State Govt Announces Review Into Restricted Breed Legislation

Aphra

In the run-up to the November Victorian state election the Labor party announced that they would review Victoria's BSL legislation if they won government.

Yesterday they made good on their promise, introducing two new amendment bills into Parliament. One bill declares a moratorium on killing any dogs currently held by councils under the restricted breed legislation and the proposing the review. The results of the review are to be tabled by 30th September. The bills are about to undergo a second reading and if supported will mean that, at least until September, no more dogs will be killed just because of how they look.

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/moratorium-on-restricted-dog-breed-euthanasia

I hope they come to there senses.

BSL has to be one of the most pathetic legislation in Modern Australias history.

But be aware the Federal opposition leader is on record for wanting Vic style BSL Legislation in every state and territory.

Edited by DuffyDack

Ah yes, Bill Shorten who thinks a dog is a front end loader, "Oh there's no question, you don't need these... You just don't need an animal which has a three tonne pressure on its teeth as a household pet, I can't see the case for it."

Luckily companion animal management is a state issue.

I hope they come to there senses.

BSL has to be one of the most pathetic legislation in Modern Australias history.

But be aware the Federal opposition leader is on record for wanting Vic style BSL Legislation in every state and territory.

People down there have worked so, so hard to get to this point and put in so much blood, sweat, tears and cold hard cash of their own to see some big supreme court wins, which is what has prompted this. I'm so happy for them.

I REALLY hope the enquiry is a good one, and sees the abolishment of BSL and the introduction of evidence based, effective breed neutral animal management laws.

Has anyone got a link re Bill Shorten's comments?

LAWS:

Something totally away from all this that we agree on is, I'm sure we agree on a lot, but something I know we agree on is the dangerous dogs issues, is any progress being made on a national front there?

SHORTEN:

I believe that the Attorney General and the Minister for Justice have followed up and contacted all the states. I know the Victorian Government has put legislation into Parliament...

LAWS:

They have, yeah.

SHORTEN:

So I can get an update for you but I know that having spoken to the relevant Federal Ministers that they've been raising it with their state colleagues.

LAWS:

'Cause I think it's a very good thing, it's the only way to go, it's stupid to have it any other way.

SHORTEN:

Oh there's no question, you don't need these... You just don't need an animal which has a three tonne pressure on its teeth as a household pet, I can't see the case for it.

LAWS:

Well I don't think there is one Bill. Okay, good to talk to you again, thankyou very much for your time and I'm sure we'll get to talk again soon, I certainly hope so.

SHORTEN:

Indeed John, thank you very much.

http://ministers.tre...Year=&DocType=2

MP BILL Shorten has called for tougher national standards to restrain savage animals - and harsher penalties for their owners - following the tragic death of Ayen Chol, killed by her neighbour's pit bull mastiff last week.

According to a caucus spokesman, Mr Shorten branded unregistered dogs like the one implicated in the fatal mauling in Melbourne's north-west ''sharks on legs''. The attack occurred in his electorate of Maribyrnong.

Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland confirmed he would take action: ''With the Minister for Home Affairs and Justice, I will be writing to my state and territory counterparts with a view to achieving a national consistency on matters such as registration and management of potentially dangerous dogs, as well as the adequacy and consistency of penalties.''

http://www.smh.com.a...0823-1j8gb.html

LAWS:

Something totally away from all this that we agree on is, I'm sure we agree on a lot, but something I know we agree on is the dangerous dogs issues, is any progress being made on a national front there?

SHORTEN:

I believe that the Attorney General and the Minister for Justice have followed up and contacted all the states. I know the Victorian Government has put legislation into Parliament...

LAWS:

They have, yeah.

SHORTEN:

So I can get an update for you but I know that having spoken to the relevant Federal Ministers that they've been raising it with their state colleagues.

LAWS:

'Cause I think it's a very good thing, it's the only way to go, it's stupid to have it any other way.

SHORTEN:

Oh there's no question, you don't need these... You just don't need an animal which has a three tonne pressure on its teeth as a household pet, I can't see the case for it.

LAWS:

Well I don't think there is one Bill. Okay, good to talk to you again, thankyou very much for your time and I'm sure we'll get to talk again soon, I certainly hope so.

SHORTEN:

Indeed John, thank you very much.

http://ministers.tre...Year=&DocType=2

MP BILL Shorten has called for tougher national standards to restrain savage animals - and harsher penalties for their owners - following the tragic death of Ayen Chol, killed by her neighbour's pit bull mastiff last week.

According to a caucus spokesman, Mr Shorten branded unregistered dogs like the one implicated in the fatal mauling in Melbourne's north-west ''sharks on legs''. The attack occurred in his electorate of Maribyrnong.

Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland confirmed he would take action: ''With the Minister for Home Affairs and Justice, I will be writing to my state and territory counterparts with a view to achieving a national consistency on matters such as registration and management of potentially dangerous dogs, as well as the adequacy and consistency of penalties.''

http://www.smh.com.a...0823-1j8gb.html

Oh FFS, can't win with these idiot politicians. So now I've gotta choose between Tones and THIS!? :cry: