Outside Looking In

For years I was involved in rescue and loved every minute of it, those gorgeous doggies that found wonderful new homes.

Now, after having my own dogs for 16 years (two were rescue failures) who lived spoilt and pampered lives right to the end, I find myself trying to find new dogs to love and pamper.

I have applied several times for specific dogs that I felt would suit this family - bearing in mind, that we are looking at a lifetime of them being a part of this family, so we need to know they are suitable for this family.

The experience has been rather like applying for a job... most of my applications have NOT been acknowledged, or after some weeks, I have been told they have already been rehomed or someone else was more suitable. That is not what I'm concerned about as any dog finding a new good home is wonderful, but from the outside looking in perspective, this lack of communication from rescues to potential new homes is disheartening.

With so many wonderful doggies looking for a stable lifetime home, I wonder why this (meaning me!) particular family have not had offers coming out of the woodwork???

We ended up getting one dog that was advertised (not in rescue) and now have a bouncy boisterous Kelpie male puppy (6 months old) who is going to puppy school longer term. We need a gentle dog that is able to tolerate his bouncy ways and be a calm influence on him (he responds well to these dogs). Do I keep persevering with rescue in an attempt to offer a dog another opportunity to live the good life, or do I go to the classifieds on line - no questions asked?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be frustrating, I'm not sure which state you are in or which rescues you've been applying to or where you've seen the ads.

If you are looking on Petrescue, you can make a complaint if you don't hear back from a rescue group. I agree that it isn't good enough not to get a response for weeks ...

I'm on Petrescue and I make sure I respond to every single applicant - even if they've only written one word ...

From my side, when I get a Petrescue enquiry I have generally answered or asked a question about the dog and NEVER get a response, don't know where they go but presumably they've found another dog.

In today's world we are often expected to answer an email or call within minutes which isn't humanly possible, many of us do have to work day jobs and have normal responsibilities to manage on top of that.

I know that isn't the case with you but if I ring people only a few hours after they sent me an enquiry, they've often found a dog already, somewhere else.

Are you looking for a particular breed? I do general rescue as well as breed specific rescue and perhaps I can point you in the right direction?

I have found that a lot of rescue groups do not have a phone number any more so we have to rely on emails, which can be frustrating I feel if you are a rescue you really should have a phone number. I have sent emails in the last couple of weeks and have not heard back, yet....so yes it is rude and unprofessional.

Just my thoughts.

Guest RosieFT

I know of a family who really wanted to rescue a dog and did all the right things, and sent in applications and contacted a few different rescues, and just never heard back. They ended up getting their dog elsewhere. I don't think it is an uncommon scenario.

My sister was knocked back by a breed rescue a few years ago. This was a person who had previously owned this breed and the dog had a wonderful life and was well loved. She said she could get a reference from her vet who was also a neighbour who often saw this dog out and about. This dog was very well known in her inner city suburb. My sister spent over $10,000 in oncology fees and surgery associated with a cancer this dog had when she was about 10yrs - giving the dog another 4 years of a happy life

The reason given for not being approved was that the four adults in the household worked full time; despite the fact that they all worked different hours so the dog would not even have been alone all that often. My sister ended up getting a pup from the breeder she got her first dog from but it has soured her about rescue organisations.

My sister was knocked back by a breed rescue a few years ago. This was a person who had previously owned this breed and the dog had a wonderful life and was well loved. She said she could get a reference from her vet who was also a neighbour who often saw this dog out and about. This dog was very well known in her inner city suburb. My sister spent over $10,000 in oncology fees and surgery associated with a cancer this dog had when she was about 10yrs - giving the dog another 4 years of a happy life

The reason given for not being approved was that the four adults in the household worked full time; despite the fact that they all worked different hours so the dog would not even have been alone all that often. My sister ended up getting a pup from the breeder she got her first dog from but it has soured her about rescue organisations.

As someone who rehomes 3 different breeds that very commonly suffer from separation anxiety, some dogs simply cannot live alone and there will be a time when all householders will be out - dinner, weddings, birthdays and so on. Those are the times when an experienced rescuer will know that the dog will cause trouble due to anxiety so no matter what, I simply don't rehome these dogs as only dogs.

