Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/more-than-50-greyhound-carcasses-found-in-bundaberg-bushland-20150401-1md2ub.html

The bodies of 55 greyhounds have been found dumped in bushland near Bundaberg.

A member of the public discovered the carcasses on Tuesday in the Wild Flower Reserve on Coonarr Beach Road in Coonarr.

They were in varying states of decomposition.

The police and RSPCA joint greyhound racing inquiry task force are now investigating.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said it was believed the dogs were killed before the Four Corners special on live-baiting in the greyhound racing industry was aired on February 16.

"Unfortunately as I think most people would be aware, there's always been a lot of wastage in the greyhound industry," he said.

"The indications are that these may just be young dogs that didn't have the speed, basically. But that's really all we know."

Bobby Etheridge from the Friends of the Hound greyhound rescue group said the dumping of unwanted dogs was sad but not surprising news.

"It's horrible, and really shocking to those who don't know about it, but it's everyday business in the greyhound world," she said.

"We have been trying to tell people this for years, but it falls on deaf ears every time because there's too much money involved."

Autopsies will be carried out to determine the cause of death, and the dogs' ages.

Queensland Police Minister Jo-Ann Miller took to social media to say she was "absolutely sickened" by the news.

"Animal cruelty in Queensland won't be tolerated," she said.

Queensland Racing CEO Darren Condon and board member (greyhounds) Michael Byrne both said they were not aware of the discovery and weren't prepared to comment until they knew more.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:cry: :cry: :cry: How sad. How unbelievably cruel. The Greyhound Racing Industry needs to be thoroughly investigated and some damn rules and regulations put in place for those who don't care about the dogs unless they're money winners. It's time breeding restrictions were put in place.

Without knowing causes of death and how long they'd been there for, I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

If they were humanely euthanised by a vet but dumped there because the trainer/s were too scroogey to pay for disposal, that'd be one thing (although still inappropriate) but then.. on the other hand, there are other possibilities :(

It does seem a very risky thing for a trainer to do though. Even if the carcasses are decomposed enough to rule out finding ear brands, they should all be microchipped and traceable.

This is all over my facebook newsfeed, as unfortunately this has happened in my community :( Locals are disgusted.

Someone said the ears had been cut off to prevent identification but in these situations rumours run rampant so there's no way of knowing what's true until the RSPCA releases info on the investigation.

RIP to those poor dogs.

Without knowing causes of death and how long they'd been there for, I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

If they were humanely euthanised by a vet but dumped there because the trainer/s were too scroogey to pay for disposal, that'd be one thing (although still inappropriate) but then.. on the other hand, there are other possibilities :(

It does seem a very risky thing for a trainer to do though. Even if the carcasses are decomposed enough to rule out finding ear brands, they should all be microchipped and traceable.

If they were illegally killed I'm thinking anything that would identify them will have been removed. Does Qld DNA test their greyhounds? I wonder if that would at least be a way of tracing their parentage and perhaps narrowing down the creeps responsible.

It makes you wonder about the mental capacity of the people responsible for this. Surely they understood, sooner or later the bodies will be found and it wont do the industry any good even if they personally dont get caught. :confused:

It makes you wonder about the mental capacity of the people responsible for this. Surely they understood, sooner or later the bodies will be found and it wont do the industry any good even if they personally dont get caught. :confused:

This is what makes me think they were probably legally killed. You'd have to be all kinds of stupid to illegally kill and dump even a single greyhound if you were a trainer.

This is what makes me think they were probably legally killed. You'd have to be all kinds of stupid to illegally kill and dump even a single greyhound if you were a trainer.

even legally killed, they've been illegally dumped so that in itself will hopefully lead to prosecution, but all that aside legal or illegal this brings terrible unwanted attention to the greyhound industry. They could be doing themselves and everyone else out of business, they must be morons.

Legally killed or illegally killed - the fact is the general public is just now really coming to understand the wastage of the Greyhound industry - and the voices that aren't okay with it are getting louder and louder. This is just another nail in the coffin.

** Edit - just saw this article than mentions ammunition shells being found at the site: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-02/spent-ammunition-at-site-where-55-greyhound-carcasses-dumped/6367150 **

This is my surprised face...oh wait...I'm not surprised at all.

One can only hope that these greys were humanely euthanised, but even then, humanely euthanised or not, it's still disgusting, and I'm still judging. I just really hope that this hitting the mainstream media and therefore, the wider general public, that people will begin to realise that this DOES happen. That the mass destruction of dogs within the racing industry is real, it does happen, it is disgusting and that greyhound advocates were not simply making this up.

At the moment, any and all media attention surrounding this is a good thing.

Edited by Lillynix

Guest donatella

Appalling and horrific. the greedy bogans behind the whole industry need investigation. :mad

I remember years ago in our local community dozens of dog bodies were found and investigations turned out that it was some organisation that had killed them and dumped them all it would seem was allowable and not considered illegal. Is there such a thing as illegally disposing of a dog's body? I also remember a job we did for PACERS involving a Dogz member who had a bunch of dead dogs in her house and shed and we were told there was no law against having the bodies and not disposing of them.

even legally killed, they've been illegally dumped so that in itself will hopefully lead to prosecution, but all that aside legal or illegal this brings terrible unwanted attention to the greyhound industry. They could be doing themselves and everyone else out of business, they must be morons.

Yeah, as I understand it, you can't just dispose of carcasses of animals destroyed using pentobarb wherever you feel like it. Down here, unless you're burying it in your own yard, it has to be disposed of in landfill in a section reserved for medical waste. For animals killed by other means.. I'm not sure of the exact laws but I assume it would fall under littering or dumping of rubbish.

Although legalities surrounding proper disposal are probably irrelevant if they did find spent casings there :(

Whoever it was, when they get caught, they're looking at a life ban. Down here last week, a trainer was given a seven year ban for having an unwell greyhound on his property- the dog in question was an old brood bitch which apparently had cancer. Racing Services did an inspection, the dog was found, RSPCA and vet called out and he was slapped with an immediate ban.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/probe-after-dog-trainers-ban/story-fnj4f7k1-1227282031629

Note that he wasn't banned because of welfare concerns for the dog but because his actions may have harmed the industry. Stay classy, racing industry *eye roll*

Dog racing of any kind is not only banned but illegal in most US states for a reason. Its about time we followed suit.

Hazy et al I absolutely understand and respect your position on the greyhound racing industry so please don't hit me. But this is absolutely sub-human and unacceptable in the 21st century. While I know it has yet to be proved this is the doings of a greyhound racing trainer, IMO its highly unlikely to be anyone else. And if it is, then the federal government must step in with a transition plan to wind down this industry over the next few years - there clearly is no other option. While I feel for those reasonable trainers and their families, I'm sorry but this industry cannot continue in any shape or form. Nick Xenophon where are you????