Sale Of Animals On Gumtree

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only body in Australia that is recognised through out the world is the ANKC.

This is the only body that is accepted thought the world for the registration and showing of pure bred dogs and the transfer of those dog to different countries and owners.

And NO I won't sign your petition.!!!!!

I consider that I am an ethical registered breeder with the ANKC and I have the right to advertise anywhere I want to.

I breed and show quality dogs and carefully screen buyers to the best of my ability and de sex all pups not on the main register and health test where it is available.

I believe there is not a lot more that I and others of the same ilk can do to provide the purchasing public with quality pet puppies, so don't try and take away our right to advertise where we want to.

No not signing it.

I see that a few more purebred KC registered pups /dogs are being advertised on there

Which is a good thing :)

I might just duck in and put my new litter up there later today to demonstrate the difference to those who are looking for a Maremma baby.

No not signing it.

I see that a few more purebred KC registered pups /dogs are being advertised on there

Which is a good thing :)

I might just duck in and put my new litter up there later today to demonstrate the difference to those who are looking for a Maremma baby.

: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:thumbsup:

It's just one place to advertise and since they first began, gumtree has tried hard to put a few rules in place. They do respond to the report function as far as I know.

Gumtree is owned by ebay.

Pet sales are banned on Australian ebay (not on Ebay Classifieds in countries such as the US) so they will always be on Gumtree as far as I can forsee. If they are ever banned then the other sites will do fine. The sellers won't be at any disadvantage whatsoever, google can find you pups anywhere.

I get it that it's got a bad reputation but people need to remember all the other places pets are advertised, including the local shops and telegraph poles. And why do paid classifieds not have petitions out about them?

It's nice to hear breeders and rescues have been successful with their advertising but I tried it years ago and omg I just couldn't deal with the nutcases incl the rescue ones who message you to say 'how very dare you use gumtree!!!!!!!!'. :rofl:

The only thing that will work against disreputable sellers/breeders etc is helping people make the right choices and avoid being lied to or ripped off. Don't badger them or abuse them for making their choice, we just need good pet owners, not alienated ones.

I actually think that ethical breeders advertising their pups, with relevant notes about health testing etc, is a good thing - might make the general public aware that it is better to buy from someone who does the right thing when breeding :)

I understand the confusion, when I first started looking into bull arabs it just seemed to be a bunch of random pigging dogs.

But there are dedicated breeders that aren't just or out to make a quick dollar.

The registry does have a breed standard, it's not just whatever you think is gonna make a good lugging dog..

Bull arabs are a bit of a messy exampleas they are still in the development stages.

American Bulldogs are actually a recognised breed and are shown in confirmation in a number of different countries. No one appears to have taken the steps to get them recognised here.

Steve actually posted a number of years ago on what it takes to get a breed recognised here.

Which you can find here: http://www.dolforums...kc/page__st__15

Edit: American Bulldogs aren't recognised by the AKC, but a handful of others which is why they aren't recognised by ANKC as yet

that link is for regs required for dogs which are already recognised over seas - this is the current one for ANKC recognition of new breeds which are not yet recognised by an overseas participating registry.

10.2 Requirements for the recognition of any breed which isnot yet recognised in its

Country of Origin or Development (05/00)

10.2.1 Any new breed or breed of dog “under development”must have a unique

breed name, and is not a combination of recognised breednames or part of a

recognised breed name and it must be pertinent to thepurpose of the breed.

(02/08) (Amended 10/09, 6.3.5) That there be a parent breedclub sponsoring the breed.

• The parent club to be an organisation (usually anIncorporated Body)

covering the whole of Australia that has acted as the StudBook

Register for the breed for a minimum of fifteen [15] years.This

organisation has been keeping records of all dogs bred inthe breed

in Australia. Not as some people misunderstand that thebreed has

been around for fifteen [15] years. (10/02)

10.2.3 The parent breed club to supply:

• An authenticated copy of the Breed Standard

• General information of the breed, such as additional textexpanding

on the breed standard, photographs and diagrams to allowANKC Ltd

to prepare an appropriate Breed Standard Extension. Theimporter

shall also provide written approval for the use of thismaterial. (10/06,

6.1.2)

• Details of the history and numbers registered

10.2.4 ANKC Ltd to assess whether the breed is consideredsufficiently viable

from the above information, taking into account that:

10.2.4.1 Minimum Number of dogs registered be 500

That at the time of application there must be 500 dogs ofthe breed

alive and all of the 500 dogs must be entire (none of themto be

neutered). (10/02)

10.2.4.2 Minimum time the breed has been in existence be 15years.

That there has been a parent club (usually an IncorporatedBody)

covering the whole of Australia that has acted as the StudBook

Register for the breed for a minimum period of fifteen [15]years.

