Help Me Handle This

*kirty*

Exactly, I don't blame the dog for her reaction. However I don't believe my dogs would reach a state like that just because they were in a strange environment. In fact I KNOW they wouldn't because they have been placed in such a situation many times.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirty, you sure know how to get yourself into "situations". :) Often the way with very loving people.

As Stressmagnet says - ease into it. In fact, I know I am going agaist the consensus here, but I would be inclined to hold off a little on the lunge and bite at your daughter. Leave that until the rest has sunk in and your friend has some idea of her dog's stress levels. It sounds as though she might be in a bit of denial about how her behaviour impacts her dog.

Good luck. You must have been horrified when the dog bit your daughter and I am so glad it wasn't worse.

Poor dog. A full on distressed dog whose behaviour is erratic because of it is a very sad thing to see.

It was kind of you to mind her dog but I'd suggest that you might not allow the dog on the bed or interact too much with them except for daily walks, feeding etc for a couple of weeks, when they are new to your home. This is what I do with fosters and it just allows them to settle in and understand how the house works. Unless they are very familiar with a home through visiting etc, most dogs are going to feel some level of stress at being moved to a new environment.

Unless a dog you are minding is very well known to you, you simply don't know what they are capable of and they can behave differently in every situation.

My neighbour has an Aussie Shepherd and she's also very highly strung, they are magnificent dogs but I would never want one. His dog broke into my house on a regular basis for 2 years and I'd come home to chaos .... in the end they had to put up an electric fence to keep her in - they are very much the wrong home for a working breed to start with but her escaping was all anxiety based.

I would obviously tell your friend what happened but she also needs to understand that her dog is sensitive and I hope she doesn't take it all the wrong way and feel differently towards her dog. Most people are just normal dog owners, they don't necessarily have the experience to process this sort of information and not blame the dog.

I hope she does understand for the dog's sake.

Very sad for an Aussie ( know nothing about the breed myself ) but working dog to be in an unsuitable home. They obviously will entertain themselves if not given 'a job' & enough attention.

I has to re read your post HDM. I'm amazed that the dog was actually breaking into YOUR home & causing chaos :eek:

Gosh poor dog must have been left to it's own devices far to often reading between the lines...

A dog not used to that situation and particularly being and Aussie - how was it going to end?

Treat it like it's at a boarding kennel. Crate it, walk it, outside time then back in the crate for it's own good. Dogs with no skills left to free run this is what happens.

Man you need a dog run set up in your backyard :p

Kirty, what very tricky/difficult situation you have got yourself into only because you were kind enough to mind your friends dog :grouphug: Very pleased your daughter is OK.

I agree with others. You have to tell your friend. What the solution to this problem, I don't know apart from getting help from

a credited Vet/Behaviorist which is very difficult if cash strapped.

I agree just tell her but make sure she knows everything was handled and maybe suggest some extra training, even NILIF kind of stuff she can do at home. My Aussie would probably freak out at a child throwing a tantrum too but she'd smother them in kisses :laugh: she's very easily affected by people's emotions and behaviour.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Jane I have known this dog since she was 8 weeks old. I see her 2-3 times a week. She isn't a foster, and she was only going to be here a week so I had no problem allowing her on the furniture as that is what she is used to.

I understand she isn't a foster but if she's staying in your home for the first time, it's like any other dog coming in (maybe it's not the first time she's stayed) to a new home, it can be stressful - whether they are fosters or not. Fosters are dogs from other people's homes too. :)

I'm just suggesting a little less interaction might be easier on her.

Exactly, I don't blame the dog for her reaction. However I don't believe my dogs would reach a state like that just because they were in a strange environment. In fact I KNOW they wouldn't because they have been placed in such a situation many times.

You are a very kind and caring person.

I think that the situation requires nothing more than a request to your friend that she doesn't put her dog in a very stressful situation.

As I have implied in my previous post....

I love my dogs more than I can say; they are gorgeous, obedient and well behaved beings.... but....

Would I trust them in the extreme stress situation? Nope!!!

