtful.

I board all breeds, that does not mean I am any less concerned with the safety of any of my dogs I care for, their safety is the most important part of what I do and why I built the kennels I did.

Do some make me work hard or do my head in? Yes some do, but the vast majority are fantastic little creatures and keep me well entertained. I have issues with certain dogs, some more than others but the dog I have in at the moment that would launch at me to bite, would not be exempt from boarding under anyones breeds not allowed rules (interestingly she now is behaving very well and is very handlable). So judge me as you like as yes I do accept Pitbulls and all bull breeds, unhandlable Dingos and bitey other breeds.

Edited by OSoSwift

I finally have home internet so I've attached a pic of the yard gate my dog 'rammed' open and a couple of injuries. It is black and white so the injuries aren't too graphic. Unfortunately, we weren't given the rest of her antibiotics :-(

post-53010-0-01935100-1427279115_thumb.jpg

I don't believe it was on purpose, but I don't buy the "shit happens" excuse when it leads to my animals being badly injured, especially when it was preventable. If there were different workers coming in they could of simply put a note on the front of the kennel (I checked there were no notes)

I noted yes to dog aggression on their form and had several very LONG conversations about the importance in keep them apart. I explained their history, injuries AND that I was working with a trainer. I also said "They will try to KILL EACH OTHER if they are put together" numerous times. I was very straight forward and I was assured the kennel would keep them separate and they were experienced with sibling fighting. If only :-(

If the roles were reserved I would of refunded the boarding, vet bill and apologised but I won't be holding my breath.

The antibiotics are yours and she requires them so make sure they give them to you.

The wounds are not very easy to see but it looks like four sutures in one and maybe one or two in the other? If so I am glad, it could have been much worse and they obviously got them apart very quickly.

Edited by OSoSwift

. . .

. . .

I would be making preliminary inquiries to a lawyer. I'd say the chances are very high that they have insurance that will cover the incident and they don't want strikes against their insurance record. A well-written threatening letter from a lawyer might convince them that they have called it wrong. You probably don't want to go to court, as those suckers will bleed everyone dry. It's really obnoxious that they didn't give you the rest of the antibiotics after charging you the vet bill. I suspect a lawyer could use this in building a case.

p.s. I formerly ran a boarding kennel in WA. Sh#t does happen. But you have a moral, if not a legal, obligation to pick up after the messes you create. In my kennel days there was a little kennel owners' association that hired a lawyer to write boarding contracts that basically said: "we take no responsibility . . . you pay for anything that goes wrong". We had good insurance, and were able to get claims covered on the couple occasions when untoward events happened.

I hope your dog is okay and heals quickly. I know you were working towards trying to get them together again with a trainer but I would imagine even without this incident that would have been extremely doubtful.

I board all breeds, that does not mean I am any less concerned with the safety of any of my dogs I care for, their safety is the most important part of what I do and why I built the kennels I did.

Thank you, she is getting better.

Before we left them we had got them to a stage where they had stopped reacting if they saw each other but that's gone again. I know their relationship will never be like it was and we are hoping we can get to the stage of having them calmly muzzled near each other. The dream is to get to a stage were if there is an accident and they're near each other neither reacts. I have everything crossed, re-homing would be heart breaking :'-(

We were super lucky with the first kennel we ever use because they were BRILLIANT but we moved and haven't found any nearly as good. Maybe we will get lucky and they will relocate near us one day!

I would be making preliminary inquiries to a lawyer. I'd say the chances are very high that they have insurance that will cover the incident and they don't want strikes against their insurance record. A well-written threatening letter from a lawyer might convince them that they have called it wrong. You probably don't want to go to court, as those suckers will bleed everyone dry. It's really obnoxious that they didn't give you the rest of the antibiotics after charging you the vet bill. I suspect a lawyer could use this in building a case.

p.s. I formerly ran a boarding kennel in WA. Sh#t does happen. But you have a moral, if not a legal, obligation to pick up after the messes you create. In my kennel days there was a little kennel owners' association that hired a lawyer to write boarding contracts that basically said: "we take no responsibility . . . you pay for anything that goes wrong". We had good insurance, and were able to get claims covered on the couple occasions when untoward events happened.

Sadly I think the lawyer would end up costing more than the boarding and vet bill, and I just want to focus on the furbies now. The whole situation zapped too much energy.

I just hope what happened to us makes kennels re-think their procedures and encourages owners to ask - or get in writing - what the procedures are for ensuring 100% separation.

Sadly I think the lawyer would end up costing more than the boarding and vet bill, and I just want to focus on the furbies now. The whole situation zapped too much energy.

I just hope what happened to us makes kennels re-think their procedures and encourages owners to ask - or get in writing - what the procedures are for ensuring 100% separation.

I highly doubt that it will - there were no consequences to the boarding kennel so why would they re-think their procedures?

Sure the entire situation is energy zapping but why would you not collect the antibiotics you paid for and are entitled to?

I highly doubt that it will - there were no consequences to the boarding kennel so why would they re-think their procedures?

Sure the entire situation is energy zapping but why would you not collect the antibiotics you paid for and are entitled to?

Seriously no consequence?? How about a bad name and a lack of business. Not sure about anyone else but that would be seen as a consequence to me!

I know what you mean about lawyers and costs. Been there. But if you do the research and get the necessary information nicely assembled you may find someone who will write a demand letter for you for a reasonable fee. Alternatively, Google "how to write a demand letter". You'll find lots of DIY information, templates, etc.. A letter on a legal firm's letterhead looks more threatening, that's all. As 'court' in this case would be small claims court, you could try to sue them without a lawyer, though it would probably come down to your word against theirs . . . not a great basis for a legal case.

I have no idea of how 'negligence' is defined in your state . . . someone else may be able to tell you.

amend that: Here's a link that gives some info about QLD negligence law. http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/legalinformation/livinginthecommunity/Dutyofcare/Pages/Negligencedutyofcareandloss.aspx I suspect that a boarding contract will be invalid insofar as it tries to exempt the kennel from liability for negligence. If it were possible to evade negligence law in that way, every childcare center would do so . . . I don't think a legal system could allow this.

Edited by sandgrubber

Seriously no consequence?? How about a bad name and a lack of business. Not sure about anyone else but that would be seen as a consequence to me!

Seriously! Bad name? I am yet to know which Boarding Kennel and it's not like there was a public announcement on several mediums slandering the kennel? I highly doubt this has caused the kennel any lack of business at all.

Seriously! Bad name? I am yet to know which Boarding Kennel and it's not like there was a public announcement on several mediums slandering the kennel? I highly doubt this has caused the kennel any lack of business at all.

A few people know which boarding kennel due to another post :)

But you are correct, its not publicly known, so those few people may not use the kennel, but the vast majority of people continue blissfully unaware of any situation ever occurring and no bad name has been made.

It would be interesting if the owner was here to put their side of the story.

No matter what their side is the facts & outcome still remain the same.

They were told to keep the dogs apart or they would fight. They didn't.

The dogs did fight. The dogs got injured.

They charged the client the vet bill.

Not impressive no matter what their side or excuses are.