Breed Help Please!

Xyz

a retired greyhound. They're often under 30kgs.

On the back of a ute :eek:

Xyz most have terrible recall and while there are greys out there that will guard bark it's not a common trait. You get a greyhound taking off in a paddock at around 70k's an hour good luck catching it before it does itself an injury, those long legs can break easily and they have skin like tissue paper. Not sure a greyhound would suit this situation.

im sure you have seen hunters with their staghounds on the back of ute.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a retired greyhound. They're often under 30kgs.

On the back of a ute :eek:

Xyz most have terrible recall and while there are greys out there that will guard bark it's not a common trait. You get a greyhound taking off in a paddock at around 70k's an hour good luck catching it before it does itself an injury, those long legs can break easily and they have skin like tissue paper. Not sure a greyhound would suit this situation.

im sure you have seen hunters with their staghounds on the back of ute.

And I'm sure you know a greyhound is not a staghound O.o

I was going to suggest Vizsla.

The couple i have met have fit the bill perfectly.

But be prepared to share the couch also :D

And i am basing that off my knowledge of only a few dogs, more experienced people may well come in and say not suitable, but i think they could be worth looking in to :)

As well as the bathroom!

Not known as Velcro dogs for nothing. Right now I have head of Vizsla keeping my toes warm as I type.

Of course, he is also working me for an early dinner.

Vizsla or GSP would be my suggestions.....

How much training are they prepared to put into the dog?

If they don't want it stock or wildlife chasing and won't train a reliable recall, I'd not recommend most of the breeds mentioned.

Will it have a secure "home paddock" or be expected to remain inside stock fencing?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Secure home yard, moderate amount of training , labs pointers etc a bit big, most over 30kg?!

Greyhounds are winning, going to give them rescue,

Which rescue do we recommend ? Greyhound rescue or GAP? (hope it's ok to ask/)

German short haired pointers and viszla aren't 30kg I don't think. The girls, especially are a little smaller.

Tho I'm completely biased towards cattle dog. The stumpy tails have a shorter coat if that's important. Tho I do have to explain to mine that she's not welcome inside after rolling in mud. Fortunately for me her coat is close to Teflon unless she rolls in something oily.

I have a cousin who has horses and greyhound and a whippet... I have other cousins who have JRT or staffy or JRT or Staffy... ie they alternate between the breeds and a "weekend" farm that is used for raising the calves from the dairy industry... ie the JRT loves being out and about in the paddocks. Only hazard is you'd better spot the red belly black before he does.

Secure home yard, moderate amount of training , labs pointers etc a bit big, most over 30kg?!

OI! My Ernie is fully grown and weighs a slim and healthy 24kgs. I'm 5'10" and he's just past my knee.

One who actually puts them into foster homes first, and in your friends case hopefully a farm. Doesn't sprout the rescued line too enthusiastically, nor politics about the rights and wrongs of racing. Doesn't lie about health. Lots of racing dogs will carry an injury of some sort or end up with arthritis. They were after all supreme athletes and that doesn't come with out cost.

For your friend, expect to wait for the right one. Find out the leash and muzzle laws for where they live. Be prepared to give up a spot on the couch!

German short haired pointers and viszla aren't 30kg I don't think. The girls, especially are a little smaller.

Vizsla males should not weigh more than 27kg according to the ANKC standard. Herbert is 27kgs but I have to fight to keep him on that. At 16 months, he is still growing.

GSP males have a breed standard of 30kgs. Depends on the lines too.

My Vizsla gals were dainty little bitches. ( And bitch was the operative word).

ZsaZsa never weighed more than 24kg except when whelping. She did best at 22.5kgs trim and sound. Piroska was always 23kgs even. She was desexed

:)

Thanks all. My labs (all lean but stocky built) are around 32kg, they don't really like the gsp/vizsla type, whippets a contender but why when there are so many small rescue g/h's?!! (sorry whippet peeps). Bullies too many skin issues (both theirs had in the past).

Cattle dogs a definate, but I'm thinking a grey thru a rescue organization so they will discuss with GAP!!

Cheers:) :)

Yes, Amber, who i used to dog sit frequently was only around 20ish kg.

She could curl up into my cats bed, it was so funny to watch.

They are definitely smaller than a greyhound i would say.

Especially the females height wise.

Im going to share a picture because she's beautiful :D

Here with my 9ish wk old cav

5944392447_5a34e9fbd6.jpg

ETA; sorry, just saw they didnt like the vizsla type. I will leave this here for others anyways :D

Edited by denali

Thanks all. My labs (all lean but stocky built) are around 32kg, ....

Cheers:) :)

Yes, Ernie may add more as he bulks up but a couple of kilos over this magical 30 dhoukdnt matter if it's the right temperament. Don't think females get that big.