Black Hawk Vs Royal Canin Dog Food

Aleksandr

Recently we switched from

Royal Canin to Black Hawk. Manly because of the cost 15Kg of RC cost around 130AU. At the same time Black Hawk local brand cost 20Kg for around 100AU .

Anyone having a same experience?

The Vizsla just turned 16 months on 13 March. He is now full on RAW. He has no kibble or grains since 11th February ( by choice).

In that time he has dropped 3 kilos which was mainly puppy fat and is heaps better.

Are your costs high because of your location? I can get Black Hawk for under AU$90.00

Let me know if you like.

I have never tried RC...so can't comment on RC, but my dogs have always had Black Hawk. They love it & do well on it. I mainly give them the Lamb one as they lost a bit of weight on the Chicken & they get fish with their meal anyway, so no need for the Fish one. As others have said..location will play a big part in the costs. I live in Northern NSW & pay $95 for 20 kilos of Lamb. The food has to come from Victoria, so I would imagine the freight to WA would be pretty hefty.

The "better" food will be the one your dogs find most palatable and do better on. Price would not be my top priority.

I feed RC. My dogs wouldn't touch Black Hawk. That doesn't make it a bad food but it's not right for my tribe.

I think breed plays its part. A lot of sighthound folk feed RC. But plenty feed BH too.

Abandon the idea that there is a holy grail when it comes to the "best" dog food and just feed what you can afford and what they do well on.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Over the last few months I've tried a few different foods as one of my dogs is particularly fussy and hard to keep weight on. We were feeding raw only but he started to walk away from meals and lose weight so I tried a small bag of RC and they all ate it with gusto but I have since purchased a bag of BH because I liked the ingredients better. 4 of my dogs eat it and Arnold eventually eats most of it only out of desperation and starvation but I have also noticed one of my girls is losing weight and her coat is looking dry so I think I'll be going back to RC once this bag is gone.

The "better" food will be the one your dogs find most palatable and do better on. Price would not be my top priority.

I feed RC. My dogs wouldn't touch Black Hawk. That doesn't make it a bad food but it's not right for my tribe.

I think breed plays its part. A lot of sighthound folk feed RC. But plenty feed BH too.

Abandon the idea that there is a holy grail when it comes to the "best" dog food and just feed what you can afford and what they do well on.

Totally agree HW.

It was recommended to us, to give RC a go for Zig but he seemed to get 'soft' on it - his muscle tone seemed to disappear.

BH just gave him the runs.

I feed a combination of VAN and Earthborn Holistic (grain free) kibble. Plus he has chicken frames and other bones. It seems to be what suits him, so that is what I stick with.

Dozer lost coat condition on black hawk, refused to eat ekunuba as a pup and we had him on ivory coat, and he looked fantastic but got yeasty.. And omg the farts on canadae were horrifying, and could clear the whole house.

Now he's doing quite well on VIP grain free..

As others have said, the best food is the one your dog does well on

Myth.

Your dog could have good poos and survive on the lowest quality food i.e. 2 minute noodles > this is not the best food for the dog.

Some foods are too rich for dogs, some dogs (most) have food intolerance, so it's finding a good quality food that is going to have positive gene expression (Nutrigenomics) and sit well with your dogs tummy. We need to stop promoting "the best food is what your dog does best on" because people often only consider the 'now' not the future and usually only consider what comes out of their dog at the 'now'. Nutrition is much bigger picture, and we know this already in regards to our own bodies but for some reason we choose to ignore it for canines maybe because cost is prohibitive or we don't have the same want for our dogs when it comes to health and longevity that we do for our human families or are we under the incorrect assumption that good poos means the dog is on the best food?

Palatable is certainly important but it needs to be considered where this is coming from, is it from high quality bio available proteins or artificial methods / low quality proteins lacking bio availability?

It's certainly true that one dog may thrive on Blackhawk Fish & Potato and another may not, I think it's logical in terms of individuals no matter what species.

Dog guardians should consider the terms "Thrive" "Survive" "Do well on" carefully. As canine guardians we need to become experts in what goes into our dogs bodies and not just go for brands or packaging. Some of the more well known kibbles out there such as RC and Advance have some of the lowest quality ingredients in some of their lines. The ingredients panel is in clear view for all canine guardians to read, it's our job to understand what those ingredients are and what they do to our dogs bodies now and in the future.

Edited by sas

I personally wouldn't feed either of them. RC is full of crap, no better than Science Diet IMO. Black Hawk has some good ingredients but also contains Rosemary extract which is a neurotoxin and can cause seizures in dogs predisposed to fitting (which a lot of isds border collies are).

We don't feed a lot of kibble but when we do we use taste of the wild or Artemis.

When you having a large dogs cost of feeding is an issue. Keep in mind that Royal Canin dog food is an imported product, theoretically you as a consumer paying their related import(taxes, transportation, etc..,) fees.

Manufacturing of BH dog food is local. if the product is simular why paying more to overseas business.?

Of coz pros and conz to consider. The only problem with BH we have found is tiny food bits. Where RC is supplying decent size like chupa-chups :) for Large breeds specifically.