Greyhound Carcasses Found In Bundaberg Bushland

Maddy

Could just be gossip but I think I read on FB before that they had found at least one microchip in the carcasses.

I don't know how realistic I am being here or how far I think things should go but I'm starting to think we need to take a long hard look at a lot of things we do with animals. We are supposed to be a civilised society but we use farming techniques to poorly breed companion animals, and greed and corner cutting to save money/make more money in both the greyhound and horse racing industries (remember the public outcry after last Melbourne Cup?). Maybe as a species we are incapable of putting the needs of animals first when it comes to money and if that is the case we need to make sporting activities involving animals and mass breeding of companion animals illegal because we can't be trusted to follow the rules already in place. We have ruined these things for ourselves. We have nobody else to blame for bad media or the loss of income. We are causing the senseless deaths of innocent creatures for fun, entertainment and money. I don't think I can continue to pretend that is ok with me anymore.

We could say this about anything to do with human wants/needs/desires, really. Money is god and anything that stops people making money is evil.

I am still amazed when I see supermarket trolleys laden with goods all packed into plastic bags. You'd have to be blind and dumb and never listen to anything to know the damage these do to wild life.

This example could be spread over just about everything we do.

As a species (not speaking for those who spend their lives trying to help others and animals), I think we are incapable of thinking past our own comfort and appetites.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr Ted Humphries has given an interview on the ABC this morning - he has been working as a vet in the greyhound industry for over 30 years. To me he appeared depressed. He said:

• Disposal of greyhounds in pits on trainers properties is not uncommon;
  • Dogs whose owners did not pay their fees were disposed of in this way;
  • Unwanted greyhounds should only be euthanised by a registered vet;
  • It costs 2.5k to raise a greyhound to racing age;
  • Cost drives these practices;
  • Live-baiting has been happening for a long time and knowledge of its use was widespread within the industry;
  • Greyhound Racing NSW is dysfunctional and should be 'abolished' and replaced (his words not mine);
  • The regulation of the industry has been poor with regulators turing a 'blind eye';
  • The other states are no better.

If this is correct, to me its further supports that this industry needs to be wound down.

And while this was/is happening where were all the good people in this industry?

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'.

Edmund Burke

Edited by westiemum

Dr Ted Humphries has said the same things in the past. He spoke out on a 7.30 Report program back in 2013 which resulted in Greyhound Racing NSW 'warning him off' (banning?) from all their courses. I read somewhere else, at around the same time, he said he was so frustrated at the system where nothing was done to stop 'bad' practices that he was going to appeal to the NSW Ombudsman. So there was at least one 'good' person who got nowhere by speaking out & paid a price for doing so:

http://www.thedogs.com.au/NewsArticle.aspx?NewsId=4511

Edited by mita

Dr Ted Humphries has said the same things in the past. He spoke out on a 7.30 Report program back in 2013 which resulted in Greyhound Racing NSW 'warning him off' (banning?) from all their courses. I read somewhere else, at around the same time, he said he was so frustrated at the system where nothing was done to stop 'bad' practices that he was going to appeal to the NSW Ombudsman. So there was at least one 'good' person who got nowhere by speaking out & paid a price for doing so:

http://www.thedogs.c...spx?NewsId=4511

Thanks Mita - and good on him for having another try this morning. Like I said he looked depressed to me. frown.gif

Edited by westiemum

Dr Ted Humphries has said the same things in the past.

Thanks Mita - and good on him for having another try this morning. Like I said he looked depressed to me. frown.gif

Isn't it the way for whistleblowers, westie. I really admire their courage, but they always pay a price. Double admire for Dr Humphries, for trying again.

Hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin of an awful industry that trades in the misery, suffering and deaths of thousands of greyhounds each year. It will certainly add fuel to the fire for the QLD Racing Industry which has already suspended a total of 36 Queensland trainers over the live baiting scandal, with six issued with life bans and the Minister for Sport and Racing Bill Byrne has directed Racing Queensland to stop work on construction of a new greyhound track at Cronulla Park in Logan, pending the outcome of the independent review into the greyhound racing industry that is now under way. Full media statement and link below:

Minister stops work on greyhound track

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Minister stops work on greyhound track

Minister for Sport and Racing Bill Byrne has directed Racing Queensland to stop work on construction of a new greyhound track at Cronulla Park in Logan.

“I have issued a formal directive to Racing Queensland to cease work on the facility pending the outcome of the independent review into the greyhound racing industry that is now under way,” Minister Byrne said.

