Saliva Stains On Dog Fur

I have a dog with a cream coat that has developed bad stains around his muzzle from saliva. Does anyone know a good way to clean off these stains. Normal dog shampoo has not really helped. Any ideas appreciated.

Hi waggy.

The saliva stains will not wash off. There are products that help with tear staining around the eyes, which is essentially the same thing, but many of them have little effect.

There is one product called Angel Eyes that is marketed for tear stains, that is a food additive, which may help lessen the stain over time.

The best line of defence is to keep the area as dry as possible. Unfortunately being a saliva stain around the mouth that will be difficult. Keeping the coat as short as possible will minimise the visual look of the stain.

The only way to really remove the stain is to trim off the affected hair.

What type of dog do you have, and how old? Some breeds are more prone to stain because of coat colour and being long haired around the mouth. Other breeds are excessively drooly which will add to the problem. Otherwise, if it is a new thing, I would want the dog checked thoroughly around the lips, mouth and teeth to make sure everything is normal and healthy. There are some conditions that may cause a dog to suddenly become more drooly than before.

Edited by GrufLife

^^^^^ what Gruffy said thumbsup1.gif. I have two elderly westies and a younger one and they all have saliva stains around the muzzle to varying degrees. I've never found a solution either so I just live with it! I think it shows how much they enjoy their food! My girl also had badly saliva stained paws from who knows what. She constantly licked them. But interestingly since I've been back in the new/old house, the licking is much much less - I've taken all chicken out of her diet and she has different grass in the backyard, no ivy and seems less stressed. So I'd also be looking at those things too. smile.gif

Hi my guy is a Westie too . Had a vet check recently so don't think it is a health issue. Have tried Pretty eyes and only a small improvement. Just wondering if there was something better to use .

No it doesn't sound like it. If you stretch the bottom lip out there is usually a concentrated area of stained hairs around halfway along the bottom lip, in the little fold known as the flew. Trimming the hairs out of that folded area right at the skin can help reduce the look of the stain, as can using thinning shears judiciously throughout the stained area. Both of those options can reduce the look of the stain without destroying the integrity of the bearded look. If it is mor of a lick stain on the hairs on the top lip right up next to the nose, once again, thoughtful trimming of the hairs right up next to the skin can reduce the look of the stain. Care is needed trimming the hair around the nose though, as heavy handed work can result in a "poodely" look like the dog had its nose in a pencil sharpener!