Vomiting

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for thinking of us everyone! I just got to work after doing the transfer - emergency vet is 30mins away in good traffic so it was a bit of a mission this morning. They said he is doing really well - his kidney function is still good, and he managed to get lots of charcoal down, so that's great. Now it's just fluids fluids fluids. Elise suggested 48hrs of fluids last night, so will see what our vet thinks today. The longer the better I think!

It was really upsetting seeing him this morning with his drip and catheter and cone. I may have bawled my eyes out :(

He seemed pretty perky, but was knocked around a bit by the car trip I think, so I'm sure he'll appreciate a day in bed.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and well wishes - and thank goodness for this wonderful site - it would never have occurred to me that the grapes were a problem without you!!!

ETA Elise said that it can take up to a week for renal failure to present, so even though he's doing well, it's going to be a waiting game for a while.

Edited by aliwake

Yes see you are a great dog mum. You noticed a problem, sought advice, and acted completely the right way to that advice! It sounds like the vets are completely on the ball and doing everything right for him. Now just a fingers crossed waiting game. I'm pretty sure everyone you meet now will know not to feed grape products to dogs, so some good has come of it already!

Everything crossed for you. And we'll done for acting so swiftly.

Yes see you are a great dog mum. You noticed a problem, sought advice, and acted completely the right way to that advice! It sounds like the vets are completely on the ball and doing everything right for him. Now just a fingers crossed waiting game. I'm pretty sure everyone you meet now will know not to feed grape products to dogs, so some good has come of it already!

Everything crossed for you. And we'll done for acting so swiftly.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly when I needed help!

I guess mother's guilt is just part of being a parent. Hopefully everything will be ok.

I'm pretty sure he brought up everything in his stomach when he vomited, so hopefully there weren't many grapes left after that. Not to mention he probably swallowed most of them whole.

It's going to be a very long week.

And yep - I'll definitely be telling everyone I know not to feed grapes to their dog!

Glad he's doing well Aliwake.

Don't beat yourself up, we used to give our dogs a grape every now and then and even a corn cob after the rabbits were done with it until we were told they could all cause serious issues. You won't know unless someone tells you.

You recognised signs, asked, and acted. Thats being a good dog owner!grouphug.gif

I can't remember if it was here or on Facebook I read a story about a dog that got blocked up by a silicone patty cake pan - 2 years after it had eaten it.

Go figure. Sometimes it can be what the dog ate recently and sometimes it's something the dog ate years ago and now it clags the system up...

I hope your boofer continues to improve. Thank goodness you acted when you did. I can't take any credit, if I didn't tell you about grapes I'm sure someone else here would have!

It's been on my mind today though, and I think I will write up a post for my grooming salon FB page to remind more owners of this danger.

That's a really great idea - more people need to know!

I visited him this arvo and had cuddles for about half an hour. He was very perky and full of beans, then very sad/confused when I had to leave him again. Maybe I should just stay away until he can come home. Have been a blubbering mess all day. I blame the hormones! And guilt! Hopefully I'll be able to talk to my favourite vet tomorrow. She'd already left when I was there this arvo.

That's a really great idea - more people need to know!

I visited him this arvo and had cuddles for about half an hour. He was very perky and full of beans, then very sad/confused when I had to leave him again. Maybe I should just stay away until he can come home. Have been a blubbering mess all day. I blame the hormones! And guilt! Hopefully I'll be able to talk to my favourite vet tomorrow. She'd already left when I was there this arvo.

That's what I do. l find it stresses me and them to come and go.

It's what I'd normally do , but then I think 'what if he only has a few days left?'

I shouldn't have done more googling this morning, the stories are ALL bad :(

Not all dogs seem to be affected by grapes. I'd be freaking too but every day he's fine is a good day and one day closer to being out of danger.

It's what I'd normally do , but then I think 'what if he only has a few days left?'

I shouldn't have done more googling this morning, the stories are ALL bad :(

Googling never helps. I too am guilty of this with sick pets. but it really doesnt help anything.

Most recently i was reading horror stories about cats, as mine was sick, and every one was bad. Mine ended well, maybe i will have to go put it on google to counteract some of the negative.

Hope he continues improving Aliwake. You are definitely an excellent dog owner, don't beat yourself up about it :)

Try not to worry. Our family dog when I was a child ate grapes all the time and she lived to be 17. And just recently my mum's dog ate several small packets of sultanas and suffered no ill effects (we made her vomit, and had her on fluids for 2 days just to be safe though). Thinking of you! :)

I can't remember if it was here or on Facebook I read a story about a dog that got blocked up by a silicone patty cake pan - 2 years after it had eaten it.

Go figure. Sometimes it can be what the dog ate recently and sometimes it's something the dog ate years ago and now it clags the system up...

Barkly needed surgery to remove a rubber toy he'd eaten several months earlier.

Get well soon Nix!!!!!!!

Thanks Luke :)

Morning update. I insisted on speaking to the vet this morning, which has made me feel a bit better. Apparently he did well overnight, and is still pretty perky. They're trying him on some food today I think. The vet didn't realise how late he started fluids monday night (close to midnight I think), so we talked it over and he's going to stay there on fluids for another night. They'll remove the drip tomorrow morning, then monitor him for a few hours, and I'll pick him up around lunchtime. She will do some bloods at some point to check his kidney function again, then we'll do more bloods early next week.

I've said I won't come visit him again - we both got too upset yesterday I think.

I'm feeling a little better today. Just have to keep waiting and hoping.

She said he was being very talkative yesterday which is really funny - he's not normally very vocal at all! Apparently he may have been upset he didn't have access to the cat they were treating :) He's also been talkative when he needs to go to the toilet :)