“In making this decision I have also considered advice from the Logan City Mayor, Councillor Pam Parker, that the local Council does not support the development.

“It is my view that it is in the best interests of the racing industry to pause the project at this time so that full consideration can be given to the conclusions of the review headed by Mr Alan MacSporran QC.

“The Government will reconsider this project in light of the findings of the MacSporran report.

“The review to determine how live-baiting was allowed to go undetected, which was announced on March 2, is taking submissions until the end of the month.

“The review is expected to take three months and will also consider how widespread live-baiting is in the Queensland greyhound racing industry and what changes are needed.

“Recently I received a request from Racing Queensland to approve the engagement of a contractor for the Cronulla Park project.

“I have not provided approval for any contractor to be engaged and will not while the direction is in place.”

Edited to add link to media statement

Edited by labadore

Well, seems the greyhound industry will at least be slowed in the light of pending enquiries etc. But, as others have posted, this will likely mean more voluntary and involuntary exodus from the industry.... placing even more greys' futures at stake. I hope some people, somewhere, are setting up contingency measures to address and deal with that.

Another update on this story with the woman being charged has also been issued a welfare infringement notice this morning after RSPCA visited the property on a cane farm on the outskirts of Bundaberg where a number of greyhounds are kept in makeshift pens and the scene was described as “disturbing”. See article and link below:

Bundaberg woman issued infringement notice after RSPCA visit

April 03, 2015 11:44AM

A BUNDABERG woman charged as part on an investigation into dead greyhounds has been issued a welfare infringement notice this morning.

The RSPCA visited the property on a cane farm on the outskirts of Bundaberg where a number of greyhounds are kept in makeshift pens.

Spokesman Michael Beatty said the RSPCA was concerned about the conditions in which the animals were being kept and their welfare.

The dogs appear to be contained in crudely constructed pens of corrugated iron, wire and star pickets.

The 64-year-old female greyhound trainer and breeder was arrested last night on one count of unlawful possession of a firearm and obstruct police after a search of the property.

She screamed a tirade of obscenities at media visiting her property this morning, and covered her head in a towel.

It’s understood the woman is a long-time licensed trainer who trained animals for Brisbane owners, and also did some breeding.

The scene was described as “disturbing”.

A 71-year-old Bundaberg man, believed to be her partner, is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.

They are due to appear in Bundaberg Magistrates Court on May 1.

Another update on this story with the woman being charged has also been issued a welfare infringement notice this morning after RSPCA visited the property on a cane farm on the outskirts of Bundaberg where a number of greyhounds are kept in makeshift pens and the scene was described as "disturbing". See article and link below:

Bundaberg woman issued infringement notice after RSPCA visit

April 03, 2015 11:44AM

A BUNDABERG woman charged as part on an investigation into dead greyhounds has been issued a welfare infringement notice this morning.

The RSPCA visited the property on a cane farm on the outskirts of Bundaberg where a number of greyhounds are kept in makeshift pens.

Spokesman Michael Beatty said the RSPCA was concerned about the conditions in which the animals were being kept and their welfare.

The dogs appear to be contained in crudely constructed pens of corrugated iron, wire and star pickets.

The 64-year-old female greyhound trainer and breeder was arrested last night on one count of unlawful possession of a firearm and obstruct police after a search of the property.

She screamed a tirade of obscenities at media visiting her property this morning, and covered her head in a towel.

It's understood the woman is a long-time licensed trainer who trained animals for Brisbane owners, and also did some breeding.

The scene was described as "disturbing".

A 71-year-old Bundaberg man, believed to be her partner, is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.

They are due to appear in Bundaberg Magistrates Court on May 1.

You have to ask why they decided to take the dogs to a public reserve and shoot them and leave them for all to see rather than do them in on their cane farm -burn the bods or bury them etc -seems to say a lot about their arrogance and stupidity along with all else that's screaming out about this case.

So apart from the wastage and disposal of the dogs and repercussions from greed and lack of empathy from the scumbags that own the dogs, (which are all very valid reasons to dislike the scumbags that do this) what is it that makes you think the industry/sport is repulsive? Bearing in mind there are people involved in this sport that do the right thing and their dog's welfare during and after racing is important to them.

Among the tens of thousands of racing greyhounds across the country i'd hazard a guess that only a tiny percentage are waking up inside a nice warm home this morning. Most of them will be waking up in a tiny concrete cell with a sack bed and a coat on if they're lucky.