Not that someone has been breeding the breed for fifteen[15]

years. (10/02)

10.2.4.3 Minimum time the breed has been in existence be 15years.

This means that only those dogs with a 5-generation pedigreewill

be eligible for acceptance on to ANKC Ltd register at thetime, if

and when, the breed is adopted as an official ANKC LtdBreed.

The 5-generation pedigree does not apply to the 500 dogs onthe

Register. (10/02)

The following requirements from Section 9.1 “Requirementsfor the

Recognition of Any Breed which is recognised in its Countryof Origin or

Development” shall also apply. These requirements are:(10/06, 6.1.2)

10.2.6 The Breed Standards Coordinator collates the aboveand checks the

translation of the Standard into English where appropriate.

10.2.7 The Administrator circulates the Standard andadditional information to all

member bodies for comment and formal adoption at the nextconference.

10.2.8 Breeds recognised from the 1st July to the 31stDecember shall be shall be

eligible for entry on to the purebred register forthwith andshall be effective

from the 1st July the following year for exhibitionpurposes. (10/06, 6.1.2)

Breeds recognised from the 1st January to the 30th Juneshall be shall be

eligible for entry on to the purebred register forthwith andshall be effective

from the 1st January the following year for exhibitionpurposes. (10/06, 6.1.2)

10.2.10 When a new breed arrives in Australia, the breed theStandards Coordinator

and the Administrator must be notified. [Added 16/10/97]

10.3 The Non Consideration of a New Breed

ANKC Ltd will not consider the recognition of a new breedwhere the dogs have been

registered with an overseas Canine Controlling Body that isnot recognised by ANKC

Ltd. (10/06, 6.1.2) (Amended 10/13 – 5.6.4)

I think we all need to be very careful about signing some of the petitions doing the rounds, before we have carefully considered the implications of signing.

In this case, pet ads are banned from Gumtree. They are already banned from ebay. Then a petition comes around asking that pup ads be banned from newspapers.

That leaves very few places for anyone with litters to advertise. Pedigrees - on dogzonline. No advertising for anyone else. So, what do people who had an accidental litter do?

Petshop? (But we want to ban them selling pups)

Give them away? (and who would take them?)

Keep them?

Euthanise them?

And then a petition goes around banning pet ads on dog sites such as dogzonline. Then pedigree breeders cannot find a market for their litters. So they stop breeding.

Result? No more dogs.

We need to be very vigilant about animal rights and their intentions to stop pet ownership. No matter what guise - PETA, HSUS, Animals Australia, Animal Lib, and some branches of the RSPCA.

I have advertised a couple of litters on gumtree, got great enquiries, and sold to some fabulous people who had never heard of dogzonline, but did want a registered dog.

Trust we breeders to weed out the unsatisfactory, and uncaring but do let registered dogs continue to be advertised on Gumtree - and such places. Also, if people can see the difference between purebred, registered dogs/pups advertised, and what they offer and muttleys or oodles and doodles, it gives them some yardstick, and comparison.

I think we all need to be very careful about signing some of the petitions doing the rounds, before we have carefully considered the implications of signing.

In this case, pet ads are banned from Gumtree. They are already banned from ebay. Then a petition comes around asking that pup ads be banned from newspapers.

That leaves very few places for anyone with litters to advertise. Pedigrees - on dogzonline. No advertising for anyone else. So, what do people who had an accidental litter do?

Petshop? (But we want to ban them selling pups)

Give them away? (and who would take them?)

Keep them?

Euthanise them?

And then a petition goes around banning pet ads on dog sites such as dogzonline. Then pedigree breeders cannot find a market for their litters. So they stop breeding.

Result? No more dogs.

We need to be very vigilant about animal rights and their intentions to stop pet ownership. No matter what guise - PETA, HSUS, Animals Australia, Animal Lib, and some branches of the RSPCA.

I have advertised a couple of litters on gumtree, got great enquiries, and sold to some fabulous people who had never heard of dogzonline, but did want a registered dog.

Trust we breeders to weed out the unsatisfactory, and uncaring but do let registered dogs continue to be advertised on Gumtree - and such places. Also, if people can see the difference between purebred, registered dogs/pups advertised, and what they offer and muttleys or oodles and doodles, it gives them some yardstick, and comparison.

:thumbsup: So well said, Jed!