Split Season

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just a question. I have a female GSD who always had regular seasons that were normal.

Long story short - whilst living at home I had to put in an implant. The implant wore off and she had a normal season. The she came in again at her normal interval but instead of having pre estrus she just went straight into the estrus phase. Now it seems like she is having a split season as it is 9 weeks later and she is back in and the same thing has happened.

The vet said he is not concerned at this point and that it might just be the hormones sorting out after the implant. My question is, does anyone have any knowledge through experience of how long this might take or if she might keep having split seasons now?

I am going to wait to see what happens next time to decide if I should take her to a repro vet to make sure everything is normal.

Thanks guys :)

Don't be too concerned about it, at yet. It may be the implant & as the vet said but 2 of my older girls have had an odd split season in the past, not every season. No implant used. They reproduced as normal & didn't have any particular problems. Sometimes I wonder if its the weather :noidea:

Edited by Christina

Don't be too concerned about it, at yet. It may be the implant & as the vet said but 2 of my older girls have had an odd split season in the past, not every season. No implant used. They reproduced as normal & didn't have any particular problems. Sometimes I wonder if its the weather :noidea:

Funny you say that Christina. Had a split with my girl just before Christmas. Currently she is 4.5 weeks pregnant. My repro vet said she saw a LOT of weird seasons last year.

Really TSD? Amber had the world's longest season, but I put that down to her liver shunt. She then didn't really have a season when she was due next.

It didn't seem to bother her but totally freaked me out. There wasn't any treatments that we could safely do so I didn't do more exploring with it beyond testing to see if it was an infection.