Allergy To Glucosamine

Glen

Wondering if others have had their dog react to glucosamine chondroitin with msm. I started my dog on this four weeks ago and he now has a fiercely red tummy and is itching badly. Stopped taking it two days ago, but no relief yet. I don't know if the supplement is the problem but wondered if others have had a similar reaction.

Wondering if others have had their dog react to glucosamine chondroitin with msm. I started my dog on this four weeks ago and he now has a fiercely red tummy and is itching badly. Stopped taking it two days ago, but no relief yet. I don't know if the supplement is the problem but wondered if others have had a similar reaction.

If it is only his tummy that has the rash, I'd be looking at a contact allergy. Where has he been lying?

Do you know if your dog has any reactions to shellfish?

Suggest contacting the manufacturer after the weekend and getting some advice from them. Assuming it is a dog product (not human), they may have a vet or other expert available to help you identify if indeed it is the supplement.

Sags

:)

I would also think maybe a contact allergy to a grass or similar.

However it is possible, it is also possible that he is allergic to one of the fillers in the tablet.

If it is indeed the glucosamine, maybe try another anti inflammatory.

Some include:

- rosehip vital canine

- tumeric golden paste

- ginger

In my experience, if my dog eats something he is allergic to the response is much sooner than 4 weeks.

Henry is allergic to grains, just in two days he will have shown symptoms.

Also in the meantime calendula tea would help soothe :)

Or even cooled green tea.

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. He is now clearing up and tummy, feet etc. are almost back to normal. I have to suspect the glucosamine chondroitin with MSM as nothing else has changed. I'm surprised that it took so long to become a real problem, (about 4 weeks) and also surprised that it has taken a week to get him back to almost normal. He is an allergy prone dog, came to me in a dreadful state a couple of years ago as a stray. Owner when found didn't want him back. I sort of suspect why. Anyhow, this latest problem seems to have been resolved. Your input helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there's this really good group on Face Book called "Dog Allergy International Group" that just started 3 weeks ago, the lady that runs the group Michele has 2 dogs with food intolerances to certain ingredients & environment allergies & if I remember correctly there's another lady called "Deb Jessie" & her dog also can not have Glucosamine https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogallergyinternationalgroup/

Thank you for this. Just what we need. The glucosamine problem has cleared up but he is a very allergy ridden boy. He has all sorts of other problems that advice for would be great. Thanks so much.