Hotspots - Again!

tesslc

So our SBT boy is prone to hotspots. Actually it's been a couple of years since he's had a bad one but we had him on different biscuits recently and Lo and behold he's got a cracker on his cheek.

Usually I put Ilium Neocort on at the first sign and the spot clears up quickly. This time round I've been using it for a week and a half and it's not clearing up. Initially it scanned over and became pus filled underneath. I scrubbed the scab off, bathed it with salt water twice a day, dried it and kept putting the Neocort on. The infection cleared up in a day but no such luck with the hotspot.

I'm now bathing it with betadine every two hours, drying it completely and putting the neocort on. I've tried an anti fungal on it but that made it worse. At the moment it's not getting worse but not better either. I know he has scratched it once but he doesn't seem to be scratching it now (possibly because I've been smashing it with the Neocort).

Any ideas??

I find hot spots take longer to heal using Ilium Neocort and they heal much faster when treated in a way that allows them to dry out (a cream doesn't do this). Wash gently (but wipe away any gunk) with peroxide and then dab on betadine. I treat every hot spot this way now and they heal very nicely; you don't even need to shave the fur.

If it doesn't show progress in the next few days I'd go to the vet for a steroid shot (pretty sure that's what they use, but it's been a very long time since I saw a vet for a hot spot) so it heals faster because it must be bothering your dog.

Edited by Mim

Thanks guys - I'm nervous to use listerine as it stings (a lot). I've used it as a home remedy for myself and I can testify that it is bloody painful.

I will give the betadine a go hopefully it's healing up in the next couple of days.

Thanks guys - I'm nervous to use listerine as it stings (a lot). I've used it as a home remedy for myself and I can testify that it is bloody painful.

I will give the betadine a go hopefully it's healing up in the next couple of days.

Peroxide and Betadine sting like blazes too. Curash is about the only thing that doesn't sting.