Maybe it's just me. No trust in my "babies" :eek:

Edited by Kajtek

Yep, the difference between my boss's Aussie and this dog is amazing. :( She has always been very full-on, I believe the breeder was wrong to give this pup to my friend. My friend wanted a laid back Aussie.

frown.gif

There are laid back individuals, but they are still a working breed.

I agree with Nekhbet, set the dog up into a strict routine while it is remaining with you and be calmly open with your friend. As hard as a situation it is, She needs to know.

Perhaps get some advice on a trainer in her area that you can recommend to her to help?

I wish I had you for a friend!! I agree the friend should be told...but gently ... I can relate with her as I am somewhat soft with the dogs...It will mean so much for her to get away for a break ,so I would not burst her bubble . Is there a way you could help her with training her dog? There are many good training vids on you tube etc . I do one with an online NZ. Trainer ,recommended to me on DF. It's really helpful and not too expensive. :)

Never say never ,many people think there dogs will be awesome when there not there & often are horrified to find they did things they never expected because there not in there world.

You had a dog there that has an issue with men & not use to children ,irrespective if its flighty it had to deal with a new home,new rules & things that give it grief & couldn't escape from .

No excuse for the biting but i would say many dogs wouldn't deal with a child chucking a tainty when there not use to it .

So a very overwhelming environment for the dog even short term .

But yes she needs to now so it doesn't happen again & she pays the ultimate price but i would be very peeved if i wasn't told & something did happen

The dog has been around kids a lot, my friend has older kids than mine and their house is busy and loud like mine. That's partly why I am so shocked by her behaviour. She has also been to my house before and was nothing like this.

And while I don't think my dogs would NEVER bite, they have been in places away from me, new people, new things etc and never shown aggression or that level of anxiety.

I'm just fostering a new dog whose owners went into a nursing home - I was told he was good with kids and he was great with my neighbour's little boy last week when he saw him (I'm always very careful when I'm getting to know a new dog) - he was friendly and wanted a pat.

Last week he also went to the vet - he'd been gorgeous and cuddly with me. He was so difficult at the vets for a simply heartworm test that he had to be put under a light anaesthetic ...

Yesterday on our walk we met some other kids (2 lots) who are also great kids but are around 10-12 - they were very nicely behaved and wanted to pat this little cutie but he started growling and backing away.

I was very shocked and although I've only had him 2 weeks, I now believe he'll need a special home and one without any exposure to kids.

Unfortunately it's hard to tell with some dogs, this one's very anxious too ... not what I was expecting.

Kirty wasn't seeking advice on how to manage the dog in her home, saying she couldn't understand how it happened or asking how to prevent it happening again. I'm sure lesson is learnt and next time she would do things differently.

She was asking for advice on how to tell her friend what happened and best help her moving forward. I'm not sure all the advice on what kirty "should have done" is all that necessary TBH.

Well put SG.

Kirty - if I was your friend, doing it over a bottle of wine a day or 2 after I got home would work a treat. Give her at least the first night to love being back home with her dog, without any stress.

And if it were me, complimenting other aspects of the dog before or with the information would work best... Example below :)

I loved having *dog* around, she's such a (funny/special/sweet/smoochy) girl isn't she...

Before you go on your next trip I think it would be worthwhile to do x training with her, she's so clever but she did show some anxiety without you...

Kirty wasn't seeking advice on how to manage the dog in her home, saying she couldn't understand how it happened or asking how to prevent it happening again. I'm sure lesson is learnt and next time she would do things differently.

She was asking for advice on how to tell her friend what happened and best help her moving forward. I'm not sure all the advice on what kirty "should have done" is all that necessary TBH.

Good thinking.

If she had done things different the dog may never had bitten it works both ways when you house sit someones elses dog

I'd like to know if my dog did something like that (same as I'd like to know if someone was looking after my kids and they did something out of the ordinary)

I'd just explain it just have you have here, let her decide if she wants to take any action towards getting assistance or training with the dog.

• 2 weeks later...