Chipped Tip Of Molar

Hi all,

I am going crazy anxious with Lexie's continuous problem throughout her puppyhood till now - going to be 2 year old this May.

Some history (can skip to main topic below):

She is diagnosed with Ulcerative Eosinophilic Stomatitis and has been going through treatment / surgery with SASH. So the vet in SASH is currently out of idea on how to treat Lexi because the ulceration just wouldn't go away and it is only focused on one area of her throat (left upper).

Then, she broke two of her lower premolar (both sides) from nylon bone end of last year and has left roots in her gum. She loves the chew and is addicted to the nylon bone or anything that is tough - deer antler, bones, etc.

We decided to do the waiting game as advised by vet sometimes the roots will die by itself and get dissolved into the body. However, after 3 months her gum was infected as she goes through more chewing. Believe to have the root poking on the gum and create opening for bacteria to go in.

As she is still trying to recover from her ulceration with medication, we also had her on the medication with All Natural Vet Care. She was booked in for surgery to extract the roots on Jan 2015. Came out good with stitches. However, her ulceration flare back up pretty badly but this is due to the pipe that was put through her throat during anaesthetic that might have triggered it off. So we had to get her through the cycle of Predisolone, antibiotics and also continue with the ANVC's herbs medication.

To date her, she is still under the small doses of Pred with ANVC herbs.

The main topic:

Just last weekend, I gave her a bone and she managed to chipped off the tip of her first molar teeth - lower jaw. crying.gifcrying.gifWhy why why banghead.gif Or maybe she might have chipped it earlier I don't know! But she is not having any problem chewing further on the bone or the antler that day. I took all hard chewing stuff away now. I didn't notice much of behaviour changes. I just had the habit of checking her teeth after the previous broken premolars experience!

After much googling, by the look of it, she has chipped off the enamel part and exposed the dentin area (can't see any chip on the dentin area though). Very tiny chip as it is at the very top of the molar. I couldn't get any photo as she struggles a lot but manage to peak on it couple of times. I read all about the possible procedures. I do believe it appears that Lexie may have what they call it enamel fracture or uncomplicated crown fracture - where the pulp is not exposed.

I find I am leaning towards the 'wait and see' again because of her throat condition - I can't find a way to avoid having the pipe through her throat again during surgery to get her molar crown. Then flaring up her ulceration, then going through another bouts of medications. crying.gifPlus getting the tooth crown may not guarantee that the crown will not fall off , looking at her love of chewing.

Having mixed feelings though as her first molar is consider the biggest one and I really do not want her to loose that tooth. ArggghhH!!!!!!!! banghead.gif or maybe she is better off without any teeth!! crying.gif

Contacting vets:

I've just sent an email to the vet in SASH to asked if this is related to long term Pred that may have caused the weakening of enamel? Calcium deficiency if any? We will be having our revisit with ANVC this coming week or next, so perhaps the vet can advise as well on her tooth and see what we can do in the mean time, if bully stick is ok and no more hard chew stuff.

Lexie is at her usual self. No issue in eating and still wanting to chew on stuff. Plays with her soft toys, runs around, etc.

Any ideas / advices are much appreciated.

Kind regards

Lisa

I think if she's not distressed I would wait and see - it does sound like a small chip. If there's any blackness or discolouration of the tooth, or any sign of pain, then you won't have a choice...

My dog that was on cortisone long term definitely suffered from weakening of the enamel of his teeth and they quickly wore almost completely down to nothing.

omg, I thought I was going insane by thinking so!! frown.gif

Thank you for letting me know! I think that is why!! her teeth were all some how worn down so quickly comparing to last time. I am so so upset for not picking up this earlier. I can see that her enamels on most of her premolar & molar are 'filed' down due to chewing the antler.

For the chipped enamel of her first molar.... I am shocked to see it frown.gif

My dog that was on cortisone long term definitely suffered from weakening of the enamel of his teeth and they quickly wore almost completely down to nothing.

Forgot to ask, did you give some calcium supplements?

I think if she's not distressed I would wait and see - it does sound like a small chip. If there's any blackness or discolouration of the tooth, or any sign of pain, then you won't have a choice...

She is active and happy. Loves to eat.

Noted on the blackness or discolouration. frown.gif sigh.. another bumper

Might need to find some calcium supplements

Edited due to typo

Edited by ChewieTAG

Stella has chipped the top off one of her eye teeth . Doesn't bother her at all & the tooth is still pearly white along with others. Did show Vet on last visit & she said it was fine.

Thanks!

I called up the vet in SASH. He said if you can't see the pulp or nerves exposed - anything bleeding or red colour dots/ black dots, etc then let's wait and see. It's still ok. Probably just need to get her for teeth clean up in few months time. The yearly teeth clean up type.

So I will wait and also ask All Natural Vet Care this coming Friday.