Advice On Keeping Dumped Kitten

Hi there

Had an older kitten dumped at our shop recently. She isn't microchipped or desexed and we have footage of the person who dumped her. Does she legally have to go to LDH or can she be privately rehomed? Any advice is much appreciated.

Sags

:)

I think she is supposed to go to the pound Sags (in case someone found a lost kitten and dumped it at your shop) or at least notify them in case anyone is looking for the kitten.

From the DEPI website: Found or stray cats in the possession of a person, other than the owner, must be handed over to the local council as soon as possible.

If she was dumped & you are 100% sure I would keep her.

Most kittens at the pound get euthanised. I doubt anyone will prosecute you. You haven't kept or stolen someones pet.

Kitten seem very unimportant in the general scheme of the world :cry:

If the law says you have to take her to the pound, then take her to the pound... and if you want to keep her, put in an application to adopt her at the same time you drop her off. If an owner doesn't come forward, then she can legally be yours, and they will desex her for you as well.

T.

If you want to keep her I'd forgo the formalities, after all she's not microchipped and it's sounds like she's clearly been dumped

If you want to re-home her it's probably best to follow the law to the letter in order to protect her future owner should any issues arise

If you're in a LDH area you will need to formally adopt before re-homing as I'm sure you know they won't work with rescue.

Feel free to PM me once you're ready to re-home, I'm currently working on organising some adoption days at Petstock stores in Melbourne with a few rescues and kittens and cats seems to do quite well in that adoption environment

Thank you for the replies.

At this stage she has gone to LDH. We have said that we will take her once she is available. We had to be seen to do everything right as we'd been posting on lots of local FB pages including our own store (4Paws & More Pet Supplies), so needed to go through the correct channels. Besides, if there is even a small chance that the kitten had been stolen then dumped, I would want the owner to have a chance to reunite with her.

Leah82, do you work for Petstock or are you organising adoption days from the adoption centre's perspective? If the latter, feel free to contact me as we've done some work in this area and would love to host more days.

Thanks again,

Sags

:)

A friend of mine - asked me to help her catch some stray kittens that she'd managed to lure into her laundry...

She took them to the AWL - who told her "you feed them - then they're your cats" and "don't feed them" - but how else do you lure kittens into traps.

That's in South Australia.

Pretty sure it's illegal to dump animals and pets - so there might be something to report with the footage? the footage may also help the pound "attempt to contact the owner"...

And most well organised pounds allow interested parties to express an interest in keeping the animal they bring in and then let them take the animal home after all legal requirements are met (eg attempts to contact the owner and allowing them time to claim the kitten). You'd probably have to pay for desexing and vet care (vax and etc) that any adopter would have to pay.

Tho you don't know for sure that the kitten wasn't just left by someone who found it somewhere else. ie never owned it.