For our greed, entertainment and viewing pleasure.

I'm guessing the same can be said for the 100's of thousands of pet dogs around the country. They sleep inside a warm house then they are put outside in a boring back yard or even worse (for a young dog) left inside with no company while their owner goes to work so the dog is alone for 8 plus hours, which is very contradictory to their innate desire to have the pack with them. Whereas the Greyhounds Iworked with were double rugged, in kennels that had trampoline beds with carpet In the morning they were let out in empty out yards where they run up and down with other dogs , they are then exercised and left out in day yards to laze around, to chew their bones or 4x2's, with lots of company and mental stimulation as there is always someone around and there is lots of activity. Plus they get to do something that they absolutely love doing everyday. My experience has been that when taking the dogs back to their kennels, the majority of dogs actually pull to go back into them and when you open the door they walk in voluntarily, quite happily.

When I took one of my girls (new rescue) to the vet yesterday to have sutures removed we had a 30 min wait as the vets were busy. Most of that time she had her tail tucked firmly between her legs, her pupils were fully dilated she had a roach back meanwhile there was a dog out the back screaming intermittently (a i'm locked up in strange place with no.one around that I know scream), if she was in to be euthanised would you say that she had enjoyed the last 30mins of her life.

As opposed to a possible scenario of a grey going for a car ride, then for a walk in bushland and then while the dog is totally oblivious of what is about to happen a gun is put to the back of their head. I have never done this personally or had it done to any dog I have had and nor do I condone anyone (vet or otherwise) shooting a healthy animal or one that can cured for a reasonable financial outlay, but if you were a dog, which 30 mins would you rather have as your last?

While I can't say that this is what happened to these poor dogs and the others that have been shot, it can't be said it didn't either.

I agree with everyone that says take the greed out of the industry MAKE owners/trainers ACCOUNTABLE for their dogs welfare during and AFTER racing. That would cut down demand so supply would also go because it would make it a very expensive hobby. It is being said that the culture will never change, I believe it can, it worked with alcohol (simply because the laws in place are policed and education. People learned there was going to be consequences) where the culture to get drunk on reasonably regular basis wasn't a bad thing, to have a drink for all occasions was ok, alcohol at any gathering was a must and it was even seen as ok to drink and drive. These attitudes have changed and they were far more entrenched into our culture than the old time attitude of some greyhound trainers/owners.

m-j all dog owners already have laws and by-laws in place regarding the care of their dogs. Registered businesses that accommodate or breed animals would also be subject to additional laws/by-laws. If they were a member of a key organisation regarding the breed of dog or commercial industry the dog was part of there would also be more conditions they had agreed to with membership. So the issue is not the percentage of people who are doing the right thing but the number of people who are blatantly doing the wrong thing. They are the ones ruining it for everyone and these dogs are paying the ultimate price for it.

And as far as an industry goes, how is it morally ok with anyone that a healthy animal is killed simply because it can't run fast? Where has this industry set up proper rehoming options for the hundreds/thousands of dogs that they know don't make the cut each year? The rescue stories regarding greys are often appalling. They clearly don't have any value to a lot of owners and trainers if they can't make them any money. This is a very different scenario to normal canine breeding situations where those that don't meet purpose go to pet only homes - they don't take them off somewhere and shoot them. And do you really think those dogs couldn't sense fear in that paddock? They didn't just take one or two at a time. There were 55 there! They could probably already smell the decay of other canines!

Laws, culture and consequences have not worked with alcohol either. Go for a walk at club closing time or visit an ER on a Saturday night and see the damage people are doing to themselves and others. The amount of crimes committed under the influence of alcohol is also staggering. And this costs our communities more money than the alcohol industry makes. Laws do not make greedy people suddenly good people.

[When I took one of my girls (new rescue) to the vet yesterday to have sutures removed we had a 30 min wait as the vets were busy. Most of that time she had her tail tucked firmly between her legs, her pupils were fully dilated she had a roach back meanwhile there was a dog out the back screaming intermittently (a i'm locked up in strange place with no.one around that I know scream), if she was in to be euthanised would you say that she had enjoyed the last 30mins of her life.

As opposed to a possible scenario of a grey going for a car ride, then for a walk in bushland and then while the dog is totally oblivious of what is about to happen a gun is put to the back of their head. I have never done this personally or had it done to any dog I have had and nor do I condone anyone (vet or otherwise) shooting a healthy animal or one that can cured for a reasonable financial outlay, but if you were a dog, which 30 mins would you rather have as your last?

