Old English Sheepdog

storm

Very rarely see OES's around. I don't know why they are a lovely dog. Maybe too much grooming for most folks. Only ones I see are on TV.

Didn't know you had one Kirty. He sounds lovely ☺

I just don't think people think of them. Definitely not the grooming, the larger oodles need just as much if not more and are very popular..

Being a dog person, when a friend asked me for a fluffy breed comparable to an oodle's coat but purebred and larger than a lagotto and not a beardie, i didnt even think of these guys. But i think they would fit excellently !

I went to edit and the cat was helping...Hence being deleted.

Needed help with 2 things

My oes is confused and thinks hes a Newfoundland, he is so water focused hes driving me nuts.

I was looking at ways to help get him out of the habit. He cant drink without his feet in the bowl, if hes using the small one or its its a bit bigger he sits in it. He has since found the dam so he either goes swimming or lays in the mud on the bank daily. I cant fence of the dam. I have had his coat trimmed a bit to help buts its made no difference. I want him to be with me inside more but Im sick of having to wash or rinse him off to bring him in all the time

He sleeps on a coolmat or he wont come inside.

Being a puppy he is full of energy which I try to keep him entertained so he is exhausted but hes just full of energy. He is using the CC and the cats as squeaky toys, he starts to play nicely but gets to rough.. I wasn't sure what was the right way to get him to stop without causing more problems.

The last OES I had helped train my last OES pup, I didnt realize how much help he was.

Im happy to chat about OES and need to learn about training a puppy again thats the class clown

Can I just ask about getting an OES clipped? I'm just curious why people would buy one of these dogs and keep them clipped. It seems strange to me because I find their coat is part of their charm and appeal (to me personally) so I wouldn't dream of clipping one.

I guess I see it as buying a Puli (for example) then having the corded coat cut off. I don't know. That's why I'm asking! :)

Can I just ask about getting an OES clipped? I'm just curious why people would buy one of these dogs and keep them clipped. It seems strange to me because I find their coat is part of their charm and appeal (to me personally) so I wouldn't dream of clipping one.

I guess I see it as buying a Puli (for example) then having the corded coat cut off. I don't know. That's why I'm asking! :)

Because the full coat is A LOT of work. Especially if you have a dog who loves running outside and gathering stick and dirt etc. laugh.gif

If i got one i would keep it clipped, but not naked i think. I also like to see their eyes, which typically you cant embarrass.gif

RSA the full coated dogs require brushing every single day and the hair around their face is kept in wraps to keep it clean. They need to be washed and blow dried once a week, which is a 3hr plus job. I love the look of the full coat but I definitely don't have the time to maintain it. Not go mention that they love to romp in the rain and get dirty...

The coat is part of there appeal and admit a OES in full coat is stunning but thats a hell of a lot of work. There nature is also a big draw card. They are lovely dogs. I have clipped my boys feet, under his belly and around his face. As even as a puppy with him playing and being in the dam its hard to keep these part clean.

To keep them knot free you need to spend at least a hr each day and that's not for show grooming. Mine loves nothing more then to go swimming, roll in duck or kangaroo poop.