Keeshond Looking For A New Home

Hi everyone, I have a little 2.5yr old desexed female Keeshond or possibly Keeshond-cross here that will be looking for a loving home soon. She was a rescue - one of the most horrible neglect cases I've seen in a fair while. She was a walking hot spot with 2.5yrs of matted undercoat, rubbed raw and rotten under her collar and a good dose of flystrike (so so awful - maggots galore), flea infestation and urine scalding to top it off. Very sad :(

The good news is that she is very kind and has tolerated unpleasant medical treatments, grooming, bathing etc with very good humour. She has been absolutely fine with our Labrador bitch and looks to be fine with other dogs and cats too. She is a busy little bee and needs some time to realise that she will be included and loved from now on, as any attention gets her very excited. She settles down quickly though, hasn't barked much at all and is learning quickly about crates, grooming, walking on the lead, not jumping up etc. I will continue to work on her basic training while I'm treating her skin problems and I think she's a fast learner.

She is quite little and I couldn't say for sure that she is purebred (no paperwork), although she has the look and coat of a Keeshond. I'll post some pics tomorrow - perhaps others can comment. She's been fully vet checked and has a nice clear airway, no heart murmur, no signs of lameness, ears actually quite good and reasonable body condition. I think her skin won't be a recurring issue with normal grooming, as it is improving quickly now. So I think she will settle into a family home very quickly and she really deserves the best given what she's been through.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or questions please let me know - thanks :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BC Crazy :) Was having a good look at her this morning (with half my brain working!) and she definitely isn't purebred - my guess would be Keeshond x Pom or even Papillion.

She would suit someone looking for a smaller Spitz type with some pretty black spectacles as a bonus!

So she's smaller than a Spritz?. She sounds lovely with a temp. to match by all accounts. It would have been an excruciatingly painful road back from that heartbreaking sheer neglect.

She's a little trooper :heart:

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes she is much smaller than my last female Keeshond (a long time ago) but then our Kees was a tad too big for the show ring. Maybe she could be a German Spitz x Kees.

Her paws/legs are much thinner/more pointy than a Kees and instead of being cream they are cream with dark penciling or shading to them. She has some funny but cute wispy ear hair going on too :)

She certainly has been to hell and back though and is such a sweetheart!

Anyone have any tips on how to get stinky urine smell out of her paws?

I think she spent a fair part of her life locked in a chicken coop/hutch in her own waste and her feet remind me of rabbits or guinea pigs that suffer the same fate. The skin has responded well to ABs but normal bathing, chlorhex and shampoo hasn't really got rid of the smell. Any ideas for a good paw soak or wash?

Brightstar, I use Sards Wonder soap on my guys white feet to remove any staining or yellowing before I shampoo them as usual. I just have them stand in some warm water, make sure their feet are soaking wet then I lather the foot up with sards & use a sponge to give them a good go over then rinse thoroughly. Shampoo as usual. Might be worth a try.

Griminator shampoo is a very effective shampoo for removing odours etc from their coat. I buy it from ClipperWorld on line. You use it 32 to 1 so a small bottle goes a long way. Excellent product for this type of thing :)

Anyone have any tips on how to get stinky urine smell out of her paws?

Friends looked after a Tibbie who'd been rescued from a puppy farm in a RSPCA raid. Her legs had turned an orange colour from standing knee-deep in urine & faeces. Normal bathing didn't at first shift that imbedded stuff & smell.

Some drops of Nil Odor in both the bath & rinse water worked very well to get a fresh smell. Nil Odor can be bought at the supermarket & is highly concentrated, that's why only drops are used.

The orange colour just gradually faded with normal shampooing. But I like BC's tip about Sard Wonder Soap.

Great ideas thanks :)

She went for her first ever walk today (previous owners freely admitted she had never left the yard) as the skin around her neck has healed enough for a flat collar.

It went like this: sunshine, cool breeze, interesting smells, open space, new best friend Rottie, wet grass, dirt patch, kids to say hi too, birds, muddy puddles... Pure joy!

I actually tried some bicarbonate but didn't really make a paste - I just dusted it between the toes etc. I think it did help a bit.

I need some ideas for a new name too as I'm not a fan of her current one. Partner has helpfully suggested 'Fuzzbomb', 'Furball' and 'Tiny Hair Monster' so I need a bit of help :)

I know pics are needed for naming though, will get them up this afternoon.

Thanks :) She is definitely improving everyday now. I'd love to find her a home that's familiar with this kind of coat and grooming requirements - it could be a bit tricky though I think.

As an aside, she's the first dog I've had that really loves the goat horn and antler chews, which definitely surprised me! There's toughness and determination behind those black spectacles!

Ooh suggest a name - I love these threads...

I'm thinking some german weather related word... or maybe dutch (depending on what origin you like for likely dog breed).

Wolke - german for cloud pronounced volky

Sturm - storm

Smokey - comes out as rauchig (rowshig) - not so pretty

regen (or Reagan) - rain

Schnee - Snow

snowy - didn't translate so well.

There's a list of german female dog names here.

http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/female-german-dog-names.html

I'm not fond of giving human names to dogs...

But I quite like Milla - Industrious (busy?) from the list

There's a few I like the meaning but good luck yelling "ursula" across the park...

Zelda - means Grey Warrior

Or you could go with

Lindt (Lint) as in chocolate or belly button fluff...

Linty

Tho the vet receptionist will certainly write that as "Lindy".

Dutch for "soft" is "zacht" - tho that seems like a boys name...

A keeshond needing a new home was how I discovered DOL all those years ago! A young boy called Herbie was dumped on my parents after his owners got evicted from public housing. I'd never even heard of the breed before! He had never been fed anything more than scraps and was quite small too. Always an outside dog with no actual shelter from the Queensland sun. He was originally very badly matted but the owners took him and got him groomed (at the request of mum) right before he ended up with my parents and he got terrible razor burn around his boy bits and we had to get it treated yet he never once complained either - so pleased to simply have some attention! Anyway BFR took him on and he was rehomed to a kitten foster carer. I still get to see pics of him on FB. He gets hotspots so they keep his coat short.

I think they are a wonderful looking breed and they seem to have a good temperament. So few come through rescue that hopefully she will be snapped up quickly. This girl looks amazing for what she has been through.