Two different scenarios.

You took your new rescue to the vet for a valid treatment which would improve its health & make it more rehomeable.

The hypothetical about surplus greyhounds being taken for a 'ride' and a 'walk' before a bullet is shot into the back of its head ... is to end the life of a dog that's likely healthy and rehomeable. Boofy, the greyhound rescued from being shot by our neighbour is a good example.

The issue isn't the cognition of dogs. it's the cognition of humans and their perceptions and values about dogs.

As I said before, certain expectations about how dogs ought be treated has developed. Even covers police and military dogs.

That is now being applied to the lives of greyhounds by an increasing number of people. And which is how the trainer who rescued Boofy from being shot, thought ... and so did all of us who met this delightfully companionable greyhound. To shoot a dog which has potential & sound health to be a companion to humans, is out of step with strongly held current values. And is bloody cowardly as well.

Edited by mita

While I don't think shooting as a means of euthanasia is necessary cruel (if done by someone who is careful and very experienced), walking a dog into bushland filled with the bones of other dead dogs and the smell of their rotting flesh to shoot it is not doing it a kindness in any way, shape or form.

And the choices are not one or the other anyway. When I had to have my two elderly greys put to sleep, we paid the vet a little bit extra to come out to our house. My dogs went to sleep on the front lawn- in the sun, surrounded by people they loved and without any fear (or the need to put a bullet in them).

I would like to see the argument FOR greyhound racing. What exactly does it do that we need. Need it so much that it's legal and sponsored and defended.

Without racing, there would be no retired racers to have as pets. That's not a reason for racing, as such, but it's something to consider.

Some of us don't want conformation bred greyhounds- no offense to anyone who breeds them- and if racing is banned, the beautiful, amazing dogs we love so much will simply cease to exist.

And there is something magnificent about watching a dog, any dog, do exactly what it is designed and bred to do. I don't like the industry, but racing does allow these dogs to run in a relatively safe environment. And they are glorious when they do.

I would like to see the argument FOR greyhound racing. What exactly does it do that we need. Need it so much that it's legal and sponsored and defended.

Speaking only for myself, I'd prefer it was simply a hobby dog sport. So it's no longer an 'industry' with an association with gambling and high levels of financial pressures riding on the dogs' backs. Just specialty lure-coursing attracting owners who love the breed doing what they can mostly do so well ... run.

But that's Pollyanna-ish. Billions of dollars of revenue from betting on greyhounds is generated each year just in one state, NSW. Lot of vested interests.

It is being said that the culture will never change, I believe it can, it worked with alcohol (simply because the laws in place are policed and education. People learned there was going to be consequences) where the culture to get drunk on reasonably regular basis wasn't a bad thing, to have a drink for all occasions was ok, alcohol at any gathering was a must and it was even seen as ok to drink and drive. These attitudes have changed and they were far more entrenched into our culture than the old time attitude of some greyhound trainers/owners.

The greyhound racing industry culture will NEVER change to the standards the community in this day and age expect. To do that would mean they would need to put the welfare of the greyhounds above all else and that is just not going to happen. The Australian Greyhound Racing Association (AGRA) that played a significant role in the progression of rules was established in Australia in the 1960's and is divided into many state governing bodies, which regulate greyhound welfare and living conditions and the greyhound racing industry seems stuck in the 1960's time warp with outdated practices and policies. They have had over 50 years to significantly improve the welfare of the greyhounds and they have failed miserably in doing this. They are only making noises about changing things now that they are firmly and squarely in the spotlight. Once the spotlight goes away, they will return to what they have always been doing. :mad

This industry is complicit in the mass killings/wastage of thousands of greyhounds each year and have made admissions to this effect i.e. in 2012 Brent Hogan the GRNSWCEO at the time said in the ABC story on background briefing on greyhound racing that 3000 greyhounds were killed each year in the NSW racing industry. You can almost guarantee the number is double of what was admitted and that is in NSW only. :mad

Edited by labadore

And there is something magnificent about watching a dog, any dog, do exactly what it is designed and bred to do. I don't like the industry, but racing does allow these dogs to run in a relatively safe environment. And they are glorious when they do.

Racing on a track behind a mechanical lure is only 100 or so years old. Greyhounds were bred as hunters, that is their purpose, not racing. Racing is the outlet for their instincts.