I'm sorry that this put your sister off rescue in general and I don't think it's very fair.

One of our jobs is to ensure that we are making the right match and sadly for some people, if you read a profile that says must have another dog then this is usually because it is known that the dog can't live alone and yet this doesn't stop applicants trying to convince me that their home is different, their home will be ok because they've decided that dog is the one they want.

I also rescue other dogs and some dogs take such constant joy in play/interaction or comfort being with another dog that I don't rehome them as only dogs either ....

Nothing wrong with getting a dog from a registered breeder however :)

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Before I got Ernie I spent SIX MONTHS applying for dogs. At home mum, older children, 1000 m sq foot 6ft colour bond fences, experienced owner, blah blah blah.

I lost out on rescuing an 8 month old kelpie to a very elderly retired couple. In six months, that was the only response I got and I filled out all their forms. All but the kelpie went into a black hole of no return. Even voice mails went unreturned.

So I went back to the breeder who I'd been speaking to about chocolate labs, and lucky me -- the pick of the litter was now available.

I love Ernie too bits but I really wish I'd had a chance to give a rescue dog the great life Ernie has now. I don't read the rescue pages anymore.

Ps. I was not picky about breed either - just medium size.

ETA because autocorrect knows best. Not.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Some rescues won't let you have a dog unless you have a doggy door. :shrug:

So that's my failure reasons?

And I thought it was the 8 foot fences that have 2ft of metal dug underneath so no dog can dig out....

DaddyVizsla bomb-proofed the back yard entirely.

I have a friend who wanted a rescue dog. She was 64 years old, fit & healthy, has had dogs all her life, done Obedience etc, lives on small acreage ...ticks all the right boxes, but they wouldn't let her rescue because they said she was too old :eek: She ended up buying a mixed breed mutt from Gumtree :(

64 is too old! I'd better go out and stock up on pups then. :laugh:

Realistically anything could happen to anyone of us, so as long as there is a back up plan I can't see a problem.

Is it only 64 year olds who need a back up plan or is it all potential adopters?

Realistically anything could happen to anyone of us, so as long as there is a back up plan I can't see a problem.

Is it only 64 year olds who need a back up plan or is it all potential adopters?

Good point. I have a back up plan and I'm not 64.

When I was involved in rescuing I rehomed a kelpie to a couple in their 70s. He was very active and walked miles every day. During the process we discussed what would happen if he was unable to walk the dog etc and they had already discussed this and had a back up plan which I was satisfied with.

When I was involved in rescuing I rehomed a kelpie to a couple in their 70s. He was very active and walked miles every day. During the process we discussed what would happen if he was unable to walk the dog etc and they had already discussed this and had a back up plan which I was satisfied with.

Thank you I have a back up plan but I am in my 70s. I also expect to live another 20 years as did my mother and both her sisters. Everyone should have a backup plan though.

I have a full time job - when I put a phone number on the site I got constant phone calls during the day. Probably 70% of inquiries are of the "is this dog still available?" ilk, which can be easily handled by email. For people who need more information or a longer conversation I call them. I try and get back to people, but there's one of me and dozens of emails and it can take a fair chunk of time to answer each of them individually.

I have found that a lot of rescue groups do not have a phone number any more so we have to rely on emails, which can be frustrating I feel if you are a rescue you really should have a phone number. I have sent emails in the last couple of weeks and have not heard back, yet....so yes it is rude and unprofessional.

Just my thoughts.

A long time ago now I was asked to do a home check for a rescue and I couldn't get there so someone else did it. When I asked how it went I was told the decision not to allow them to take a dog was because it was 10.30 in the morning and the kids were still in their PJ'S. That day I threw out all of my kids pyjamas and from then on they slept it track pants and T shirts or sloppy joes so if anyone ever came to visit and they were not dressed in what they felt was good time I wouldn't be judged.

of course not all dogs will suit all families but I do think some have gone a bit over the top.

I also get frustrated when I leave messages and try to contact a rescue to never get a response - even when Im not looking for a dog and Im trying to give them something

I turn 64 next week and am already planning for my next dog :) Mr. Sheena just turned 68 & has just taken out "Best All Rounder" in the Cricket comp & last year walked the Kokoda Track. We are certainly not ready to hang up our leads :laugh: